Previews & Trailers & Sneak Peeks, Oh My!

Welcome to the Coming Soon Thread, your (hopefully) one-stop shop for upcoming media projects that you are super psyched about and / or intrigued by. Trailers, previews, announcements, behind the scenes looks? Drop 'em here.

Try to keep one to a post to keep some semblance of order, if you would!

(insert herding cats joke here)

5 Likes

So yesterday was Star Trek Day ā€“ 55 years and still boldly going! ā€“ and while there were several announcements and updates, nothing got me more pumped than the full cast announcement of Strange New Worlds, the Star Trek: Discovery spinoff that features Captain Pike and the crew of the Enterprise before James T. Kirk. Fans screamed for this one almost immediately, and Paramount came through. Here is the announcement / first look from yesterday:

:scream: :exploding_head: :heart_eyes: :grin: :vulcan_salute:

This is the most excited Iā€™ve been about anything Trek, and that is SAYINā€™ something!!

8 Likes

Capt. Pike was the only thing I liked about ST: Discovery, so Iā€™m hopeful about this series. Have they announced a premiere date, yet?

3 Likes

Woo, this is great! And hurrah more exploration of the canon. Discovery is fun but itā€™s way off script. :laughing:

2 Likes

I LOVED Pike and I really grew to like Peckā€™s Spockā€¦I can see him growing into Nimoyā€™s Spock, which I never got that feeling off Quinto. Anyhooā€¦

No, no premiere date yet, though theyā€™re done with filming unless they need a reshoot or two. If I had to guess, Iā€™d say early next year. Though earlier the better as far as Iā€™m concerned!

3 Likes

There were things I loved about Disco, things I disliked about Disco, and one thing that makes me froth at the mouth about Disco. :rofl: That being said, Iā€™ve watched all of Disco and am looking forward to S4.

Iā€™m even more pumped about SNW. Pike was the best thing about Disco S2, and according to the Powers That Be, this is supposed to be a more episodic show as opposed to the story-arc format. This really has the potential to be the best thing to happen to Trek in years. So freaking psyched!

2 Likes

Iā€™m enjoying Disco too, but I really treat it as its own thing. The retconning of Spockā€™s sister, the mycelium drive, and holographic communications tread an uncomfortable line about introducing a lot of elements just to make the reveal of when the series takes place more shocking. But I do still like it.

I suspect Iā€™m going to like SNW a lot more, however. About the only thing I enjoyed about Enterprise was seeing all the classic races getting attention, since the Federation was much smaller then. Iā€™m hoping SNW does that again with better main characters and a more compelling setting.

1 Like

Making Michael the captain at the end of S3 really killed it for me. I wouldnā€™t let that reckless jerk take care of my pet poodle (which I do not have).

A Trek set in the far future where the Federation is fading could have been a really good series if theyā€™d started fresh.

2 Likes

ā€œSpoilers, sweetie.ā€ Iā€™ve not see S3 yet, but this reveal alone doesnā€™t ruin it for me. Still, be kind to others. :wink:

Meanwhile, hereā€™s a new book Iā€™m picking up that fellow Trekkies here might be interested in.

Iā€™m very likely in a minority of a minority here, but I thought Spock never mentioning a sister other than in Discovery was the most Spock thing ever. It might be slightly ridiculous, but it completely fits the established character.

1 Like

The finale of S3 aired in January. How long you gonna chide someone over ā€˜spoilersā€™?

Thereā€™s gotta be a statute of limitations on ā€˜spoiler scoldingā€™.

1 Like

Spoiler Alert for Picard Season 2:

7 Likes

:rofl: I see what you did there.

Dune has never been my thing (Iā€™ve seen the original because of my Sting crush, natch), but this does look really good. Itā€™s on the list to check out!

3 Likes

And this trailer dropped today. Iā€™ve seen all of the original trilogy, but I remember almost nothing about the last two. So, Uh, rewatch, I supposeā€¦

4 Likes

Well, Strange New Worlds looks interesting. I never cared much for Discovery. Saw the premiere episodes the CBS aired and decided it wasnā€™t worth the subscription to a streamer CBS had been limping along for years on repeats of NCIS. Hopefully, you wonā€™t need a background in Discovery to understand whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

Thought I was being polite about it. My bad.

I rewatched the trilogy about a month ago. Going straight through for the first time, it held up better than I thought it would. Still a lot of head shaking moments in the sequels, but I still have hopes for this one.

I think the movie Iā€™m most looking forward to at the moment is the new Candyman. But I do very much want to see the new Dune as well. A bit nervous about the mutterings Iā€™ve heard about that one, but my tastes seldom dovetail with the general opinion anyway and Iā€™ll take it on its own merits.

2 Likes

I think if nothing else, being MSTies has taught us how to enjoy movies on their own merits and enjoy them for what they are. :wink:

6 Likes

So true. By the way, Iā€™m hoping SNW will explore more of this ā€œKlingons surgically altered into human-like agentsā€ thread touched on in Disco. It might even be a main plot thread, given the prevalence of human-like Klingons in the original series. Perhaps this infitration program runs amok and the human-like agents form a breakaway faction? Weā€™ll see!

1 Like