Prisons (Places and Architecture)

Where many people live out their lives. Months, years, decades. Shared Cells, Solitary Confinement, Guards. State, Federal, Military Prison. Some retired and now tourist attractions. Alcatraz, Sing Sing, Ohio State Reformatory. They tell a story. How they look. The Courtyard, The Hallways, Showers. Where have you visited? And what lingers?

1 Like

Note: Remember this is about the places and your interactions with them. The history, the way they appear, and pictures you have to share. This IS NOT a larger conversation on prisons but a look at the sites that exist. No editorials will be accepted on this topic.

2 Likes

By editorials, keep it on the buildings not any bigger subject. But feel free to comment by all means. Sorry if I sounded too stern. I attempted to avoid this causing trouble not kill it where it stands. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve done a tour of my local county jail – well, the shiny new one with all the stuff, not the scruffy old one where everyone seems to end up. I’ve also been to Alcatraz, which is a very grim place in one of the most scenic settings imaginable.

3 Likes

You have any Alcatraz pictures by chance?

1 Like

I have a few that I took from a boat, but I don’t seem to have any from on the island. If I have any, I didn’t tag them such that I can find them in my photo collection (which has 75,961 photos in it).

3 Likes

When I lived in Yuma, we would go by the old Territorial Prison when we had people visit. It’s a pretty quick stop, especially in the summer !

The Yuma High school mascot are the Criminals !

3 Likes

But did you get Vicky as your tour guide?

hqdefault

3 Likes

Or this guy?

2 Likes

Probably the most famous prison in America. Everyone knows it. Here’s a few more.

1 Like

Another prison of near Alcatraz fame. Leavenworth in northeastern Kansas. United States Penitentiary Leavenworth was the first of three prisons built on federal land in Leavenworh County Kansas.

1 Like

The Yuma Criminals?

1 Like

Go Criminals, beat the Kofa Kings !!!

Yuma High School - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Sing Sing. A name synonymous with penitentiaries. Located 30 miles north of Midtown Manhattan on the east bank of the Hudson River, its name is derived the Native American Indian Tribe the land was bought from in 1685. The fifth prison built from New York Authorities. Opened in 1826 and still operating to this day.

2 Likes

I never knew Sing Sing was the origin of the phrase “up the the river”.

I went to high school directly across the river from it, though.

3 Likes

Apparently my great-grandfather did some time in Leavenworth, and even shivved a guy in line for breakfast. Strangely, my grandmother never mentioned any of that.

3 Likes