One-Two Season Wonders

When I saw the pilot for Brisco, I called up all my friends and told them, ‘You have to watch this show, and you have to watch it NOW, because it is too good to last.’

That existentialist joke still kills me.

5 Likes

Police Squad
Flight of the Conchords
Mad Movies with the L.A. Connection
The Oblongs

7 Likes

I always forget Police Squad didn’t even get one full season, just 6 episodes.

I just remembered another one, the 2007 reboot of The Bionic Woman, I thought that first season was getting interesting when it was cut short by the writers strike and then put on permanent hiatus.

4 Likes

Ooo The Oblongs. Another one I’d forgotten about. Speaking of…

Clone High
Code Monkeys

Contributions from Mr. Sarah…

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Voyagers
Legend
Amazing Stories

3 Likes

John Doe - a scifi series starring Dominic Purcell
Mann & Machine - another scifi series about a cop teaming up with an android
Touching Evil - which I understand is a remake of a British series, but I only know this one
Jake 2.0 - yet another scifi series about a tech guy who gets infected with nanobots
Joan of Arcadia - although it did seem to be going off the rails a bit in season 2
Now and Again - Starring Eric Close who I really enjoyed in Without a Trace, again kind of scifi.

Why are all the scifi series I enjoyed canceled after one season???

1 Like

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned, such as Freaks and Geeks, Flight of The Conchords, Police Squad and Ellery Queen.

A couple others I was sorry to see go so soon were:

My World and Welcome to It starring William Windom. I really liked this show and it gave little old 8 year old me a lifelong affection for the work of James Thurber. The show was loosely based on his stories and even though it lasted only 1 season, it still won the Emmy award for Outstanding Comedy Series and William Windom won the Emmy for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series

The Slap Maxwell Story starring Dabney Coleman. A smart, funny show based around one of Dabney Coleman’s trademark lovable scoundrels.

Frank’s Place starring Tim Reid (Venus Flytrap from W.K.R.P.). A sitcom set in New Orleans which had stories with heart (but without a laugh track) which could make one both laugh and think.

4 Likes

Oh my frog, someone else remembers It’s Your Move! I only got to see the pilot, and only once but it was hilarious.

I came here expecting to see my usual favorites of Pushing Daisies, Better Off Ted, The Good Guys, and Police Squad!, but I was really surprised to see @TeriG’s mention of Now and Again. SO DAMN GOOD… Eric Close was awesome in it, and it was really neat to see a pre-24 Dennis Haysbert add his own brand of cool to the proceedings.

I’ll also throw Netflix’s The Good Cop and Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance into the mix. Both were cancelled after one season because Netflix is generally awful like that, but I figure you didn’t need me to tell you that much.

3 Likes

I’d also like to add Maximum Bob, a 1998 seven-episode series starring Beau Bridges based on the Elmore Leonard novel. I’m pretty sure it was intended to be an ongoing and not a miniseries.

I wasn’t sure anyone would recognize any of the series that I enjoyed. I’m not known for following a lot of entertainment trends. :smiley: I don’t know why Now and Again didn’t make it. It was such an interesting premise.

1 Like

Now and Again had the same gift/curse that Pushing Daisies had, that it had a premise that was so blazingly, ferociously original; accordingly, it was all but doomed to fail amidst all the cookie-cutter fare out there.

It deserved much better than to have such a fate at a network like CBS that just didn’t know what to do with it.

2 Likes

Amazon’s Jean Claude Van Johnson. It was cancelled before the first episode even aired! And that was a terrible decision because it was actually quite good. It helps if you are a hopeless fan of bad 80s martial arts action flicks, or if you have ever lived in Eastern Europe, but even if you aren’t or haven’t, there was certainly going to be something to make you laugh.

2 Likes

Is it the sequel to Final Justice? :smiley:

The two I was going to mention have already been – Kolchak - the Night Stalker and My World and Welcome To It.

Let me also mention Freakazoid while I’m at it. I keep hoping if Animaniacs got a comeback, maybe that will too. Also ReBoot, which only had two seasons in the US (four in Canada) and ended on a cliffhanger, to the best of my knowledge never resolved.

5 Likes

Hmmm…

Off the top of my head?

Firefly

Pushing Daisies

Legend of the Seeker (actually met the author of the book the series was based on, gave me a ride in his Radical… all the G Forces…)

American Gothic (Sheriff Lucas Buck. That’s Buck with a B)

Limitless

Agent Carter (Still hope to see Disney+ bring it back somehow)

All the Netflix MNU/Defenders shows/Characters. (I know, I know, I’m the only one who liked Iron First… I don’t care. I want more of all of these and want Peter Parker to mix it up with The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk)

3 Likes

On the topic of wonderful-yet-shafted shows in which Peter Serafinowicz shows up, I would have, at one point, killed for another season of Running Wilde. All of the Mitch Hurwitz genius that should have gone into Arrested Development wound up in Running Wilde instead. Will Arnette is an idle kajillionaire trying to prove to driven activist Keri Russell that he’s a good person. [narrator: He isn’t.]

Running Wilde - YouTube

1 Like

Brimstone
Better off Ted
Constantine
Homicide: Life on the Streets (I know that was 7 seasons, but NBC treated it so badly)

I loved Space: Above and Beyond. Great story and effects for its time. I have the DVDs in my collection.

3 Likes

Co-signed - really enjoyed it but it does feel really unresolved now, which is a shame. Makes it hard to recommend.

The big stand out in this category for me is Lodge 49. Even allowing for the Uncanny Valley effect I get whenever I look at Wyatt Russell I think it was the cast that really elevated the material, which gets a bit convoluted in places. I always thought there was only one season of this but I am just now learning that they made a second before it was officially cancelled. Fabulous thing to discover this early on a lazy Sunday - now to track it down!

I’ll also throw in Devs, although as a self contained mini-series I don’t think it quite fits the thread, but I can’t miss an opportunity to plug it because I loved it so. It’s Alex Garland helmed and he is always very reliable where modern, thoughtful sci-fi is concerned. If you’re a Parks and Rec fan then acclimatizing to Nick Offerman in this role might take a bit of effort but it is a really great performance. Incredible soundtrack as well, although allot of the best stingers aren’t on the commercially available OST. How rude.

1 Like

What about a miniseries that was supposed to turn into a series but never happened? I thought it was a brilliant concept.

And has anyone seen the one season South African sci-fi series Charlie Jade?

2 Likes