Pronoun flair?

In another thread just now, @NotMerrittStone kindly referred to me as “them.” I use he/him, but I appreciate that not being assumed. It occurs to me, though, that it might be helpful if we had some way to opt in to more prominently displaying our preferred pronouns. Is there a way to use the “flair” feature for that? I did select my pronouns for my profile page, but to get to that, you have to click over to an entirely different page and, in fact, I’d entirely forgotten that was even there. If there’s a way to display that response below your username on every post, that would be helpful. What do you think, Sirs, Madams, and Non-Binary Folk?

28 Likes

Not a bad idea.

5 Likes

That would actually be great! While i don’t mind he/they either (those are my other pronouns I use), xe/xem is still highly preferred but isn’t really used by others so often. So having that flair would be a miracle

7 Likes

For what it’s worth, it’s not necessary to navigate to a new page to see your pronouns – just clicking your avatar shows pronouns in the popup, and this seems to work even with the very tiny avatar versions. :grinning:

8 Likes

I like the idea. There are people out there that don’t go by ‘him’ or ‘her’ and we should be respectful of their self-identity and inclusive so that they feel welcome and part of our community.

8 Likes

I like the ze/zir series of pronouns. I imagine that before too long one of the many proposed alternate sets will catch fire and become the de facto standard. Right now it’s still in flux. Language is always evolving, and as with evolution it’s usually a breakout event that establishes the dominance of a given form.

6 Likes

I think this would be cool to add as well.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Good idea!

2 Likes

I like zir - it has a panache

3 Likes

I like ze/zim/zir or xe/xim/xer for anyone not involved in biological reproduction that chooses them, but honestly, in my opinion, he/him and she/her were pronouns designed SPECIFICALLY for those that were"built" (for the lack of a better term) for human reproduction, with “he/him” members with an XY chromosome producing sperm, and “she/her” for those with an “XX” chromosome producing eggs.

But, to each their own.

2 Likes

I’m going to give you the advice of “don’t be transphobic on the thread of people wanting their pronouns more clearly displayed” because no amount of “to each their own” stops the fact that you’re being rude and insensitive. Also, biologically speaking, we don’t have pronouns encoded in our chromosomes. If you don’t understand something, at least be respectful.

17 Likes

My son is he/him with XX chromosomes.

13 Likes

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for learning something new, and to realize that the comment is inconsiderate.

9 Likes

I don’t even understand what “being involved in biological production” has to do with anything. I’m past the age for that, biologically. It doesn’t change my gender. o_0

13 Likes

I really think pronoun flairs are a wonderful idea! Hope they figure out a way to implement them

8 Likes

Pronoun preference is already on the profile :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

They appear to have been implemented already, either by default or in response to this conversation. I just checked and it’s in your profile settings.

2 Likes

I’m not “built” to make babies. There are absolutely better ways of expressing that. Also trans people have babies.

8 Likes

Living in the south, I have to say “y’all” has been useful and gender-neutral.

13 Likes

I think the idea is to make them visible on the main pages underneath your avatar, rather than having to click on someone’s profile picture to get them.

I agree with the idea; one of the many things I am trying to do to recognize my own personal unconscious biases is to directly and actively address people with their preferred pronouns when I am made aware of them, but I don’t always remember to click on someone’s profile picture to get it correct. Having it displayed under someone’s profile would make it much easier.

9 Likes