Pop Culture I Hate and Wish I Didn't

It’s an odd question; if I hate something, it’s for a reason, so I don’t wish I didn’t hate it. But hate is also pretty strong, so I feel that way about few things. Mostly it’s just ambivalence. I’ve never seen Breaking Bad and probably never will. Nothing against it, I’ve heard only praise about it, but it’s just so far down my list of priorities that it will probably never get to the top.

I’ve seen a half dozen or so of the Marvel movies and I liked 'em. Good popcorn-munching fun. I’ve never been a comic book reader and so know nothing of the lore or canon behind them, but I think they’re alright.

3 Likes

Breaking Bad was yet another show I couldn’t get into because all the people in it were horrible people. Why are shows where everyone is awful so popular?

5 Likes

OMG THANK YOU.

Look, I am very much aware that if it wasn’t for Tolkein, we likely wouldn’t HAVE fantasy as a genre in literature (or at least it wouldn’t be the way it is now); but I cannot get past the man’s writing. I was able to read The Hobbit as a pre-teen, and on the basis of that I asked my parents for The Fellowship trilogy, thinking that I’d like them as well. Big mistake. I couldn’t slog through Tolkein’s tedious descriptions of what felt like literally every single vein of every single leaf of every single tree in the forest or what have you. I think I made it three chapters in and just gave up. They are the only books that I WANTED to read that I couldn’t finish (the only other book in the category of being a book I couldn’t finish is All Quiet on the Western Front, but as that was for English class and I still got an A despite BSing half the answers on the final exam for that book, I’m not upset about that one). Later in life though someone offered up an explanation as to why Tolkein writes the way he does; he’s not writing a novel, he’s building a world, and to do that you need to be as detailed as you can be. It just frustrated the absolute bejesus out of me though, because I have a vivid imagination and I prefer to be able to picture things in my head with a simple description from the author in question, not have everything laid out for me like I couldn’t possibly understand anything. It’s just irritating.

I feel much the same way about George RR Martin; I slogged my way through the first book of the GoT series but didn’t bother moving on, and I did watch the first season of GoT but thereafter didn’t bother to watch anymore because it just wasn’t interesting to me. From what I’m told, I probably made the right decision; apparently season 8 is an absolute dumpster fire. I’m skeptical whether I’ll like the Wheel of Time series or not; apparently fantasy epics are not exactly up my alley, despite loving fantasy as a genre. I might give the show a shot, but otherwise I’m not really champing at the bit to watch it.

As of yet, I’ve not watched several things that people have been praising to the skies in my hearing, mostly on Netflix, among them Tiger King (just… why?), Squid Game, and Umbrella Academy. There are a few other shows on other streaming services, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. I know they’re super popular, but I just can’t seem to drum up the interest. Maybe one day when I’m bored and have nothing else to do… shrug

Now separately I am something of an MCU fangirl; I own all the movies and I love re-watching them, but I’m not the type of person to expect someone to love something just because I do! :rofl: I’ve found them to be excellent, as someone else said, “popcorn” movies and I enjoy learning about the various heroes. I’m not a comic book person in general though.

4 Likes

I gave up on Umbrella Academy near the end of season 1 when I realized I found just about every one of the characters annoying.

I love Tolkien, though. I guess it’s just a matter of how one is wired and how/when one is first exposed to something.

2 Likes

I get cranky because in my younger years, I was super into the Marvel universe and somewhat enjoyed DC’s as well. If only these movies could’ve happened back then. I would’ve been so in my element. [sigh]

For drawn out/boring/personal reasons, I drifted away from those books a long time ago, so the knowledge of a new movie coming down the pike just fills me with regret and ennui. Oh, well. At least this frees up more income for important things like home repair and overpriced desserts.

2 Likes

You are correct.

You are also correct.

4 Likes

I REALLY wanted to get into The Expanse but after 10 episodes I felt nothing so I gave up.

Mad Men haters, PLEASE try giving it another shot - force yourself to finish the first season at least. Get to the stunning “Kodak” presentation and all of a sudden you’ll go “Ohhhhh, I GET IT!”

