OVERwatched episodes?

That’s a good one - considering we’re going into Christmas time!

For me it’s Overdrawn at the Memory Bank - I watch that too many times lol - often as background noise

5 Likes

I don’t know that I consider any episodes overwatched, but I never watched the show in its actual broadcast days (with the exception of two episodes that I saw once each). So since then, I’ve watched what I wanted to watch when I wanted to watch it. I’m continually cycling through the series and if, when I get to an episode, I don’t feel like watching it, I skip it. :slight_smile:

So this overwatching is not something I have any experience with. :smiley:

4 Likes

Werewolf, definitely, given how often the Pluto TV channel plays it.

Ironically, for the longest time, The Final Sacrifice seemed to be rerun every other weekend on the Sci-Fi channel.

3 Likes

Well that’s the thing, I did feel like watching Pod People all those times. No one came into my home, threw me into a chair, forced my eyes open Alex-style and made me watch it. I did that on my own.

It’s like the old saying about 'too much of a good thing"… that was the case with Pod. But I’ve learned to take it easy now, Jack Frost is my favorite ep, but I don’t watch it every day, a week, or even a year (he says, while singing the “Friends” theme song) :wink:

4 Likes

Pod People, The Amazing Colossal Man and The Brain That Wouldn’t Die. I should probably include Mitchell too, but then can anyone really have too much Mitchell?

5 Likes

It’s weird, because Pod People wasn’t even in that first block of Rhino video releases (that would be Cave Dwellers, Mitchell, and The Amazing Colossal Man, the latter of which I’m still kicking myself for not buying). It was in that second block of releases, and I still didn’t overplay the hell out of The Brain That Wouldn’t Die and The Unearthly from that second block of Rhino videos, although I love both of those episodes very much.

My experience is different, but for me, maybe it’s because - thanks to The Mystery Science Theater Hour - Pod People was the second episode I discovered (the first being Alien from L.A.)? I wasn’t thinking enough to record the episode off TV when I stumbled upon it by accident at some ungodly hour of Saturday night/Sunday morning, so… hmmm…

I’ve done the same thing, but for Jack Frost. I love that episode more than any other entry in the series, so I wanted to take great care not to overplay it and become too familiar with the riffs and rhythms.

EXACTLY THAT

Martin Balsam, presumably.

2 Likes

But does that count as overwatching if you enjoyed the viewings? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But of course, the subject isn’t about liking/disliking, it’s about watching the life out of something.

Like eating your Halloween candy until it made you sick. Or listening to a favorite song so often that after a while, eh, it’s not a favorite song any more. It’s over played.

Maybe one day you’ll eat candy again or play that song, but not for a while and maybe it’ll never be the same as it once was. (for me, it’s chocolate chip cookies, loved them as a kid, but got sick on them, or just caught a bug afterward - and I’ve never enjoyed them as much, since)

1 Like

Almost all of my “overwatched” episodes come from seasons 8-10, because for a long time they were the only episodes I had easy access to – I’d recorded them off the Sci-Fi Channel. They include a lot of fan favorites, which are regularly selected for marathons, and I just don’t have the heart to tell people I personally could use a long break from The Final Sacrifice and Werewolf, when they get so excited about quoting from them. Here’s the roster of my trusty ol’ VHS collection, and I’ve starred the ones that I’m currently “on a break” from due to overexposure:

Tape I: It Lives By Night*, Mole People, The Screaming Skull

Tape II: Devil Fish, Squirm, Diabolik

Tape III: The Giant Spider Invasion, Parts: The Clonus Horror, Riding With Death

Tape IV: Devil Doll, Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders, The Projected Man

Tape V: The Pumaman, The Deadly Bees, Werewolf*

Tape VI: Hobgoblins*, Quest of the Delta Knights*, Soultaker

Tape VII: Future War, Space Mutiny*, Track of the Moon Beast

Tape VIII: Prince of Space*, Horror of Party Beach, The Incredibly Strange
Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, Boggy Creek 2: The Legend Continues

Tape IX: The Touch of Satan, The Final Sacrifice*, Overdrawn at the Memory
Bank

Tape X: The Girl in the Gold Boots*, Invasion of the Neptune Men*, Time Chasers

To be fair, some of the ones I’m “sick of,” I would still pick before others I haven’t seen as often. The Incredibly Strange Creatures… is such an awful movie that I can’t bring myself to watch it often enough to get sick of it. Or maybe what I mean is that I’m sick of it immediately after watching it, so I don’t watch it that often? Either way.

2 Likes

Rhino VHS is why I’m here. The Cave Dwellers Rhino was a blind buy. I fell hard for MST and sprinted back to the store and bought Pod People. Those two Rhinos I slide into the player more than any except maybe Manos. I eventually backed off though the early views of those were extensive. I recently watched the two again and I can quote so many of the riffs yet the fun remains and they are as I remember them. “Thank the maker!!!”

1 Like

When my hubby and I were first married, we relied on our small collection of Rhino VHS and DVDs and a few recorded from SciFi. We watched a lot of Invasion of the Neptune Men and Pod People and such.

Then, we got all the episodes from someone who made DVDs for us. Now to keep it mixed up, we draw an episode out of a box unless we really have a hankering to watch a particular one. It helps avoid rewatching. Next up? Final Justice.

3 Likes

Where do I begin? I often go through a phase where I have a “flavor of the week” episode that I rewatch over and over. Lately it’s been Eegah, but it’s also been The Final Sacrifice, Riding with Death, OATMB, The Deadly Mantis. Honestly, I’ve done this with probably two dozen episodes :grin:

1 Like

I use Pluto’s live mst3k channel as my go-to background noise when I’m working around the house. Unfortunately they play the same 10 over and over. I think I can do without “crash of the moons” and “manhunt in space” for a while. On the other hand, “the black scorpion” has become a personal favorite through the constant rotation.

1 Like

Absolutely!

I may have overwatched Pod People and MST3K: The Movie, sure, but I loved the hell out of those overwatchings.

1 Like

No. No, one cannot. Like their scotch, everyone should take their Mitchell by the quart, and with a Hostess Ding Dong in it.

5 Likes

Yes, one actually can.

2 Likes

It would have to be ““Manos.”” I love it TOO much, so I’ve made a point of limiting my viewing of it so I don’t get sick of it.

3 Likes

I’ve watched Time of the Apes too many times, but I DON’T CARE!

9 Likes

I guess I’m lucky in that I don’t think I’ve ever watched any episode so many times that I’m tired of it to the point I can’t watch it. That being said, there are definitely some episodes that (for me) are more of a slog to get through than others … but that usually has very little to do with how many times I’ve seen the episode versus the generally boring-ness of the episode itself.

For example - even though it’s a fan favorite I personally find Pumaman interminable to watch. I’ve only seen it a couple of times but that was a couple times too many. It’s a matter of taste, but that one just didn’t click for me. Clonus is another one.

1 Like

Hey that’s MY line! And despite how much Pluto runs it, I can watch it every time.

4 Likes