Patton Oswalt suppporting bigotry?!!

There are at least two ways about it, which is why this topic is controversial.
I support JK Rowling, and I’m no Nazi, so please keep your name calling to yourself. Thank you

3 Likes

Looks like he posted about it here: Patton Oswalt on Instagram: "I saw a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time this New Year’s Eve. We’ve known each other since we’re teens. He’s a fellow comedian, the funniest I’ve ever met. I wanted to post a pic & an IG story about it — so I did. The friend is Dave Chappelle. Thirty four YEARS we’ve been friends. He’s refocused and refined ideas a lot of us took as settled about race & history & Life On Planet Earth and spun them around with a phrase or punchline. We’ve done bad & good gigs, open mikes & TV tapings. But we also 100% disagree about transgender rights & representation. I support trans peoples’ rights — ANYONE’S rights — to live safely in the world as their fullest selves. For all the things he’s helped ME evolve on, I’ll always disagree with where he stands NOW on transgender issues. But I also don’t believe a seeker like him is done evolving, learning. You know someone that long, see the struggles and changes, it’s impossible to cut them off. Impossible not to be hopeful and open and cheer them on. Also, I’ve been carrying a LOT of guilt about friends I’ve cut off, who had views with which I couldn’t agree, or changed in ways I couldn’t live with. Sometimes I wonder — did I and others cutting them off make them dig their heels in deeper, fuel their ignorance with a nitro-boost of resentment and spite? I’m an LGBTQ ally. I’m a loyal friend. There’s friction in those traits that I need to reconcile myself, and not let cause feels of betrayal in ANYONE else. And I’m sorry, truly sorry, that I didn’t consider the hurt this would cause. Or the DEPTH of that hurt. I’ve been messaging a lot on IG today, and the back and forth has really helped guide me in the writing of this. I (naively) deleted a lot of posts in the comment thread — critical ones from LGBTQ writers AND shit-posts by TERF/anti-trans orcs looking for clicks & giggles. I wanted a “nice comment thread” about the pic with my friend. Ugh. So easy to think someone ELSE needs growth and miss the need in yourself. Gonna keep trying."

You said you didn’t know if you were going to watch the new season and that you kind of wanted your money back. I took that to mean that you were considering personally boycotting MST.

Which I would understand to some extent, although personally I don’t think it’s warranted in this case.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. I’m still gonna be sore about it for a while. A lot of us will, but I’m glad he said something.

2 Likes

There’s no such thing as a personal boycott. A boycott is by nature a mass action.

2 Likes

That may be a bit difficult, I have no idea what people understand on a message board. Further, I don’t think I would even want to do anything like that. If I say something someone does not understand, it is incumbent upon them to either ask me to explain, use other resources to come to an understanding, or continue to operate in blissful ignorance.

Certainly an easier task to accomplish, but is also a subjective measure. That which is controversial to some is not necessarily controversial to everyone.

I think a far easier set of rules to ask of others in polite conversation is to steer clear of politics and religion.

lol Too bad Oswalt himself couldn’t steer clear from the start. No one would’ve expected more from him, and they wouldn’t have to be disappointed now. :confused:

2 Likes

I don’t think one should always steer clear of those topics in all fora, I specifically noted “in polite conversation”, which I think should include this forum. In general, I find social media to be quite the opposite of polite conversation.

Oswalt is on social media every day, like most of us. :man_shrugging: That’s part of the problem. Entertainers treat giant platforms like Twitter as if it was solely their adoring fans. (“I can say or do whatever I want and everyone will love me.”) But it’s not. A comedy club is a select group of people who paid to be there. They came to forget their troubles and overpay for drinks. Treating a social media platform like one’s personal comedy club is bound to lead to trouble, because there are multiple audiences on it with differing priorities.

Yeah, it’s nice to be nice, but it’s a lot tougher when someone is minimizing or shrugging off the beliefs of people who’d make you disappear or confine you to a life of misery if they could, such as TERFs. (I don’t know anything about Chappelle supposedly hanging out with actual overt Nazis. However, I will say that I’ve encountered many TERFs myself and they are very prone to having other truly creepy Right-Wing beliefs apart from their main one. Blecchhh!!!)

