OFFICIAL PUBLIC SEASON PREMIERE announced for MAY 6. PLUS: good news about classic episodes in the Gizmoplex!

Season: 8
DST: Just keep it this way!

Question back at you: what happened to Nate Begle not performing as Crow with Emily?

1 Like

Favorite Season? Five
They were at the peak of their creative powers IMO. 5 experiments make my top 10, so half of my all-time favorites come from this season.

It was a season of fond farewells: Last Joel of the classic era, last Bert I. Gordon, and Beverly Garland movies, last Hercules of the classic era

It was also a season of beginnings: Mike as host of course, but we also got our first traditional western, our first Arch Hall Jr, our first on-screen appearance of Mary Jo (as an Amazon Mom)… plus, The MST3K Hour debuted, AND they won their Peabody (for Outlaw)

The other ?
I’m the second laziest man on Mars, and about the 30th, 31st on Earth so I HATE the whole clock-changing nonsense. In fact, sometimes I just don’t change them at all, which makes things confusing for me. Am I early, am I late, why are the bosses cranky for part of the year?

Just pick a time and stick with it.

3 Likes

First, it is not something that they would always be able or want to do.
Sometimes a totally new entity will appear and claim ownership of a movie or a specific cut of a movie.
Announcing that a film’s rights are entering negotiation will give the rights owner a leg up in negotiations.
Announcing anything will give “fans” a chance to complain and threaten to cancel their account.

4 Likes

How often did that happen, really? It seems rather apocryphal. I lived in Alaska when I was a kid. It was going to be dark regardless of what we did with the clocks. Don’t remember any stories of kids dying on the way to school. I’m not saying accidents don’t/didn’t happen, but I’m not sure these sorts of things happened as often as we’re told.

6 Likes

That, and the real issue there would be street conditions. Sidewalks and lights: they’re cool! Try some today, U.S.A. !

1 Like

So I love everything about this and I’m nothing but excited, but it does take a little bit of the luster out of the monthly rotating vault. I assume they’ll be ad-free, so that’s cool. And it’s still a way for the fans to rally over a handful of curated episodes, which is pretty boss.

2 Likes

Yeah, if you’re a city dweller.

:eyeroll:

There are remote parts of my city that aren’t paved, either. I crashed with a family friend in 1988 when I moved here, and her community still has neither sidewalks nor lights. :confused:

Street Team… Assemble!

Here’s a recent article about the last time we tried this, and yes, kids were getting killed on the way to school.

1 Like

Yes, there were a few instances where kids were hit and sadly killed walking to school. But the way you hear people talking about this makes it sound like hundreds, not eight.

There’s also this bit from the article (emphasis mine):

By February, Congress was having regrets.

“The time to admit a mistake is when you’ve made one,” Rep. William Ketchum (R-Calif.), a co-author of the bill, was quoted as saying in the Times.

That month, a National Safety Council survey found no appreciable change in the number of early-morning fatalities between January 1973 and January 1974. And a Reuters report said the United States had used about 2 percent less energy because of the change.

Every spring and fall there are reports about increased heart attacks, traffic accidents caused by sleepy drivers (especially for the spring forward), and other medical issues attributed to mucking with the clocks.

Twenty-eight states have legislation either passed or pending to “lock the clock”, and Europe may be on the way to getting rid of it as well. Changing Clocks for the Last Time? Latest News on Daylight Saving | Almanac.com

The majority of people seem to want to stop the clock games, now we just have to agree on how.

2 Likes

Not really a great article, a TON of I think I like it the other way. No references to actual studies. Vague, “Simones cousin’s boyfriend’s sister said…”
DST is 34 weeks long now. If it was so horrible it would be much, much lower.

1 Like

I had my suspicions that this was one of revenue-generating ideas too keep the Gizmoplex doors open and I think it’s great. Lots of possibilities too.

As for our question, it’s one that I struggle with. I think it’s season 5. It has everything including a host switch and a handful of some of my favorites (Outlaw of Gor for starters)

See you all in the Gizmoplex!

2 Likes

As you might guess from my identity here, Season Three is chock-a-block with a lot of my favorites. Season Five is a very close second, and Season Eight would probably be in the third slot.

I am strongly against changing the clocks. It’s an archaic habit with no function in the modern world, apart from modest energy savings that I suspect are offset by myriad other issues the change brings on. I hope they lock the clock and banish the spring-forward/fall-back seesaw.

2 Likes

I think it’s time that daylight stands up for itself so we should stop saving it.

6 Likes

My favorite season is Mrs. Dash.

3 Likes