Pipeline to the Clouds - the 1st Season 13 Short

What did you all think of Jonah & the Bot’s riff of Pipeline to the Cloud?

Was shocked to find the original short in the Library of Congress collections

If you want to watch it unriffed (although: why?) it’s here: Pipeline to the clouds | Library of Congress

14 Likes

It did teach me not to waste water.

14 Likes

Mostly I just really had to use the bathroom. Not sure what that was about though…

8 Likes

I couldn’t really hear it; I was running my shower and flushing the toilet the whole time. What did I miss?

19 Likes

Well I’m sold. Plumbing is a great invention, vital to this and other centuries!

5 Likes

A worthy addition to the shorts collection.

5 Likes

So, I had a weird sense of frisson: the riffing was sharp and well-paced (loved Servo’s Talking Heads joke), but I live in the Bay Area of California— water conservation is a real thing, and yesterday we received notice that water restrictions may be implemented at some point this year. So, the short felt eerily prescient and uncomfortably real.

16 Likes

This was the short that Jonah was running the writers room on when the backers who pledged enough for the virtual tours got to sit in and watch. As someone who has not only been a fan of the riffing arts since high school and a fellow movie riffer, it was fascinating to see how the process works now.

17 Likes

The short not having a titlecard threw me off.

7 Likes

Lots of nice riffing here. I might have to rewatch to catch everything, as it seemed a bit faster paced than Santo. With that being said, they still let the short breathe, too, which is always nice.

As I mentioned before in a few places, riff levels were still a bit overpowered over the film audio. Again, it may be because I was watching on a home theater and initially on a lower volume. Turning the volume up actually helped a bit? It’s hard to explain. I’ll gladly be okay with hearing more about how others’ experiences went. Zero lag or sync issues on my end. If there were, they must have automatically corrected.

Mentioned this in the wrestling thread, but if the ending “DAM!” riff is indeed a Ron Simmons reference, then that is absolutely awesome.

Another fun show! Host segments were also nice and I can’t say enough about Pearl/Synthia and Mary Jo/Rebecca’s performances.

I’ll be sure to provide more feedback after my eventual rewatch. Until then, have a good night, everyone. Another fun live-post session here on Discourse.

6 Likes

I’m excited to lay more pipe for my country! :+1:

10 Likes

Jonah’s “mildly inconvenienced” line towards the end had me rolling.

13 Likes

This is not a pipe.

5 Likes

It was great they are more relaxed with the riffing. And -spoilers- the white dot joke after the short was great!

9 Likes

I wonder if they are going to explain why Pearl is with them now but it was great to see Mary again.

5 Likes

MST3k Short
I thought the short was a good start. Some of my favortie riffs were from Crow (I.E. So sayth the god king! All Dead. And…DAM!) But one thing I noticed was that the background seems to look a bit better for the Mads’ new moonbase, mostly with showing more of the purple that should be there.

14 Likes

If you check the Santos rough cut, they also re-adjusted the background for the Mads in that, so they appear to listening to feedback.

8 Likes

I did at least get some comfort from how people have dealt with this problem before and overcome it, so we can do it again.

1 Like

I definitely liked the pacing, and it felt like a short from the good ole days. But I’d rather see the short before a movie in an actual episode as opposed to seeing all of them separate.

8 Likes

The downside is they need to either find a movie short enough to be able to fill 10-20 minutes with something else, or just cut down the movie to total incomprehensibility.

2 Likes