Premier League & Other Footballing ('21-'22)

About to lose my crap. My Brighton & Hove Albion is taking on Crystal Palace today, and if they win, they go TOP OF THE FREAKING EPL TABLE. A draw lands us in a 5-way tie on points in second, and we’re not even going to consider a loss. For a team that was fighting relegation last season, to go top would be AH-mazing.

UP THE ALBION!

Premier League Football GIF by Prime Video

1 Like

Nice former Liverpool player gif.

I loved watching BHA with Glenn Murray as striker- peak British was nearly achieved there…

1 Like

Heee, I’m fairly neutral on Liverpool, but I’ve been a fan of Lallana for a while now; he’s one of the reasons I started watching Brighton hardcore the last couple years.

Somehow I totally missed Murray played for the Wilmington Hammerheads for a spell; my home side Louisville City FC played against them in the USL for a few years before the Hammerheads disbanded. Huh!

2 Likes

Love Louisville! I sent away for some racing/Louisville stickers when they first announced the team. (Haven’t decided where to stick them just yet…)

Haven’t watched enough MLS/NWSL lately, but I’m a Red Stars fan, and Zlatan got me on board with the Galaxy. I’m not a Chicago Fire fan, they just don’t do it for me!

1 Like

AAAHHHH!!! Nice! I’m a Founding Member season ticket holder for both squads; it’s been such a great ride. Still have confetti from when we stormed the pitch after the 2017 USL Cup. I commend you for your taste in squads! :+1: Racing will get better, it’s just been a very bumpy year. And thank you for Yuki…she is a queen!

I just can’t get into MLS for some reason. It just leaves me cold, though I do nominally support the Columbus Crew. I was a huge Galaxy supporter back in the Donovan / Beckham / Keane days; actually got to match in LA once!

2 Likes

Yuki and McKaskill were two of my faves. Treat those amazing ladies right!

I was at the Red Stars game with all the players coming back from the 2019 World Cup. It was an absolute blast!

Once things tone down, and my kid can get vaxxed, I want to visit Louisville for sure. I haven’t been to Louisville for 15+ years, since my cousin’s wedding there.

And I really want to go to Kansas City, too- another great football (soccer) town.

1 Like

We will. Savannah and Yuki are the best!

And give a holler when you get in for a game; I can point ya in the right direction…and buy you a beverage! :grin:

2 Likes

Perhaps one of my fellow Misties can offer some advice. I used to love the NFL, but tapped out after 40 years or so of following it devotedly.

I really got into the Premiership matches while living in London and I enjoy the sport (aside from the flopping). And, as Mrs. Freeman and I have been watching (and loving) “Ted Lasso,” I’ve been pondering picking a team in the premiership to follow.

So, any suggestions? I’d kind of like to follow a team that DOESN’T have foreign ownership as it seems like that hasn’t been a great situation for some of the clubs, but, otherwise, I’m open to suggestions.

3 Likes

Liverpool is my team of choice. But I’ve also taken to supporting some of the smaller clubs (Norwich City is one I’ve been drawn to, along with Wolverhampton. And Swansea and Fulham when they were in it.) the promotion/relegation allows for new teams to cycle through, so there’s often some fun, fresh team to support!

2 Likes

A lot of good music from Liverpool. I will put them down for consideration. Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome, fellow Greyhound! We’re here, we’re there, we’re every f-ing where!!

There’s a pretty big split in the Premier League these days; there’s the Big Six (Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham Hotspur), then the others.

Most of the clubs do have foreign ownership - current list here - but in the case of Leicester City (one of my teams), the Thai family who owns the club has done wonderful things for the club and is pretty much beloved.

My 2nd club, Brighton & Hove Albion, is a scrappy little club that almost went under a while back, until an English fan (with means, obviously) bought a controlling interest and kept them afloat. They have one of the best up and coming managers and some great players. They’re also off to their best start, well, ever!

And I’ve recently fallen in love with Brentford, a recently promoted club who is punching WAY above their weight class and I’m loving them. Just a fun team to watch.

So I recommend Leicester City, Brighton & Hove Albion, and Brentford. If you have the time and ability, I’d suggest watching a few weeks of matches (they are all available on Peacock streaming) and see which team calls to you.

Just not Manchester City. Please no. :joy:

3 Likes

Aww, I miss Fulham and Craven Cottage!

2 Likes

Gorgeous stadium. I wish more US sports teams had those classic legacy grounds…

1 Like

LOL Yes, I’m really wishing there was an AFC Richmond.

Thank you for the informative answer. I’ll have to check out you suggestions.

3 Likes

Have you preordered the AFC Richmond scarf? I totally did!

No problem! I’ve always been a footy fan, but I got in WAY deep during quarantine. Like, I even listen to British podcasts. :joy: Hit me up if you have any questions!

2 Likes

And they just finished a renovation. I remember during last season, the camera angles at Craven were totally fubar-ed because of the work on the Stand!

2 Likes

An offer she soon came to regret LOL

I actually was thinking of seeing what merchandise might exist as possible gifts for the couple that let us use their Apple password to watch the show. Good to know that some exists.

3 Likes

LOL, never! I love nerding out with people! It’s a running joke in my circle that I was a teacher in a past life. :nerd_face:

Here’s the link to the official Ted Lasso shop — they have got some gorgeous stuff in there. Apologies to your wallet.

2 Likes

Much appreciated.

Yes, there’s a lot of cool stuff in that shop. Good to know. I do need to thank these friends and there’s some wonderful options.

3 Likes

Watching Brentford v Leicester this morning and it’s killing me…I love both these sides so much. Maybe a draw’s the best I can hope for….

Manchester United v Liverpool at Old Trafford later today. Anything can happen…as Samuel L. Jackson would say, “Hold onto your butts!”

2 Likes