Question: What to call a non-riffed movie?

When you are saying you have a movie, it’s easy to say that you have a riffed version (“I have the MST3K/CT/FC/Rifftrax version!”), but what do you call a movie that HASN’T been riffed (or the non-riffed version).

Non-riffed sounds too tame, and “straight” doesn’t seem right either (esp. for a comedy [possibly only intended] movie.)

1 Like

I just say I watched the un-riffed version. I’m not worried about it sounding tame, as long the point gets across.

The Virgin Version.

2 Likes

Vanilla versus spicy.

3 Likes

The un-riffed version, maybe the original version.

Or possibly no qualifier. The riffed version gets the qualifier.

2 Likes

Another vote for “vanilla”.

3 Likes

That’s, like, the square version, man.

6 Likes

I just say “Movie.” :grin: I like to keep things simple.

3 Likes

The Snyder Cut

3 Likes

How did I know you’d get there first?!

1 Like

Because I love food?

1 Like

The painful version.

2 Likes

The Marvin.

As in, “I saw the Munchie Marvin. It was rad, dude”.

2 Likes

Back in the days of webrings, people who did MiSTings (basically doing MST3K style typed riffing of fanfics) called non-riffed stories “Bot Fodder”…so maybe that?

3 Likes

Personally, I’d call it “meh.”

1 Like

I would also like to submit “Without a net.” As in, “I just watched Hobgoblins without a net!”

6 Likes

With some of these movies, it probably is that dangerous to watch them unriffed. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A blank canvas

2 Likes

Potential future Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode…

1 Like

Every now and then I get to flex my Linguistics degree and talk about marked and unmarked classes. That’s what Vader is talking about here, and I stand behind this 100%.

Unless you’ve got a really funny name for the concept, then I’ll declare my studies a waste of time and money.

2 Likes