Pop Culture I'm Ashamed I Like

What pop culture are you ashamed you like? Justice League, Cardi B, Mission Impossible, Lady Gaga? Where is your heart embarrassed to be?

3 Likes

Nothing.

If I like something, I own it and own it unabashedly. I never believed in the whole “guilty pleasures” thing.

22 Likes

Nah, I don’t have any guilty pleasures. Because I’m never guilty about my pleasures. :innocent:

People do seem surprised that I like certain “old school” movie romances and I can sing along with certain Vanilla Ice / Kid Rock / Limp Bizkit songs perfectly.

And I love Nickelback. So THERE! :laughing:

7 Likes

Most of the film media I’ve been embarrassed to admit to liking has been validated here as not too shabby actually, so maybe I’m just a trendsetter.

Maybe not super pop-pop culture, but I’ve settled on preferring cheesy, melodramatic EBM/industrial music over anything else. I was into jazz and 20th century avant garde composition at various points, almost went to school for music composition, and I still appreciate all that. But at the end of the day I’ll tend to go for goth club bangers about space war or something.

3 Likes

I’m not ashamed of any of my pop culture likes, but there have been things I’ve hesitated to admit to for fear of losing cool cred.

I’m old enough now to lean right into it and not care, though. So, for the record…

I LIKE PROG ROCK.

6 Likes

Rusted Root’s uptempo numbers are fun and I love them.

There. I said it, and I’d say it again if I had to.

3 Likes

I LIKE BARRY MANILOW there I said it

7 Likes

Please don’t tell anyone.

4 Likes

When it comes to UK girl groups, I must admit that I don’t hate Girls Aloud. Those ladies could rock when they wanted to.

4 Likes

I keep listening to this. I know it’s incredibly cheesy but I love it.

4 Likes

I enjoy the Bee Gees. At times after having a little too much to drink I’ll play a few songs and unsuccessfully try to sing in the high pitch tone. Not necessarily ashamed of liking them but couldn’t rock a shirt of theirs.

7 Likes

I’m not ashamed about any of the things I like, but my mom, on the other hand, would like to disown me for my love of Bobby Darin and Tom Jones.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I know it’s not “great” cinema, but I’ve always enjoyed Krull and thought it was an underrated popcorn chomper.

10 Likes

I’ve long been of the opinion that I shouldn’t have to feel guilty or apologize for the things I enjoy to do/watch/read/etc. I had a surfeit of that in school when I was bullied/teased for liking reading and I just decided one day to stop caring what other people thought about the things I enjoy. So now I’m completely unapologetic about them.

3 Likes

I like Krull too. Especially the soundtrack. But the movie is also fun.

5 Likes

Agreed - the Soundtrack (James Horner) is actually top-notch stuff when he was in his prime and I still listen to it this day.

3 Likes

I like all those 80’s fantasy movies… even the bad ones.

6 Likes

The Bee Gees typifies a pop culture sensation I secretly appreciate but wouldn’t openly grant to just anyone. Stayin Alive is infectious and incorporates the utmost of disco and 70s beat into one single. Night Fever strides in airy confidence existing flawlessly as it chimes in harmony to the groove. You Should Be Dancing boogies and simply won’t stop harnessing a 70s melody that intoxicates as it chimes. More Than A Woman dares on dancing seduction and utterly succeeds in sweet serenading of the ears. The Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack factors as a near perfect moment in musical time so much so it isn’t for everyone and I mostly keep it to myself.

3 Likes

Not ashamed, just strange…

Never cared about power rangers except RPM (great season) but over the last year spent a lot of time looking into, watching and reading about a lot about the shows, lore, and the original Sentai Series. (and bought a few action figures…)

Just finished watching Lupanranger Vs. Patranger, was a lot of fun, and a bit of a shame there are no plans to make a PR adaption.

2 Likes