Obscure Nostalgia

Anyone remember Galaxy Rangers? Watched it to death as a kid. The space- western vibe was ahead of its time IMHO. Always thought this would be a good candidate for a more mature update for Toonami, a la Thundercats.

(Yes, which would lead to it getting screwed by the network, a la Thundercats…)

7 Likes

I’ve only met one person in real life that shares the memory of Pinwheel with me, for decades I thought that show was just some weird childhood fever dream. And speaking of fever dream, that’s the show I remember these two from:

It’s still mesmerizing to me even now. The cubes, the music, the everything.

11 Likes

I too remember Pinwheel. I couldn’t forget that theme melody if I tried.

5 Likes

I have to thank you upfront: I vaguely remembered Beyond the Mind’s Eye but googling it just now led me to seeing an animation I remembered seeing in high school that had always stuck with me but I couldn’t remember enough about it to find it anywhere online and now I have.

Stanley & Stella:

You’ve ended years of blank stares as I try to describe this to people to see if anyone else had seen it or knew what I was talking about.

6 Likes

+1 for the 1980s Nickelodeon shows. One of my earliest memories is waking up before school to watch the Mysterious Cities of Gold. Remember that catchy theme song?

7 Likes

Loved that one, and this one too…whose intro music is still a certified jam:

6 Likes

Loved Pinwheel as a kid. My grandma had cable and I’d watch a LOT of TV all night and day when I’d stay over on the weekend.

7 Likes

Oh yes. I had a crying fit as a kid when Nick stopped playing Danger Mouse.

11 Likes

Carrascolendas
The Friendly Giant
The Kingdom Of Could Be You
The Magic Garden
The Me Too Show
The New Zoo Revue (Mentioned on MST3k. Because of Frank being an East Coast transplant?)
The Patchwork Family
Vegetable Soup
Villa Alegre
Wonderama

6 Likes

I remember most of those. Also Zoom, The Electric Company, Joya’s Fun Skool, Hodgepodge Lodge, The Great Space Coaster… and the most important person in the whole wide world is you, and you hardly even know you.

I grew up within the New York City mediasphere in the 70s when the superstations (5, 9 and 11) were still going, so my pop culture mind was filled with stuff like Midday with Bill Boggs, the Albert Merrill School, Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge, Alexander’s, and Henny Youngman dancing down the street telling us not to litter.

5 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

Though it’s not obscure, comparably speaking, The Wacky Races also stands out for me as the only Hanna-Barbera cartoon I genuinely liked, and would still watch.

5 Likes
6 Likes

“Wake up there, Mutley!
You’re dreaming again!
You’re not Robin Hood,
And you’re not Gunga Din.
You’re not a brave knight,
Or a king that’s been crowned.
You’re just plain old Mutley
The Snickering Hound!”

5 Likes

YouTube also shows that someone saved a few fragments of Once Upon A Classic from complete oblivion. That’s nice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I saw this TV special when it aired in 1979. Looking at it now it didn’t age very well, but it did get me to read both “The House With a Clock in Its Walls” (and become a John Bellairs fan) and “The Ghost Belonged To Me.” I never saw or heard the special referred to again anywhere until it turned up on YouTube.

6 Likes

You Can’t Do That on Television. That was my jam!!!
ycdtotv

15 Likes

Oh, awesome! Thanks so much for the heads-up on that! :smiley:

5 Likes

Grimm’s Fairy Tale Classics.

I remember being SOOOO happy when I was a little girl and this show came on around lunchtime on nickelodeon. It really struck a chord with me. The theme song was so distinct in my little girl mind that I remembered every word when I was lucky enough to find a playlist of some of the episodes on youtube. The first season was just recently released on Amazon as digital copy, I was so happy too because I have searched for it occasionally on streaming sites for years. It is originally a japanese anime that has some great dubbing for the english versions. I’ve never heard the original language versions, but I expect they would be superb. The english localization was well done though and so I loved it then, and realized that I had pretty good taste as a pip-squeak, because after rewatching what I was able to find between youtube and amazon, I still love them.

4 Likes