Patton Oswalt's Standup

I assume a lot of us are fans of his standup. Who has seen his new Netflix special? I saw it last night and was on the floor laughing. There’s a certain section near the beginning about clowns and a barn that I won’t spoil, but it was one of the funniest routines I’ve ever heard.

I have yet to see a Patton comedy special that wasn’t a masterful piece of comedy. I’m so glad he’s a part of MST3K.

16 Likes

I watched this just 2 nights ago myself. I found it a bit slow in the first quater of it, but then it started picking up steam and by half way in, I was laughing quite a bit, then the second half of this was pure gold! Overall, this was my favorite Patton standup so far!

3 Likes

But the first part had the clown thing!

2 Likes

Watched it the other night, loved it.

His last special is the reason we blame random frustrations on Kirby around here. Buffering? Cat barf? Hole in my sock? DAMMIT KIRBY!!!

2 Likes

We also cannot talk about Patton Oswalt without this totally improvised masterpiece:

8 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, will have to put it on my watch list.

3 Likes

I watched it last week. That clown part. Wow. That’s going to be my go-to years from now when asked to explain what the covid lockdown felt like emotionally.

3 Likes

I can’t hold it in anymore! I have to say it!

Barn full of clown pubes!

2 Likes

But truly, it’s so much more than that.

3 Likes

I got to see him last October in Cleveland while he was working on the material for this special. There were some good ones he left out, but the entire opening was new since it was before he broke his foot. It opened with the Clown joke.

I loved it live, and I loved the special. He is a special comedian.

3 Likes

I’m from Cuyahoga Falls and didn’t even know he came to Ohio last year.

3 Likes

HOWEVER, I did see George Carlin when he was in Akron practicing for his last HBO comedy special (clearly like 10+ or so years ago) and witnessed him having a heart attack. So there’s that…

3 Likes

Yeah he was at the Agora on December 11th. I thought it was October until I looked it up. lol

2 Likes

here’s the best picture I got that night.

5 Likes

I, too, just watched this last night! It was hilarious, one of his better standups, but not my favourite. I was a bit confused by the part when he was making jokes about people going on “plague ships” to a packed theatre of thousands of unmasked audience members - too much disconnect made my brain warp a bit.

But yes, the clown pubes, ribbons, Polaroids, oy! His brain really cranks-out the knee-slappers!

1 Like

I’m sure they did the same thing in Denver that they did in Cleveland.
To get in you had to bring your Vax Card with at least one booster, and have a test within the last 2 days showing you were negative.
Patton canceled shows in states that wouldn’t allow him to dictate C-19 rules.

4 Likes

I know he cancelled a couple dates in Utah because of a lack of COVID precautions. I know when I saw him in DC, proof of vax was required–and they checked everyone’s vaccination cards.

2 Likes

It’s good to know, and I’m certainly trying to not be political, it just seemed a bit like standing in your own flooded basement making jokes about people who live in homes where the basement floods, you know? Just a bit of a head scratcher.

3 Likes

I watched it this evening, thanks for the recommendation, it was hilarious!

2 Likes

I was in the audience for his Netflix special, titled Annihilation.

If you watch part of the crowd, you may see some guy who seems to be spasming around like a nut during some of his routines.

I sort of felt Patton was a kindred spirit, given he seemed to also harbor feelings for Village of the Giants’ Joy Harmon at a young age, like I did.

I also got a charge one time, when I informed him about my fanpage, and he told me he had visited it! Deep down, I’d love to just discuss the ridiculousness of the film and its logic with him and see what he thinks.

1 Like