Pinball Fans Out There?

Eight Ball Deluxe!

8 Likes

The Pinball series on the Amiga starting with Pinball Dreams is incredible. Fantastic music and sound, as well as gameplay. I played the hell out of these back in the day, and it’s very much worth having an emulator just to run these.

5 Likes

Not a huge pinball fan, but I have enjoyed playing it over the years. Favorites have been:

Sharkey’s Shootout
Adam’s Family
Twilight Zone

I used to want a Kiss pinball machine, but after playing modern pinball games, the playfield seemed kind of boring.

4 Likes

South Park is my favorite machine. LOVE it.

6 Likes

Big pinball fans here! Here is a section of our lineup… we have 23 pins in all, including a custom retheme of Phoenix into The Black Hole, based on the Disney movie, with all controllable RGB lighting, 6 modes and a wizard mode, all made to work on a playfield from the late 70s :slight_smile:

That pic shows the downstairs solid state lineup (most of it anyway)… we have all the modern games upstairs. 23 pins and 30 arcade games in all… pretty much our hobby is fixing them up and running tournaments whenever we can.

16 Likes

Not especially talented when it comes to pinball, but I have a special fondness for Funhouse, which is a perfect mix of both fun and sinister.

And the original Pinbot, which also had an incredibly awesome NES port (which took the original game, and made it even weirder on later levels)

7 Likes

We used to play one that had a carnival theme and, periodically, a barker-type voice would shout “Ride the Cyclone! Ride the ferris wheel!”

I seem to recall it looking like the one in the first picture, but the name of the one in the second picture makes me wonder otherwise.

5 Likes

There’s a Barry Oursler “trilogy” (Comet, Cyclone, and Hurricane) that were all themed around rollercoasters at a carnival and use a lot of the same shot mechanics and callouts (for example, Hurricane features a ramp for the Comet). Surely it has to be one of those…?

The first image that @FlyingSquid posted, Funhouse, only has speech from Rudy who watches your shots and grows increasingly impatient when you futz with the fun house clock.

4 Likes

Hello, nurse!

2 Likes

I haven’t played in ages, but if I ever get my billion dollars and my cabin in the woods, with a home theater… I’d add a game room, for pool, pinball, and shuffleboard.

I remember the burger joint I work at had a Playboy machine, and a Bowling one “Strikes and Spares”. And then later at a place near the college, there was Xenon, and Space Invaders.

2 Likes

I loves me some pinball!!! My Dad got the Lawman machine back in the 70’s (and a skeeball-like bowling machine), so they’ve always been in my life. It now lives in my condo where it really needs some bulb replacements.

I am also fortunate that my local comic shop owners are huge pinball fans and have devoted an entire room in their shop to two long rows of tables. Every week I get to play my favorite Medieval Madness as well as others like Addams Family & Monster Bash. It’s glorious! (Trivia fact: Medevil Madness cameos in the 1st Silent Hill game in the diner where Harry wakes up at the start).

3 Likes

Iconic artwork on both of those. The Playboy one was not a great table as I recall, but it was still fun. When pinball went solid state, I checked out. (Which is my loss, since the best machines were apparently made in the '90s. But man, the late '70s/early '80s machines had a lot of dogs.)

4 Likes

With regards to pinball, this is, to me, the Most Wonderful Sound:

4 Likes

Roxxorz the boxxorz.

And the Black Knight is back! Just prior to the current End Times, Stern and Steve Ritchie added Black Knight: Sword of Rage to the roster and that iconic BK 2000 song makes a return:

3 Likes

I was a huge pinball and arcade fan back in the 70s and 80s. I have pinball arcade for my Xbox and while it isn’t as great as going to the Silverball Museum in Delray Beach, it IS COVID-free. Plus, you can unlock the uncensored versions of the Elvira pins, lol.

3 Likes

I don’t think I knew, either way, if it was a dog or not, I didn’t have that kind of feel for them or expertise, it was just, “wanna play some pinball?” - “sure, why not.”

The most fun was with this girl I had a crush on at school, and she’d take one flipper and I’d take the other, and we’d have to work together, I remember a lot of laughs from that.

4 Likes

Yeah, but you tell kids today that and they won’t believe a word of it.

5 Likes

I got as chance to play Sword of Rage, (it’s very rad!) and it’s great that they mentioned how iconic Black Knight 2000’s theme was when they composed Sword’s soundtrack.

2 Likes

I just finished renovating a 1980’s black knight. That’s a great machine! I’ve also worked on the Data East Phantom of the Opera. I loved playing Adams Family and Gotlieb Haunted House. @optiMSTie World Cup was designed by John Popadiuk, the guy was a wizard at designing machines. I really enjoyed his Theatre of Magic. Just recently he tried to launch a new machine in 2017 calle Magic Girl (kinda a sequel to Theatre of Magic) but since he was basically designing it as an indie manufacturer it went poorly.
Last year I built my own machine from scratch after a couple of ideas I had. I love pinball…

7 Likes

6 Likes