Put on a robe and fling some magic: It's your OPEN THREAD for the premiere of DOCTOR MORDRID, tonight at 8pm ET / 5pm PT, only in the Gizmoplex!

The Snowman was completely unknown to me, so I’ve learned a thing!

3 Likes

Oh, I completely forgot, more J. Elvis! Always glad to see Dr. Erhardt drop in.

5 Likes

I didn’t grow up with it, as I was already a teenager when it came out and it was a few years before it became well known in the U.S. But I have seen it, so I got the riff.

1 Like

Shenanigans Dance is an immediate top five stinger for me. :rofl:

4 Likes

Emily and her crew knock another one out of the park! I felt strongly that I would like this episode, but instead I love it. Extremely high quality riffing, and plenty of deep cut references too. This is classic era MST3K, it even felt like an episode from the Joel era. The only downside of this episode is that it means there’s just one Emily episode left! (Well, plus her appearance at Christmas.)

Love, love, love Team Emily! And thanks for giving GPC2 some time in the theatre as well!

9 Likes

Just finished the episode. This seriously may be my new favorite episode. And I don’t even pick favorites, as a rule. The movie is a delight, and the riffing makes my Gen X heart sing. So many spot-on deep cut riffs from my childhood, despite being delivered by people who are too young to know of such things. (How do you even know/remember Opposites Attract?) Emily may well become my favorite host, which I was not expecting after spending so many years with Joel and Mike. I have now fully accepted Kelsey’s Crow to the point that I was 20 minutes into the episode before I remembered that I wasn’t supposed to be used to her voice yet. Connor, as always, is an excellent Servo. Love having GPC in the theater, just subtly popping up from behind the seat to get a few riffs in here and there. The host segments were all fun and played well with the movie. Shoutout to my fellow defenders of the Oxford comma! The whole thing just made me so happy. Which I really needed because I’m having a rough day.

But then… not only is it such a good episode, not only did it air just a couple of days after my birthday, but… It’s the one with my name in the credits! I couldn’t have asked for better.

Plus we get to see Josh, and he’s going to fetch Joel! So cool.

(My one minor complaint is the reference to Stockholm Syndrome, which is actually a sexist myth used to explain away why a woman would be critical of the police who badly mismanaged her hostage situation, created by a doctor who never actually spoke to the woman in question.)

Tim mentioned the Snowman riff, and I absolutely got that one right off the bat. That was perfect. Loved the Harryhausen riff, too. So many gems here.

For the record, I do have a squid hat. Mine’s a rainbow!

Love that you got C. Courtney Joyner in to tell us more about the movie.

It was odd watching Weyoun from DS9 playing against Robocop’s TV partner Detective Lisa Madigan, working for Kawalsky from SG-1.

Miss Took is an absolutely perfect off the top of your head copy of Mystique. Well done, Kelsey.

I have to admit that Courtney is right about Kato vs. Robin, but, come on. While that’s going on, Batman is totally clobbering Green Hornet. Or, more likely, Kato faces off against Batman while Robin takes down Green Hornet. Green Hornet is the brains (and funding) of the operation, but he relies on Kato to do the heavy lifting in combat. Without his gun, Green Hornet isn’t a major threat.

The talk of the show’s comedy as historical preservation of the movies makes me nostalgic for Cinematic Titanic.

But, seriously. Thank you so much for this episode. Absolutely made my day.

10 Likes

Oxford comma for life!

7 Likes

True, although I don’t think it was common knowledge when they were writing the episode.

@RocketJForklift, @Dr_Phantom, and I are correct about the Oxford comma.

7 Likes

Wasn’t she also the decoy FBI agent in Jason Goes to Hell?

1 Like

Is that Phil LaMarr?

Music by Howard Blake, who also scored The Duellists and Flash Gordon. Oh, and also Amityville 3D.

5 Likes

If you mean Stockholm Syndrome, there have been articles about it for years. There was a tweet thread (sadly, the account that posted it has since been deleted) about it that got quite a lot of attention two years ago.

It is! Good eye. The picture was taken at Emerald City ComicCon. But I had the honor of having dinner with him that night, and got to read a couple of lines in the recording booth with him and some very familiar voices.

That’s me with Maurice Lamarche (The Brain from Pinky & The Brain), Jim Cummings (Pooh, Tigger, Darkwing Duck, etc.), Billy West (Fry and Prof Farnsworth from Futurama), Phil LaMar, Steve Blum (Wolverine, and every gravely-voiced tough guy from every video game ever), Matt Mercer, Matt Yang King (Love, Death, and Robots, various video game roles, Marty Mantle on Riverdale, etc.), and Jennifer Hale (Sheppard from Mass Effect, Miss Keane on the original Powerpuff Girls, etc.). Directed by Charlie Adler (Buster from Tiny Toons, Starscream from the Transformers movies, T-Bone from SWAT Kats, and many more).

Partly because the walk-on voice cameo was a (very expensive but absolutely amazing) Kickstarter reward and partly because the series creator is a personal friend. It was a hell of a weekend.

(But I honestly don’t have a better picture of the squid hat handy. I sadly don’t get enough occasion to wear it. It’s also very lightweight with a very large surface area, so tends not to do well outdoors.)

6 Likes

Haha, that’s pretty awesome. I am familiar with most of them.

2 Likes

I write the newsletter for a local organization, and a lovely woman (who used to work at a major newspaper) proofreads and edits it.

I like Oxford commas. She does not. 80% of her edits are stricken commas :joy:

3 Likes

Gah. Come on. The Oxford comma serves a very useful function. The only reason it was ever dropped in newspaper publishing was that they were using manual typesetting. Sliding that extra little comma tile into the row could be a real pain, and could mess up the column width. But that hasn’t been how papers have been published in generations. It’s ridiculous that they’re still teaching people not to use it. I thought they were supposed to be in the business of current events.

4 Likes

I definitely may have missed something, because trying to a) watch the episode while b) following the forum and c) managing the fact that most of you are 2 minutes ahead of me because of Roku lag, definitely leaves a sort of attention deficit.

So please correct me if I’m wrong was was the entire plot of this movie, “Hi I’m Jeffrey Combs and I don’t blink. My childhood friend turned evil and he was going to take over the world with the help of his two white trash henchpeople. So I stabbed him with a fossil. The end.” Is that about it?

6 Likes

I didn’t read through everything during the livestream, but I did love that mech hands made another appearance during Tom’s stand up routine.

5 Likes

Ok so I’ve just watched the non-livestream version and
JEFFREY COMBS
DUDE FROM THE X-FILES / DS9
KAWALSKY FROM STARGATE SG-1
EDGAR

First off, Jeffrey Combs is a god so the only gripe I have is that he only played 1 role. :smiley:
(Brian Thompson looked fabulous.)
I actually wanted not-Kawalsky to die but hey, Combs saved the entire human race so hey-ho.

Loved the banter - I spat my drink out at his talk ‘Criminial Minds and Supernatural’ and Crow goes 'Shemar Moore and Jensen Ackes!"
So many good riffs I can’t go into them all. Really enjoying the new hosts, even if I do miss old Crow.

That’s it - I’m back to lurking. Going to go see what supernatural stuff (sadly without Jensen Ackles) is in the Vault Picks this month. :partying_face:

2 Likes

He was also the landlord.

5 Likes