Obscure Nostalgia

What’s your favorite obscure childhood film/show? Anything that you’ve never been able to find and watch again as an adult? Something you feel a lonely fandom for because nobody else remembers seeing it? Or something that’s overdrawn itself in the ol’ memory bank, and you can only remember teasing bits and pieces of, but have never been able to put a name to?

8 Likes

So many good ones to name, but to start, one that’s always stood out strongly in my kiddo memory but I haven’t been able to find the last thirty years is The Animalympics.

Anyone also miss the early Astrix and Obelix movies (Cleopatra, Twelve Tasks, and Versus Caesar)? Animated treasures <3

9 Likes

I used to like commando Cody. Even as a child the cliffhangers made me laugh, at the end of one episode he’s nearly killed by lava but the next episode it’s nowhere near him and he sees a way out. The only time I have seen it since is on mst3k.

6 Likes

I remember as a kid I used to watch this Canadian TV show called Today’s Special, about a department store partially staffed by a puppet security guard, a male mannequin who could be turned into a human by saying a magic phrase, a female worker who’d stay on night shift to play around with the male (and set up store displays for the next day), and a puppet mouse who could talk. It was sort of like Sesame Street, in that you had humans interacting with puppets as though this were perfectly normal, and each episode taught a lesson of some sort, so it was supposed to be educational. Have never seen it since, but every so often I get an earworm of the show’s theme song stuck in my head and it reminds me of a few memorable moments from the show.

17 Likes
6 Likes

I also watched Today’s Special as a kid in Maryland on cable a long time ago. One of the best shows/theme songs-it was a crazy show lol.
The outro music is fantastic too :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I fondly (?) remember a time when they gave a Martin Short character his own Saturday morning cartoon.

9 Likes

I had this on VHS and I watched it over and over. I’d love a good quality copy.

2 Likes

It looks like it’s on YouTube! Good condition too.

4 Likes

Other than some interlacing issues, this isn’t too bad of a copy.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve seen that one before, but I would like at least a DVD-quality version.

1 Like

I remember that too. It used to air on Nickelodeon in the US when I was a kid.

Another show I only vaguely remember from the same time beyond the theme song is Pinwheel.

7 Likes

It might be worth trying to find better copies of the individual cartoons.

4 Likes

I’ve found some around, but not all. My favorite, Mirror People, seems to be almost lost except for full length versions like that. But I will keep looking.

2 Likes

Anyone else remember The Mind’s Eye and Beyond the Mind’s Eye?

I was blown away by these animations when I was younger, watched the tapes over and over. :blush:

9 Likes

Yes. The best was Gate to the Mind’s Eye because Thomas Dolby did the music.

That said, I didn’t like how they edited down the animation to fit the video.

2 Likes

When I was a kid my friend’s parents were watching these. They had rented a couple from Blockbuster. They were like “This was all made on a computer.” I was astounded.

4 Likes

Sports Cartoon

8 Likes

getting introduced to british tv as an american through nick ;o)

7 Likes

Absolutely! Sadly, I think I lost a copy of Beyond in a move. Pretty sure. Gonna look later today.

3 Likes