Noticed another Pay Difference tonight.

I noticed another pay difference tonight while browsing the Gizmoplex app on Apple TV vs the Website.

I was going to buy “Werewolf” and thought I would buy through Apple TV for $9.99. But I remembered that “A Touch of Satan” was $7.99 through the website.

So I checked and “Werewolf” is being offered for two different prices. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Pics included.

1 Like

I think @ivan mentioned somewhere that the price difference was due to the economics of the app companies (meaning Apple charges more for in-app purchases than the website would)

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing that posted somewhere too. As LadyShelley said, I think it has to do with the in-app charges.

5 Likes

Not surprising. Apple treats the App Store like it was a real store with vendors competing for shelf space; if you want Apple to offer your app, in-app purchase, or in-app subscription and handle the payment processing back end and app integration, it expects to receive its 30% cut. Google’s Play Store is little different. There’s a reason Amazon no longer sells ebooks in the iOS Kindle app.

3 Likes

You are entirely correct as to the reason for the discrepancy.

3 Likes

Ok, so is anybody else just completely stunned by the pricing?! I went from overwhelmingly happy and excited to just plain pissed off! WTF is up with $1000 for a 9 month pass??? Who can pay that!!! I pledged $35, which was all I could do, and I get 6 month pass. To continue I’d have to pay $1000 or more??? INSANE and so offensive I don’t have the words, or at least can’t type them here. Is this a bad joke? I mean, there are listings when browsing for a million dollars for some things, that had to be a joke or mistake. But also you have to buy or rent EVERYTHING??? This is so utterly disappointing, it’s like a nightmare. Doesn’t shout factory still have the old mst eps for free? What the hell is up with having to rent or buy literally everything here? If anybody can wake me and tell me this is a bad joke, please do so. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ve seen other subscription sites do the same thing. I have no expertise, but my guess is it’s a place-holder price that’s ridiculously high so nobody will pay it thinking it’s legit.

3 Likes

You will figure out the answer to this if you poke around here much longer – it’s been explained in the weekly emails, explained by the team here, etc. None of those prices are actual – it’s a side effect of the limitations of VHX. You won’t pay any more than a normal price for your next six months (might be a little more than the $35 Kickstarter price, but not much more.)

4 Likes

Thanks so much everybody for the explanations and help. About had a stroke! I can rest easier now and go back to excited and happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a general guide for everyone – if something looks weird or unexpected, there’s probably an explanation for it. Feel free to email us for help (kickstarter@mst3k.com should still work, although I expect we’ll have a Gizmoplex-specific help email set up soon as well, if we don’t already and I have just totally blown past it), or ask here on the forums.

We are depending on y’all to be patient and understanding through this process, as I cannot emphasize enough how small our team is, and how deeply invested we all are in creating the best possible experience for every one of you. A little kindness is appreciated as we work through the inevitable early kinks.

Thank you. :sparkling_heart:

15 Likes

That’s what my doctor said.

5 Likes

The $1000 is just a placeholder. Non-backers don’t have the option to join yet, so that ridiculously high price is there so any who somehow get into the site don’t try to join. In a few months when the Gizmoplex is open to the general public, the real price will be there. It won’t be $1,000.

At this very moment there’s a “Buy” button on the Gplex homepage that asks me to pay $1000 for access to the premiere. There’s also a paragraph there saying basically “DON’T PAY $1000 FOR THIS PRODUCT… YOU ALREADY HAVE IT.”

3 Likes
1 Like

I very much appreciate being cast as Lucy Lawless in this clip, thank you, great compliment.

6 Likes

Yeah, I was worried about it too. I’m so glad I’m not going to lose an arm and a leg in a year! XD Maybe a toe nail.

Y’all complaining about the $1,000 pricetag clearly never saw the $999,999 prices back in the old days of MST3K.VHX.

4 Likes

You mean like these two:

2 Likes

I always wondered… if some devil-may-care rich playboy was willing to pay a million bucks for it… would the transaction go through? Early access for huge money could be like an NFT.

1 Like

Uh, question. Are there seriously ONLY pay-for episodes here? So as backers, we have to PAY to rent/buy episodes? Seriously? I just went to watch a season 9 ep and it’s wanting me to rent or buy. Uh, that’s ridiculous. Shout factory has them too, netflix has 11-12, and pluto tv shows for free too. Is this temporary or permanent, like the high costs that will go down?