3 Likes

I don’t even know what a TERF is, and I prefer to remain in blissful ignorance about that. I dropped the last political/ religious forum I participated in about a month ago, after having spent more than twenty years there. I find this forum to be more polite company and conversation, and I only spoke up to say that, while I don’t think it is reasonable for us to avoid talking about things that someone else may not understand, I do think it is perfectly reasonable to avoid talking about politics and religion here.

Trans-
Excluding
Radical
Feminists

If you can afford not to know, you’re pretty fortunate. I sure wish that I’d never heard of them.

4 Likes

Why did you shove that in my face when I said I preferred to remain in blissful ignorance? This is exactly why politics and religion should not be discussed in polite company.

1 Like

Because (as I said) other people don’t have that luxury. Often other fans: our friends, colleagues, neighbors, co-workers, and family don’t have that luxury.

Also, if you don’t know what the core issue (which sparked the whole thread) even is, how can you hope to participate in the discussion in a meaningful way?

5 Likes

So? I did not come here to discuss politics and/or religion, and would prefer it stay out of this forum. It seems to me that is an opinion shared by those own this forum. I don’t want to participate in a discussion about this issue in any way, it doesn’t belong here.

2 Likes

Then stop participating in this thread. There are numerous others on this forum.

Honestly, I would prefer it stay out, too. Too bad Oswalt did that show and thought it was worth crowing about on that other site. If he’d had the sense to keep quiet, this whole thread wouldn’t have to exist. :confused: Famous people really should get more savvy media handlers. :frowning:

5 Likes

Pattons statement from his instagram:

"I saw a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time this New Year’s Eve. We’ve known each other since we’re teens. He’s a fellow comedian, the funniest I’ve ever met. I wanted to post a pic & an IG story about it — so I did. The friend is Dave Chappelle.

Thirty four YEARS we’ve been friends. He’s refocused and refined ideas a lot of us took as settled about race & history & Life On Planet Earth and spun them around with a phrase or punchline. We’ve done bad & good gigs, open mikes & TV tapings. But we also 100% disagree about transgender rights & representation. I support trans peoples’ rights — ANYONE’S rights — to live safely in the world as their fullest selves. For all the things he’s helped ME evolve on, I’ll always disagree with where he stands NOW on transgender issues. But I also don’t believe a seeker like him is done evolving, learning.

You know someone that long, see the struggles and changes, it’s impossible to cut them off. Impossible not to be hopeful and open and cheer them on. Also, I’ve been carrying a LOT of guilt about friends I’ve cut off, who had views with which I couldn’t agree, or changed in ways I couldn’t live with. Sometimes I wonder — did I and others cutting them off make them dig their heels in deeper, fuel their ignorance with a nitro-boost of resentment and spite? I’m an LGBTQ ally. I’m a loyal friend. There’s friction in those traits that I need to reconcile myself, and not let cause feels of betrayal in ANYONE else.

And I’m sorry, truly sorry, that I didn’t consider the hurt this would cause. Or the DEPTH of that hurt. I’ve been messaging a lot on IG today, and the back and forth has really helped guide me in the writing of this. I (naively) deleted a lot of posts in the comment thread — critical ones from LGBTQ writers AND sh*t-posts by TERF/anti-trans orcs looking for clicks & giggles. I wanted a “nice comment thread” about the pic with my friend. Ugh. So easy to think someone ELSE needs growth and miss the need in yourself. Gonna keep trying."

I believe him, but I do have to say that as a Trans person my initial reaction was one of revulsion and betrayal.

9 Likes

I participated in this thread for a very specific reason that should have been obvious from my initial post. I would appreciate that you stop trying to drag my participation in a political direction.

Trans Rights are non-political.

8 Likes

:roll_eyes:

I’m not on Twitter and don’t want to be.

Rowling can eat my shorts.

4 Likes

The concept of “rights”, any rights at all, is inherently political.

Nah.