Original SoL Bridge Set-- ah-ha? Anyone ever do a tour of it, I've got a Q... or, Why it Tilts.

For a project that I have going, I’ve been trying to find better reference to suss the dimensions and form of the bridge set. Something I could not work out the reason behind finally hit me (yeah, I’m slow) but wanted to ask if anyone ever did a tour of the set and was able to get an angle on the door to the bridge?

In order for the door to be upright, the panels surrounding it had to be pitched forward 10 degrees… iow, the whole construction had to be pitched forward ten degrees. Trace was too good of an artist and craftsman not to solve what I thought of as this simply odd droop that never got explained. It couldn’t have been a forced-perspective attempt gone horribly wrong, and I’m sure the others would’ve thumped him on the skull if this was let slide w/o reason. Alors- because of the nature of a truncated icosahedron, if you wanted vertical and easier to operate, construct, maintain, etc doors, well… yeah.

Only saw it tonight in some bts footage that was transferred and uploaded. I had thought that because of the high-angle sliiiiiight down-shots used in the show that the door might be tilting away (the high angle would bring the door closer to perpendicular to the lens), but I saw a couple of folks walk through it (At least I got a reasonable height dim off of that)

Any thoughts? I’d also wondered if that first couple of steps is a short ramp that lets the main level of the stage sit lower. It’s an odd duck.

1 Like

A what now?
Floor is only in to resolve some of the gaps and show what floor level would be if a an elevation change from door to floor. :slight_smile:

This sort of thing should be over in AC (follow-ups will be, but those won’t be for a long while), but as it has to do with the real set etc, thought it would get more eyes here.

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean about tilting so I’ll just imagine that I had a really great pinball machine joke to tell.

2 Likes

The walls of the bridge set aren’t level, so that the door can be. :wink:

1 Like

Are you saying that the horizontal bits of those panels aren’t?

1 Like

Yes. Of course, I say a lot of things. But yes. The set panels were constructed true, but when raised to create the needed space for the puppeteering, the whole was adjusted to account for the door- perhaps not a full 10 + degrees, but near enough. I can’t make out the gap shape in front of the door, at the frame.

1 Like

Perhaps this place has some perspects you seek:

1 Like

Thanks, yeah it did a bit. That was the origin of trying to work out the why. (Along with just a great look at so much) I’ve been through the Scrapbook a few times, same with The Home Game, which filled in a little info too.
Next is trying to suss out if the tris on the floor are 18, 22, 24" long :slight_smile:
I don’t get out much. :wink:

1 Like

Someone has the actual measurements somewhere online they did. Like from having measured them on a tour type deal. Also, someone bought the hexfield viewscreen during the auction.

2 Likes

You can sus out whether or not the shape demands it, I suppose:

1 Like

And, for my third and final reply in a row, I give you:

1 Like

Would love to know if plans were ever formalized and exist, yeah.
Yeah I’ve got about as many shots from eps that seem to help, but have been scrubbing through to host segments. Now it’s down to doing the perspective work to nail things down, but it would help if there were one or two bits I could set as ‘fact’ and go from there! That angle with the drum kit/loader helped a lot when I grabbed it, a few others are good, and I’ve got one or two with objects on the floor in the triangles etc, just need to be sure I do the projections correctly :wink:
Thanks!

1 Like

1 Like

Working out the front of this set is going to be… what did Joel say in Fire Maidens… he had a word for Timmy. Oh yeah… bilateral integrated transmogrificational cross-stream hack.
Yeah…

1 Like