I PROMISE.

2 Likes

If I get through the first season, will it turn out that any of the major characters aren’t terrible people? Because I think I’ll pass otherwise. I’m so done with reprehensible anti-heroes.

2 Likes

Oh, definitely agreed. After being burned by Tolkein, I had the great good fortune to stumble across Diane Duane and David Eddings, and they salvaged me from the ‘no fantasy!!’ pile.

The Tolkein/Dickens parallel is surprisingly close. Both wrote one story I love (The Hobbit and A Christmas Carol), both those stories are more or less “get in, tell the story, get back out again” stories, and neither story adequately prepares you for just how mind-scorchingly dull both writers are when they don’t feel limited by considerations of page count. I question neither’s command of the English language – but almighty Bob they could have both used editors. I don’t need every leaf in the forest described in excruciating detail any more than I need every cobblestone in London similarly approached.

1 Like

Catharsis. Goes at least as far back as Depression Era gangster movies. It’s okay to vicariously take part in the wrongdoing because you know that in the end you/the wrongdoer will be punished for it. (Usually.)

4 Likes

I’m with you there.

Which is weird about The Sopranos, because - although it isn’t a personal favorite - I could get into that, enjoy it, and invest in that even though everyone is pretty much a jerk there.

Anywho, yeah, that being said, that pilot gave me nothing and nobody to invest in, so… yeah, I was out. I’m glad that folks could (and did) enjoy that, but it ain’t for me.

3 Likes

Because of the compelling promise of its premise, its oft-repeated intentions of “turning Mr. Chips into Scarface.” It’s something of a fascinating character study and narrative journey combined with the dark humor and suspense of a Coen Brothers movie. Walter White himself sums up his character path/development so well in describing a chemical reaction: “It is growth, then decay, then transformation!”

Probably my favorite non-MST3K series.

4 Likes

I watched the first season before giving up – it’s clearly a good show, but it’s grim. I don’t need more grim in my life.
OTOH I know a couple who arranged their out-of-town wedding around the finale only to find out their hotel doesn’t have AMC :sob: But I guess they were able to download it the next day and watched it on the plane home.

4 Likes

Heh, yeah, it’s not exactly a spoiler to say that it gets much darker from there.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Oh, wow… that would be vexing, not being able to catch the finale like that. Glad it all worked out in a way like that.

1 Like

I have no idea! It really bugs me. I got halfway through a book called The Stars My Destination and I kept waiting for the main character to become something else. The title makes it sound like some sort of redemption, but about the time he chose to sexually assault an innocent woman, I decided that I had absolutely no interest in finding out what happened to him. This was a book that a friend recommended and I could not understand why she thought I’d like it and why in the world she liked it. I have zero desire to read or watch horrible people be horrible people. :stuck_out_tongue:

But back to the question at hand… I don’t have anything to add. :smiley: I have no interest in DC comics (the movies are so dark) and the only Marvel movies I liked were the first two Thor movies (granted, I didn’t watch most of the other ones, either). No interest in GoT (which for a long time I thought was simply someone misspelling a farm animal). Never wanted to watch or read Hunger Games (not a fan of children killing children). I love the Harry Potter books, but I didn’t like the movies.

I’m so not trendy that I don’t even know what I’m missing out on until the trend is over. :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve considered it. Mostly what holds me back is that the biggest fan of M.M. I ever knew turned out to be a massively effed-up abusive jackass who I had a GIANT falling-out with (over something completely unrelated). Yeah… [sigh] I am one of those people who’ll let someone else’s dickery ruin what might be a perfectly good fandom for me. I can’t seem to help it. :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah they were upset but handled it surprisingly well for two people with matching, custom-made Breaking Bad t-shirts :flushed:

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. My girlfriend loves Shameless. I leave the room for her to enjoy because I can’t stand the characters and whatever drug induced scenario is going on.

3 Likes

I’m EVIL!!

2 Likes