Prop Reuse

I just noticed that the helmets used in King Dinosaur are the same as Rocky Jones, Space Ranger

I’m sure I’ve seen the spacesuits from Destination Moon used in several films.

What other props have made their way around Hollywood?

3 Likes

Is it fair to invoke Roger Corman or Lippert? He was very willing to reduce, reuse and recycle. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Absolutely!

3 Likes

My first thought was that he used the control devices from It Conquered the World as bats in The Undead.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that “chocolate bar” suit in Hercules Against The Moon Men and Ator: The Fighting Eagle (and technically Cave Dwellers too :stuck_out_tongue: )!

4 Likes

I honestly have lost track of how many flicks Roger Corman used the “Star Raiders” spaceship FX from. I suspect he did similarly with the “Battle Beyond the Stars” as well, but it’s not as memorable to me. And of course, Slab Bulkhead was flying around in the Galactica. Spacey stuff is expensive, so it gets re-used a lot.

Apart from that, off the top of my head Cat Woman of the Moon has a Bonestell (moon landscape) that was used in a bunch of other moives, at least Project Moonbase and Destination: Moon. (I think Kubrick paid Bonestell for an original for 2001 :wink: ). Same with the suits and sets, those were definitely reused.

One Million B.C., the classic 1940 dinosaur thriller starring the delicious Carole Landis had its footage lifted many, many times, including by Robot Monster and Teenage Caveman, but not King Dinosaur, which Bert I. Gordon did on his own (after rejecting footage that the Rays Bradbury and Harryhausen had apparently assembled). The remake with the delicious Raquel Welch also got ripped off, though not nearly as much, notably in the credits for “Malcom in the Middle”.

Now, try this one on for size: Rocketship X-M rocket FX were used by Firemaidens but also Lost Continent, which had its dinosaur footage lifted for Robot Monster! :dizzy_face: :

4 Likes

Crow: King Dinosaur? THAT’S FROM KING DINO-I’m leavin’

6 Likes

There is that thing with the 2 light tubes that shows up in lots of movies:

15 Likes

jacob

7 Likes

I present the most famous movie and television show computer you’ve never known the name of, the IBM AN/FSQ-7 Combat Direction Central.

Irwin Allen seemed particularly taken with it. And despite its age, it keeps popping up on sets to this day!

7 Likes

The spacesuits from Moon Zero Two made their rounds.

http://www.davidsissonmodels.co.uk/Moon%20Zero%20Two%20Spacesuits.htm

There are some pics of the current condition of the suits too (not sure when the website was published though).

4 Likes

Of course, the monster suit in Teenage Cave Man got loaned out to Roger’s loser brother Gene for Night of the Blood Beast. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The Oscillation Overthruster from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension was used several times in Star Trek.

7 Likes
2 Likes

The burger painting from “This Island Earth” is also in “The Leech Woman”.

5 Likes

All the interior decor from both A Talking Cat?!? and Santa’s Summer House.

3 Likes

Our next “prop” needs no introduction:

It’s almost hard to believe that Robby is old enough to collect Social Security if it could convince the U.S. government that it was alive. Over thirty official onscreen appearances to date.

4 Likes

The Hulk Hogan cheese fest Suburban Commando reuses the PKE meter from Ghostbusters.

3 Likes

Even more if you squint at Lost In Space.

3 Likes

Ha-ha! There’s a painting of a hamburger? I’m going to have to watch one of those two again just to see that.

3 Likes