Post Season 13 Plans

Since so many people are commenting on the sets, I’d like to say that I’m just fine with the chromakey sets and I think they add to the DIY charm of the show.

12 Likes

I will say for this iteration of the show it’s best to stay faithful to that vision moving ahead. To be honest, I miss real actual sets and hope they’re not completely gone forever. For MST3K, the digital environments once properly formatted and processed sync well into the vibe the show always had. This may be the future we’re looking at and we just have to get used it.

3 Likes

Also Alternaversal is so adept and primed now with Green Screen and the process familiarity makes it another tool to be used going forward. Stages and physical space are expensive and the investment of practical dressings on top of that even more so. It’s fairly likely the Chromakey sets are here to stay. They are part of the look of Season 13 and to replace them now may jeopardize the bottom line of the show in the future. And if that’s so? Keep them.

5 Likes

I noticed more physical props in the host segments in the latest episodes, and even that pretty well satisfied my nostalgia for real sets. More things to interact with gives a depth to the experience, rather than the rocket screens showing a drawing or what have you.

Basically, props will do, no need for full elaborate sets, IMO.

(I’m not sure they’re called “rocket screens” but my mind is blanking)

3 Likes

The term you’re looking for is “jet screen”

6 Likes

Greenscreen pretty much is today’s “cheapo DIY vibe”, if you ask me, since the space requirements are so much less and buying equipment/software capable of doing it reasonably well is a lot more within the reach of a low budget than it used to be.

7 Likes

I don’t think the digital sets add to the show, but I also don’t think they detract enough to be an obstacle to doing more seasons.

7 Likes

As far as real vs green screened sets I prefer real, though at the same time I’m with most others in that if gaining more seasons and content means a continued green screen approach then I am absolutely fine with it. But say things go in another crowd funding direction, it would be nice to have that as one of the benchmarks as far as getting to a certain amount would unlock it. I LOVED the approach for the Netflix seasons with the practical effects being used for the show open and for when guest stars would visit. Like I said though it’s a luxury I can be without if it means more content.

5 Likes

Real sets or green screen, I honestly don’t care. I’ve gotten used to the look this season, just as I’ve come to love Kelsey’s Crow. Are there things I would tweak? Sure. But frankly, I am willing to take any version if it means more MST3K. Even (as much as it pains me to say this) more Kaiju episodes. I’d do it for those of you who love them to pieces if it means more episodes for all of us.

In the near term, when Season 13 ends, my plan is to rewatch it until those riffs become part of my everyday speech, mothercrabber.

17 Likes

Woah! Language!

10 Likes

I regret nothing!

14 Likes

Don’t say that… they may uncover a ‘Yongary 2: rubber suit boogaloo’

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d prefer physical sets but I don’t mind the chromakey. The flatimation has an interesting texture of its own and let’s them do more ambitious visuals than we might have had on the budget. Maybe a mix of both would work.

4 Likes

Now with four times the itch-ray action!!

6 Likes

I don’t mind green screen sets but I do wish they could do something more dynamic with them occasionally. I haven’t seen much of the classic show but I liked how they had more areas of the ship than just the main console desk sometimes. It can feel like passing from the main stage into a private moment in the wings.

Another crowdfund drive would be exciting, but might push against the six to eight new episodes a year idea I also think is appropriate, because “more episodes” is the go to stretch goal.

As much as I really admire Every Classic Episode For Free, even with ads it feels to me like the loss leader to keep people coming to the site to see healthy encouragement to pay for passes to live events/Synthia Selects and for rentals and purchases. Without the member perks, a lot of what seems to be the point of the Gizmoplez feels like it would be lost, and I say that as someone who let my membership lapse after my spring pass from the KS ended to save money.

1 Like

I started a poll to get a sense of this very thing!

https://forums.mst3k.com/t/what-would-season-14-be/20439/25?u=interestingwerewolf

2 Likes

I’m thinking that for Season 14, Jonah and the Bots might riff at least one animated movie. There are lots of obscure, poor-quality animated movies out there, but there hasn’t been an animated movie that has been riffed on MST3K (of course, some of the movies that have been featured in past MST3K episodes did feature animated title sequences, like Moon Zero Two, Catalina Caper, and The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t).

Here are some animated movies that I think would be good candidates for the first MST3K-featured animated movie:

• The Seventh Brother (1991)

• Tiny Heroes (1997)

• The Ugly Duckling (1997)

• The Princess and the Goblin (1991)

• Willy the Sparrow (1989)

• Sir Billi (2012)

• The Legend of Sarila (aka Frozen Land) (2013)

• Super K – The Movie (aka Kiara the Brave) (2011)

• Shark Bait (aka The Reef: Shark Bait) (2006)

• The Reef 2: High Tide (2012)

• Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie (1998)

• Dino Time (aka Back to the Jurassic) (2012)

• Koala Kid (aka the Outback) (2012)

I sure hope the idea of MST3K riffing an animated movie comes into fruition.

3 Likes

Not to mention a stop-motion animated Gumby short with Robot Rumpus AND those scenes in Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders where the family watched the cartoon “Balloonland” and the animated series, The Ultraman.

Which is to say… who knows?

Also also, welcome to the forums, glad to have ya here!

3 Likes

So, I’m reading all about how they plan to wrap up the season and such in the new year, but what’s happening after February? Can we renew Gizmoplex passes? Will it just be there for us to use? What’s the plan for the future? It doesn’t sound like they’ve starting anything for a season 14, but who knows?

I would like to say that this has been a magical year for fans of MST3K. In 1999, we all thought it was over, and then there was Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic, which was nice, but not quite the same. The Netflix reboot was awesome, but then again, it looked like it was all over. Congrats to everyone involved in making this The Year of MST3K. The live premieres and tribute events have been such a joy to experience, and the new episodes have earned their place in MST3K lore. Way to go!

LET’S MAKE EVEN MORE MST3K!

8 Likes

Amen to ALL of that - and welcome to the forums, @Brad_Mulholland!

3 Likes