pre-Season (K Season?) of MST3K

Before what can be called a Season 1, there was a ~21 episode “season,” which I have seen called “K##,” that looks as if they’re filmed in a TV station after hours. Everyone has long hair, Servo is silver, and I think the Satellite of Love is mainly pasta colanders?
What am I looking at here? Is this indeed a TV station? What year was this? For reference, K16 is City on Fire…
Does anyone know? Thanks!

Oh, p.s. I did do a topics search to make sure this wasn’t a repeat topic, and I didn’t see one - so, sorry if this is redundant.

3 Likes

We been calling it season zero/KTMA.

Jim and Kevin worked at KTMA TV station. Jim was basically the boss there so he asked Joel to make a show. Joel brought Trace and Josh along.

6 Likes

I like going to https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_List to find out more info about each episode, especially those early seasons.

5 Likes

I’ve not been to this page! Thank you.

5 Likes

Hi Crystal!

These are the original KTMA episodes that aired on a local UHF station in Minnesota…

A few of us here share the experience of crawling in an attic to adjust an antenna to be able to watch these early episodes of the show that grew into something so many now love…

A few of the movies riffed in this season of MST3K v1.0b1 have been reriffed in later seasons on Comedy Central (and one will be reriffed in S13 in the Gizmoplex!!!)

The KTMA episodes gave birth to what so many now love, and some feel they’re awesome in their own special way, and some, even Joel, are extremely critical of them?

If you watch them and enjoy them, welcome to the apparently strange sect of the MST3K cult, er family. If you watch them and find yourself agreeing with Joel that they may not be worth watching (heretic!!! Just kidding… mostly…) understand that you’re not alone… these episodes exist for some as odd happy time capsules (Capsule!!!) of a time we suddenly discovered that maybe, just maybe, we weren’t as weird as we feared, huddling for warmth in the MN Arctic cold…

Enjoy!

7 Likes

I’ve heard it both ways. :wink:

5 Likes

One of us
One of us
One of us

:wink:

4 Likes

Joining Welcome Home GIF

4 Likes

Why not use the original?

freaks-one-of-us

5 Likes

Because that one didn’t come up at the top of my GIF search. For my edification, what’s that from?

2 Likes

It’s from the movie “Freaks” by Tod Browning. That’s what the people in the other clip (and MST3K when they do it) are referencing.

4 Likes

Tod Browning’s 1932 film “Freaks” about people in a circus sideshow.

4 Likes

Psych fans? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@FastidiousRobot and @JoeC , much obliged.

@TomServo78, yes indeed! :pineapple:

3 Likes

psychyouknowthatsright3

5 Likes

By chance, have you seen the MST Scrapbook? It’s a fantastic historical document of sorts from that first pre-Sci Fi Channel era of MST3K.

It’s got some neat stuff from the KTMA/Season 0 days at the beginning!

3 Likes

Not Children of the Corn?

2 Likes

I’d bet anything that the original MST3K crew were very familiar with Freaks, the original source of the line.

3 Likes

There are several episodes of this Backlot special on shoutfactorytv.com—this one talks about KTMA a bit.

2 Likes

:pineapple:

3 Likes