Pizza 🍕

Coffee regular, no sugar.

WTH were you doing down Lafayette Ave. and over at Penn Station? Sbarro’s, please! Some good stuff, sort of.

Aren’t you the gal who is into Candace Hilligloss? I’ll have to reread this thread.

2 Likes

I went to school in NYC for a few years in the 80s. But most of the time I was commuting to and from N.J. to save money on housing. :slight_smile:

I’m now trying to remember when I first saw Carnival Of Souls. :thinking: I don’t think it was back East. More likely after I moved out here and had a work-study job tearing tickets at the NW Film & Video Center next to the Portland Art Museum.

3 Likes

Word. NW Film was happening when I was in high school. Groovy Cassavetes posters, let you rent equipment, spend a month’s pay from working at Target to send away for film processing. PSU’s library was like a stupid wonderland, for a kid.

2 Likes

The monsters went and did it. They cheapified the ingredients. That pizza is now dead to me. Harumph.

3 Likes

If you come to the Twin Cities in Minnesota, try QC Pizza’s Kinda Big Dill.

1 Like

I hate it when that happens. :frowning:

2 Likes

One of my favorite places has had a lot of staff turnover… placed a takeout order recently and was told that the new guy in the kitchen didn’t know what a calzone was…

Sigh

Both the pizza ordered and the calzone (asked for extra Italian sausage with both) barely had any Italian sausage at all, never mind extra?

Sigh.

3 Likes

I grew up just east of New Haven Ct., it’s hard to find that style of pizza anywhere else.

I make my own at home but don’t attempt to replicate New Haven style.

My usual recipe:

Dough is 3 cups bread flour, 1 cup water, 3 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp salt, some sugar to help rise faster, and 2 to 3 tsp yeast. Knead for 10 min in the Kitchenaid, rise for 30 to 50 min. in a covered bread pan. All the yeast does make it a bit yeasty flavored so if you’ve got all day use less and let is rise longer.

Sauce starts with usually a can of what ever sauce is in the $2 to $3 range, I usually only look at the spices added and get one with the least. To that sauce I add about a tablespoon of oregano, pinch of basil, pinch of rosemary, pinch of dill seed, pinch of dill weed, maybe some onion (fresh or dried chunks), and about 2 to 3 cloves of garlic well crushed. Add a few tablespoons of water and that goes in the microwave on medium for about 30 minutes.

I use a pizza stone in the oven, heat if for a good half hour at 500°F, then drop the temp down to 450 after the pizza goes in. Takes about 10 min. to cook.

Maybe someday I’ll get a pizza steel for the oven and try to make a good thin crust at the highest temp my oven will go. But that 3 day dough rise in the fridge is a killer, just don’t have the patience for that…

4 Likes

I like a place that’s transparent. One time got breakfast at a place and after a long wait the server said, “I’m sorry it’s taking so long but the cooks keep effing up your order.” Needless to say, that server got an extra large tip to make up for their troubles.

5 Likes

I’ve got a giant wall pizza. This is an old picture of it, I don’t have that couch anymore and it’s mounted properly on the wall now.

Also that’s my cat right there, her name is Maya.

6 Likes

Catloaf!

5 Likes

Our late, great Callie the Calico would swipe pizza crust off your plate if your attention wandered too long. <3

Having a sausage-'n-shroom pie from Good Neighbor this evening. With some Caesar salad. Normally I’d do the Calzone as it’s pretty good, and the best deal money-wise. But I just got my Holiday bonus Friday and after foolishly squandering nearly all of it on bills, I decided to splurge.

(Dessert will be from a giant box of fancy-pants chocolates that my Secret Santa gave me. :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I was just thinking about this thread. I miss pizza, I mean really good pizza. I went to The Hut for a stuffed crust a few weeks back, and that was total garbage. Today I tried a new brand of frozen pizza that popped up at the grocery, called “Palermos”, and that wound up IN the garbage.

They promise heaps of toppings, but the toppings were tasteless, there’s hardly any sauce, just a lot of crust. I got the bright idea of scraping the toppings and sauce from one slice, onto another, to try and double up the flavor, but that just made a big mouthful of sh—

I hate to throw food away, but that was unedible.

I’ve tried so many places in this city, but when Little Caesars is the best you can get, it’s time to just throw in the towel and admit you don’t live in Pizza Town.

I’m tempted to take an hour, drive across the border, and see what our neighboring state has to offer.

3 Likes

Just ordered up some vegetarian goodness from Flying Pie on the Northside. Can’t wait! :yum:

2 Likes

How has this not been posted yet?

I just had a Sainsbury’s stone baked pepperoni pizza. Fine - nothing special but, as always, supermarket pizzas always benefit from a little blowtorch action when they come out of the oven.

1 Like

All I can say in responce to that video is:

What? Huh? What? Why??

Looked up Sainsbury’s, seems to be only in the UK, but looking at the ingredients it would be something I could eat. I wonder if other frozen pizza’s have stopped using soy? Not that it matters, I stopped buying them in the early 90s once I got my dough and sauce recipes down and could make my own that is better than any frozen one.

1 Like

This is an off menu item at a local pizzeria. It’s a thin grandma crust with vodka sauce, their own sausage crumbled and fresh mozzarella.
Your have to ask for The Delicious pie.

It’s really really good :blush:

4 Likes

Ooh. Next time I’m in [location redacted] I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Lia’s Pizzeria in Syosset Long Island NY

We still have family pizza restaurants but we’ve lost a lot the last few years

3 Likes