Poll: Cheesiest Villain as Portrayed by an A-List Actor, Round One!

Nah, he was great in that role!

I loved him in that, and Galaxy Quest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m with you here. Flash Gordon is in rarified company as a movie that intended to be campy and pulled it off successfully. Iā€™m not sure I could articulate the difference between campy and cheesy, but it feels like itā€™s an important distinction here.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s one of my favorite lines involving Ming the Merciless (though itā€™s just as much his delivery that makes it a classic):

Dr. Zarkov: We are only interested in friendship. Why do you attack us?

Emperor Ming: Why not? Pathetic Earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you wouldā€™ve hidden from it in terror.

4 Likes

Paul Williamā€™s Loveless, Jr. also invented ā€˜$600 peopleā€™, played by Shields & Yarnell.

That movie was totally loopy.

2 Likes

He was great in everything. His cheesy Sheriff is the only really memorable thing about that movie. I mean, I bet most people, to the extent that they can remember it all get it confused with Mel Brooksā€™ Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

2 Likes

I wonder how much work it would be to edit Alan Rickman from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves into Mel Brooksā€™ Robin Hood: Men in Tights? The fan edit could be called, Robin Hood: Prince of Tights. :crazy_face:

1 Like

That would be AmazeSpaceBalls.

1 Like

Ah, Iā€™d not seen that list before. Now the reference makes even mores sense. I noticed it was a bit sexist, but if the original idea was based on James Bond villans, I can see where that came from. Wonder if anyone has updated it.
Reminds me of Skippyā€™s List of 101 (or 213) Things He Is Not Allowed To Do in the US Army. [Itā€™s a lot funnier if the reader is familar with military life.]
I canā€™t find Skippyā€™s page, but a search on the internet will bring it up.
Butā€¦Iā€™m digressing.

1 Like

Iā€™d not heard of Skippyā€™s Page for years, thatā€™s some serious old school internet right there.

@Phyllis_Steinhauser
I have no idea if Evil Overlord Rule #34 was specifically written with the more generally known Internet Rule #34 in mind. But itā€™s great for confusing people. :crazy_face:

Not anytime recently. Exhibit A:

Rule #99

Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.

If you donā€™t understand why thatā€™s a rule, youā€™re probably under 20 years of age and have never dealt with older computers or lab equipment. Rule #99 is the one in greatest need of updating, IMHO; the intent of it is sound enough, but is technologically obsolete as currently written.

Submit Jim Carey as the Riddler for future consideration. The dude just CHEWED the scenery.

1 Like

Heā€™s already on the list, as is Tommy Lee Jones from the same movie. :grinning:

1 Like

Round One is done, with Dennis Hopperā€™s ā€œKing Koopaā€ as the winner! Head on over to Round Two! And keep those suggestions coming for future rounds!

1 Like

I didnā€™t mind him in The Fifth element, though not a fan of the movie itself (my wife loves it and watches it every time she channel surfs onto it). Iā€™m going to go and watch Leon again. I havenā€™t watched it since it was in the theatres and who knows, I may change my Oldman tuneā€¦