Question to crew or cast about Kelsey's ADR? (re-recording dialogue)

I’m curious about the work or the difficulties, or challenges in recording Kelsey’s vocals for Crow.

I read some opinions out there on this subject, from people who weren’t there, so I’d be interested getting the truth from those who were, and from Kelsey herself if she doesn’t mind.

I’ve done studio work for music and one thing I apparently did well, was patch in, or re-recording vocals (one engineer said it could be a nightmare, but I’d nail it every time). It came easy for me, but I still had to have my timing down, get the lyrics in between measures or whatnot (and I’ve long forgotten most of what I knew about reading music, so this was done from my head).

But that’s music, how different is it for a voice actor for a show? You might not have measures, but you still have to fit your performance between other actor’s lines, you still have to have the timing and make the delivery sound natural and not come off sounding restricted or constrained by the vocals you’re replacing.

And I think Kelsey’s been on point there, to my ears never has she sounded oh, stilted or robotic (sorry) - she comes off natural and at ease, her delivery and rapport is spot on. But were there challenges, or did she/you just do your thing, “be you, being Crow”, no prob?

I’m also wondering - how many sessions or days did it take to record Crow’s lines? And who worked with her on that, was synchronization ever difficult?

I’ll add some @, to throw a net out there, for anyone in the know… @timryder @mattmcg22 @OneBradyLady

4 Likes

Kelsey is a really good puppeteer if her TikTok page which I forgot the link to because I don’t do TikTok is any indication. I imagine lipsynching to a puppet wouldn’t be difficult for her.

2 Likes

It’s a lot like the opening scene to Mrs. Doubtfire.

I know what it looks like, I know what it looks like when there’s dubbing from an international film, replacing the vocals from one language to another.

Comedians have teased that when it’s off, the jokes about voices not matching up in Japanese pictures for example. When it’s wrong, it can ruin a performance (the guy who voices Brando in the uncut Quemada), when it’s right, like the actor who did Anthony Quinn for La Strada, it’s pretty amazing. Because he’s not just lining up words but capturing the emotion.

Yeah, since Crow doesn’t have lips lol, lining up dialogue is a little easier. Still, you’re working with other actors, so conversations have to sound natural, and it does. So, I’m impressed.

2 Likes

MST3K has dealt with a lot of dubbed films over the years, FWIW.