Out of Context Comics

I think the artists draw the bubbles.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. I guess weā€™d have to ask a mainstream comic artist

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of Marvels. Movie franchise time?

2 Likes

Is it done by a computer or using a computer?

2 Likes

ā€œCatamite Marvel couldnā€™t be here today, for reasons Iā€™ll let the three Lieutenant Marvels explain.ā€

2 Likes

I wonder if thereā€™s a Brigadier General Marvel?

2 Likes

ā€œFirst order of business: a more creative naming approach! I canā€™t keep half of you straight!ā€

2 Likes

Or just ask a huge comic book geek like myself. The answer isā€¦

It depends!

In most cases these days, the artist does not draw the speech/thought balloons, they are added later by the letterer (or computer program), as the artist may not leave enough space for the lettering. They want their art to shine, after all. I even have ashcan copies of a book or two that have only line art with no words, balloons, or even colors added yet.

With independent comics, where just one or two people are involved in producing the comic, you may see the artist doing all of this on their own, but even then they will likely layer the balloons over the line art.

It think it was much more common for the artist to include balloons in the comics during the Golden Age, and into the Silver Age. As you see a lot of balloons that just take up far too much space, and that were pretty obviously a part of the original art.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Psst, Cowboy, over hereā€¦

When a giant disembodied hand offers you a drink, and then laughs like that, you probably donā€™t want to drink it.

2 Likes

ā€¦why are you offering a skeleton a drink?

2 Likes

ā€¦Iā€™m just now hearing a very demented take on Elmoā€™s World.

2 Likes

Huh, so this is what Master Hand does between Smash Bros. games.

3 Likes

Something like this?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Those are sand webs.

2 Likes

1 Like

Early Daredevil was WEEEEIRD.

3 Likes

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, that is way too small to read. At least on my screen.

1 Like