Random dinosaur stuff

Just interested in random dinosaur information. Got any?

I am suspiciously fond of:

4 Likes

Also: Meet Ajnabia odysseus, First Duck-Billed Dinosaur from Africa | Paleontology | Sci-News.com

This is really groovy:

I dig dino news, thanks! My favorite period though is the Ediacaran. Check out some of the Ediacaran biota when you get a chance if you’re not familiar with it. Nature was in her experimental phase when she created a lot of these lifeforms, some of which went no further and others which underpin species today.

I highly recommend this book, for one.

1 Like

Fendonkin is the real deal. The ‘Vendobiota’ is fascinating. Interpreting it is an amazing process of inductive reasoning because the critters are so different than later forms.

1 Like

Also, co-author Patricia Vickers-Rich is an authentic dinosaur scientist!

1 Like

All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end. That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too

3 Likes

Dinosteak drive-in order will flip your car over.

2 Likes

A lot of dinosaurs probably had feathers.

Behold the velociraptor! I tell my students that it now looks like a murderous chicken.

4 Likes

If this proves successful, we are on our way to bringing them back. Can make designer breeds like Jurassic World.

1 Like

This is a bit more hazy than it sounds. Basically they are going to put some mammoth genes into an otherwise elephanty elephant.

Yes, definitely designer animals!

1 Like

Is that Luis Rey’s work? It looks a little low-key for him.

1 Like

And you know, I find that much more terrifying than the Jurassic Park version…MURDER DEATH CHICKENS!

3 Likes

They were about the size of chickens too, unlike in Jurassic Park.

3 Likes

They do have the mad scientist plot going on. Bring back the woolly mammoth and it will somehow fix climate change. Makes me wonder if it’s a well thought out scam.

1 Like

A mad scientist plot, you say?

4 Likes

I don’t know who the artist is. It’s from one of DK Publishing’s books.

I agree that this is still very frightening. They don’t look nice.

I believe there’s one variety (the Utahraptor?) that is about the size of the ones in Jurassic Park, but most were definitely small.

(And I’m writing this while watching The Land that Time Forgot. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Utahraptor is a weirdo: the longest claw is actually on the thumb and not the second toe, although the second toe claw was still pretty big and retractable.

1 Like

Believe it for not, there used to be a Nintendo 64 game called Dinosaur Planet:

… which was going to be released in the year 2000, until Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto turned it into a game for the Gamecube called Star Fox Adventures.

2 Likes

My younger brother was somewhat disappointed to learn today that poop he paid $10 for at a flea market isn’t actually poop.

It was siderite instead, but he was assured by the curator of the Poozeum (whom he consulted for the identification) that he got a decent deal on his purchase.

Yes, there really is a Poozeum!
Apparently, there is more than one such “museum”. This is the one that my brother consulted:

1 Like