Original MST3K Creators Appreciation Thread!

My associations with Jim are equal parts MST3K- and UW-Madison-related. Back in the superbad 70s, he was elected student council president. He and VP Leon Varjian brought the Statue of Liberty to Madison…

…and filled Bascom Hill with pink flamingos…

… among other hijinks.

Jim came to the university to speak on these things 20 years after the fact, when I was a student. Afterward, I thanked him for what he’d done on MST3K this far, and got him to sign a postcard which I have somewhere (will edit if I find it…)

So, while MSTies in general may have sour grapes for Jim, my thoughts are pretty nice.

ETA

There was this on the wall in our hotel room, where we stayed at last night to see the MST3K Live! show. Serendipitous.

8 Likes

I don’t wanna get into the backstage stuff. That’s not my bag, and as per my username, I’d like to keep things positive.

That’s not to say that there isn’t an objective conversation to be had about his time with the show, but… it is what it is.

That being said, I dug what he brought to the role of GPC. His big “one-woman show” in The Day the Earth Froze is a lot of fun, and his evolution of the character dimensions and vocal qualities of GPC was something interesting to watch.

7 Likes

Is that a nice thing to say? “Pityful”? I’m truly trying different things. Sorry. Maybe send me a message rather than outing in public. Just saying.

I wrestle with never feeling good enough and wanting to prove myself in life. It is a sincere and at times overachieving force I have to watch in life and balance every day or don’t. I hold a larger than life presence. It’s who I am. Each person is a topic in themselves and one idea sprang to another out of having an epiphany not out of a desperate draw for attention. You read me wrong. And perhaps you ought to come to me directly on this not seemingly venting to me in public. Sorry for upsetting you. Thanks.

And no I wasn’t ordering anyone. It wasn’t my intention. You misread me. Apologies Haknudsen.

Mallon, Mallon… yeah that’s a tangled web. Conflicts between artists and studios, producers, the business people behind the artist… it’s not new, that’s gone on for ages. Sometimes it’s a good marriage (Epstein and the Beatles) sometimes it’s a mess, leading to breakups and lawsuits and the like.

I can’t hate him, despite those conflicts, he gave Joel a place to launch and show off his baby and had a hand in getting them broader exposure after the KTMA days. So :clap: for that and for giving voice to Gyps.

6 Likes

Yeah, he was the person who held the keys to TV23 when Joel was looking for a place to launch the show, so he did do that.

4 Likes

There are a lot of people I was close to 20-30 years ago and now we never speak. So I’m not gonna’ look down on Mallon (or anyone he butted heads with) because they couldn’t get along well forever. Life… is like that sometimes.

5 Likes

Not Frank. He’s said he left on good terms, simply because he wanted to try writing comedy for other shows, in other contexts.

2 Likes

As MST3K should rightly be compared to The Beatles, so should Jim Mallon be compared to Yoko Ono.

Without Jim Mallon, there would be no MST3K. IMO, there’d also not be 48 Sci-Fi episodes.

He’s also funnier than most fans think, if you’ve ever listened to him in interviews. He wasn’t just Bob Executive.

4 Likes

He is important in that he helped make MST3K the show it was and he’s also evil for making that Crow and Servo webtoon which is god-awful.

2 Likes

Now that I think of it, perhaps the comparison to Yoko Ono was unwarranted. He should at least be compared to Linda McCartney though.

2 Likes

Brian Epstein didn’t kill himself? (Rest in peace 5th Beatle.)

Thanks for that information.

1 Like

Michael J. Nelson. Head writer, countless cameos, Morrissey, Torgo, Mike. Mr. Midwest and the marrow of MST3K for much of its run. He’s so reliable. When your thoughts turn to him, what hits you?

2 Likes

Minnesota for some reason.

1 Like

“You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?”
That and him as Steve Reeves and Hercules

3 Likes

I miss him being on Twitter. While he would often take jabs at modern pop culture he didn’t like, he would just as often take shots at long-dead classical composers like Anton Bruckner, for whom he had special vitriol.

3 Likes

Mike’s intro to the episode guide is one of the funniest things in that book. Literally, every sentence is hilarious.

3 Likes