One sentence story game

We’ve got some creative people here who like to have fun. Let’s give this a try…

We’re going to write a story, one sentence at a time.

1. Before you post, read the story so far. (Every once in a while, we should collect what’s been written into a recap post. For IRL reasons, I might not always be able to do that. If it seems like it’s time, go ahead on.)

2. Write the next sentence in the story. Try to keep it to a moderate length. That one sentence is your entire post. No double posting. You have to wait for at least one other person (preferably more, but we’ll see how things go) to add a sentence before you can add another.

3. See where others take it. You can push for things to go in one direction or another, but it has to fit the overall canon/context of the story. This is a collaborative “yes and” situation.

Ready? Here we go:

“Aww, man,” the voice echoed through the corridor, “they canceled my favorite show!”

5 Likes

“Again?” she sighed under her breath, slumping dejectedly against the wall as the voices faded down the corridor.

2 Likes

She always knew what would follow, once one of their shows got canceled.

1 Like

The Muppets were notorious for retaliation when faced with cancellation.

5 Likes

But at least she had the frog of her dreams to stand by her.

2 Likes

And by “stand by her,” she meant “keep her supplied with WD-40."

2 Likes

Her animatronic companions were terribly picky about their lubrication, in accordance with the ancient prophesy.

2 Likes

“Lube, or lube not, there is no dry,” her old mentor used to say of the stuff.

7 Likes

But, to be fair, her old mentor would say this of any 80’s ice cream-themed horror movie.

3 Likes

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

2 Likes

It was the door halfway down the corridor which led to the Big Cheese’s office. “Why in the world would someone be knocking from the inside?” She thought.

3 Likes

Moving nearer to the door, Risotto slowly realized was a pattern to the knocks:

…-. — .-. - …- -. . / -.-. — — -.- … . / …-. .- -.-. - — .-. -.-- -.-.–

6 Likes

She immediately recognized the pattern as the theme to Sidehackers, and reached out to knock in reply.

4 Likes

But suddenly-- she got an eerie feeling that she was being watched.

3 Likes

She turned quickly and found an old, mangy dog with a wild smile full of crooked teeth was indeed staring at her from behind a potted plant.

3 Likes

“Got a light?” the dog growled, somehow holding a cigarette between its lips.

4 Likes

“That’s a filthy habit,” she replied as she rummaged through her handbag, “oh, there it is!”

3 Likes

She produced a lighter, flicked it, and offered it to the dog’s waiting cigarette but dogs cannot purse their lips to draw air so the endeavor was fruitless.

2 Likes

“Ah forget it doll,” the dog growled, spitting out the cigarette before saying, “anyways, I came to take ya to the boss, so follow me.”

1 Like

“Wow! You know Springsteen?” she asked incredulously.

2 Likes