Not-So-Secret Product Placement! (MST3K Edition)

So…

I was watching Radar Secret Service the other day, and after repeated mantra-like recitations of:

“Oh, those Golden Grahams!”

I found myself thinking: “Huh. I wonder if they even still MAKE ‘Golden Grahams’.” Then I thought:

“Huh. It’s sure been a loooong time since I’ve had a bowl of 'Golden Grahams.”

Then, I checked online to see if my local grocery store carried ‘Golden Grahams’ cereal, and WHATTAYAKNOW - they did!

So the next shopping day, I bought myself a box of ‘Golden Grahams’ and soon, I was enjoying a large bowl of cardboard-tasting squares of vaguely-graham-flavored cereal.

Thanks, MST3K!

Kahn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Anyone else have this experience?

4 Likes

I always get a hankering for McDonald’s and a refreshing Coca-Cola when watching Mac & Me.

8 Likes

I don’t know, friend - I’m pretty sure this one’s just a coincidence.

2 Likes

It has happened to me, though I can’t think of a specific example from a movie at the moment, but your post just made me want a snack of Teddy Grahams!
Teddy Grahams

3 Likes

8 Likes

I liked the part in At the Earth’s Core where Tom Servo talks about Pizza Hut menu options for a looooong time.

2 Likes

It looks like Spam. I strongly recommend not trying Spam. It was like a gummy salt coated in regret.

3 Likes

Spam is only good for Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon, and Spam breakfasts made by Terry Jones in drag.

4 Likes

I’m suddenly hungry for some CARNATION ice cream.

2 Likes

As well as a basis for potential MST3K merchandise.

3 Likes

me before watching Pod People: “I don’t feel like buying any Sprite right now.”

me after watching Pod People:

mst3k303sprite

“MUST BUY ALL THE SPRITE”

2 Likes

It may be a bit off topic, but I definitely have not eaten at a Golden Corral since they started bombarding RiffTrax episodes with their product placement. Just goes to show that product placement overuse can be bad for a brand.

2 Likes

Cry Wilderness makes me jones for a Coke. Can’t imagine why.

3 Likes

The Mads sure did their bit advertising for Carvel ice cream.

4 Likes

I know how you feel. I don’t get the obsession with Dennys. Bacon is awesome. RiffTrax can keep the bacon obsession going. Some of the products I never heard of. Prince Spaghetti means nothing to me. Chef Boyardee I would understand. In Gamera vs Zigra the Coke is probably an awkward translation for soda. The drink she gets is orange colored.

It’s in various band repertoires too. Beach Boys obviously is surfing. Queen is full of astrophysics. KISS must think about sex more than a teenager. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I guess cold showers don’t remove makeup as well. :thinking: Probably a good thing the only KISS songs my mum knows were on Scooby-Doo.

1 Like