OVERwatched episodes?

So the topic has come up in the Turkey Day poll threads, are there episodes you’ve watched to death? Eps that were overplayed?

Prince of Space, or was it Neptune Men, maybe both… but I kind of got tired of them as it/they always seemed to get a lot of airplay… which why I was surprised neither has ever been featured on a Turkey Day marathon.

Screaming Skull too, man, that was always on the tube.

Eegah was mentioned, but I’ve not watch that to exhaustion. I can only thank my lucky stars that Eegah did not overexposed himself :open_mouth: and that the ep still has plenty of vim and vigor.

Unfortunately I did over-watch Pod People… don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s a Top 10 episode, but it’s like the “Yesterday” of MST3K - superb, but overplayed

6 Likes

That’s one reason I’m disappointed in the current poll between Prince of Space and Village of the Giants. They’re both hilarious episodes, but Prince of Space has been played to death. It looks like there must be people who just want to watch the same few episodes over and over.

6 Likes

We have to play the ones we can watch.

3 Likes

Not really a problem for me. I’m pretty determined when it comes to dredging up episodes which don’t get a lot of mass viewing. Or switching over for a few days to other comedy shows as needed for a break.

8 Likes

I have also over-watched Pod People over the years, used to be my go to episode, and got so used to it I would always fall asleep :sleeping: when it came on. After giving watching it a break for about a year I went back and rewatched it and it thankfully surprised me, as I had forgotten the whole last half of the film. I think that by stepping away from episodes that I have watched to often, giving my memory time to fade, gives a better appreciation for them when I go back to them.

9 Likes

Decades ago I was watching at least an episode a day, then after a few years that tailed off, and then pretty much stopped, with any riff project. Just got a way from it and focused on other things. So I haven’t seen Pod in many a year. It might be worth giving it another go, but when I stop and think of it, I can just about replay the whole episode in my head. It’s burned in there.

5 Likes

For me, only “Manos: The Hands of Fate” is what I would call overwatched. I know every word of that episode by heart. But any other episode I can still glean shiny fresh nuggets of comedy gold. Seems there’s always something or some riff I never noticed before.

Case in point:

Just watched 419 - The Rebel Set, probably for the umpteenth time. I really like this movie, the acting is pretty good and the heist portion is actually rather suspenseful. Near the big climax, one of the characters is consumed by guilt or something dumb like that and confesses his part in the crime to his wife sleeping in the train compartment. As she rises up from the bed in shock, Crow says (in his “serious announcer” voice):

THW

Gut-buster! No memory of that brilliant riff.

15 Likes

There was a summer where I watched the VHS copy of MST3K: The Movie every single day. Pretty sure that counts.

8 Likes

Oh, yeah, it’s ‘Manos’ hands down…

6 Likes

I’ve watched Moon Zero Two a lot and I’ll do it again

I’ve also seen Radar Secret Service more times than I’d like to admit

8 Likes

I may have finally hit my limit on Pumaman and Werewolf.

Wait. No. Just Pumaman.

8 Likes

Put me down as another “I watched Pod People too much” viewer.

Don’t get me wrong, the episode is very good, one of the best they’ve ever done, but once I got that Rhino VHS… wow.

7 Likes

Pewma man?

7 Likes

For me, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. I know it from stem to stern, as I’ve been watching it every Christmas season since 1995. I haven’t watched any other episode that many times. But, tradition.

6 Likes

I was the same… I don’t know why I didn’t go overboard on I Accuse My Parents or Eegah, as I enjoyed those a whole lot (maybe it was having to take all those after-Eegah showers? :wink:) but Pod -and Cave Dwellers too, come to think of it- I played those Rhino VHS’s 'till they wore out.

4 Likes

Agreed, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is likely my most rewatched episode as well… Now that I have both the Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic versions I watch all three!

3 Likes

Pyooma? PYOOMA?

6 Likes

Spreading them out avoids that. I cycle in and out of MST3K and when I bounce back I wait till the mood strikes me. Each episode is what you make it. With time, any episode is worth seeing. A few more than others.

Manos (1966), Eegah! (1962), The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962), The Atomic Brain (1963), Mitchell (1975), Pod People (1983), Cave Dwellers (1982), Hercules Against the Moon Men (1964), Reptilicus (1961), Cry Wilderness (1987), Avalanche (1978), Starcrash (1978), and The Movie (1996) are my go-tos. I haven’t burned out any. Watching my lesser favorites and becoming used to them is my option over playing a beloved show to death.

2 Likes

I’ve been taking a Space Mutiny break lately for this very reason (and trying to rotate in the less-watched members of my collection)

9 Likes

That’s a good one - considering we’re going into Christmas time!

For me it’s Overdrawn at the Memory Bank - I watch that too many times lol - often as background noise

5 Likes