Rating the Sword and Sorcery protagonists

MST3K has tackled countless flavors of fantasy over the years, from 1960s Toga and Sandal Hercules films to odd, unsettling Mexican Santa Claus adventures.

I have a special fondness for the times they’ve tackled Sword & Sorcery…Ator, Cabot and DeathStalker’s outings.

Ator: Definitely the most competent hero of the lot. He would make Doc Savage, MacGuyver, the Black Panther, Batman, Reed Richards and Tom Swift weep with his swift gadgeteering skills. Seems also to be the most decent of the bunch, sometimes dubious fashion choices notwithstanding.

Cabot: Cabot! Cabot! Cabot? Cabot! Cabot…. Cabot?!? Cabot!

He’s…um….well, he’s physically fit and sometimes insanely lucky. I’ll give him that.

DeathStalker: He’s so repulsive I avoided Simon R. Green’s brilliant satirical Space Opera of the same name for years because I thought it was about this guy.

9 Likes

Obviously Gulfax is the best.

10 Likes

Sir George in The Magic Sword saved the princess with a little lotta help from his friends.

10 Likes

Here’s what I’d consider Sword & Sorcery episodes (some more swords & sandals but eh, close enough)

• Cave Dwellers (Ator)
  • Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (Desir)
  • all of the Hercules movies (Hercules)
  • The Magic Sword (George)
  • The Day the Earth Froze (Lemminkäinen)
  • Magic Voyage of Sinbad (he’s not Sinbad!)
  • Outlaw [of Gor] (Cabot!)
  • Colossus and the Headhunters (Maciste)
  • The Sword and the Dragon (Ilya)
  • Deathstalker and the Warrios from Hell (Deathstalker)
  • Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 (Simon) and 2 (Tyor)
  • Ator, the Fighting Eagle (Ator again, making a neat circle)

Having used all my time up making this list, I’ll have to come back later to rank heroes, but I can guarantee you that Deathstalker’s going to be dead last.

11 Likes

Ator can literally pull a hang glider out of his butt, so he’s definitely the best.

12 Likes

Let’s not forget the Christmas Dragon! Finn’s got his stand-up act going on.

12 Likes

Ator’s probably the best all around, which is kind of sad. Miles O’Keefe has more charisma than the others and seems to be a pretty cool guy.

We can’t really count the stock footage heroes from the Lost Kingdom movies, or he might have some competition. Estelle’s the source of heroic power in Magic Sword, but I suppose we can’t really count her, either. Deathstalker and his horrible princess are dead last, surprising no one.

9 Likes

She smells like Juicy Fruit.

6 Likes

I dunno, Tyor is right down there near Deathstalker. That kid’s got… Pretty much nothin’ goin for him aside from David Kerradine.

9 Likes

I’ve always thought of the Magic Sword as being traditional fairy tale type fantasy + some When Knights Were Bold lore.

5 Likes

rewritten in order of hero bestness…

GOOD

• TIE: The Sword and the Dragon (Ilya Morometz) and Cave Dwellers (Ator)
  • The Magic Sword (George)
    – docked one point for spying on the princess in the bath (WTF George)
  • Ator, the Fighting Eagle (Ator again, making a neat circle)
    – docked two points for marrying his sister
  • Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (Desir)
    – high rank for breaking ceilings along with spines

MEDIOCRE

• all of the Hercules movies (Hercules)
    – only because I’m too lazy to break them all out
  • Colossus and the Headhunters (Maciste)
    – too boring to even remember who this is
  • Magic Voyage of Sinbad (he’s not Sinbad!)
    – he’s NOT SINBAD

BAD

• Outlaw [of Gor] (Cabot!)
    – down here because it’s Watney – Watney! – who saves the good guys from execution, Cabot was just gonna get Ned Starked
  • The Day the Earth Froze (Lemminkäinen)
    – because he did not get the Sampo
  • Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 (Simon)
    – down here because he gets a magic ring and LOSES IT THE VERY NEXT MINUTE
  • Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 (Tyor)
    – because everything
  • Deathstalker and the Warrios from Hell (Deathstalker)
    – just the absolute WORST
11 Likes

The Toga and Sandal films I can’t decide on. They ostensibly are based on Greek myth (which itself was based on even more ancient myths) but they do seem to be at least partially informed by the 60s revival of interest in 1930s style pulp sword and sorcery fantasy. :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

As with the Magic Sword, the Russo Finnish protagonists feel like they belong to the much older, earlier fantasy tradition of fairy tales and folklore, though I will not deny there is much overlap here.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really tried to be as inclusive as possible, including pulling in some movies that aren’t quite S&S. I figured it would be a more interesting ranking with a wider range of movies, so I grabbed anything that fit the “swashbuckling hero goes on a quest in olden times” – so that’s why Day the Earth Froze and The Sword and the Dragon are here, but Jack Frost isn’t.
EDIT: Not to hijack your topic :slight_smile: Everyone else is welcome to ignore my toga additions!

4 Likes

I have to come to Deathstalker’s defense here; I actually made an alternative character for the current Pathfinder campaign that was going to be based on him… I was going to put almost all of his attribute points into charisma, and then skill dump into “smooth talking”…

edited for thread drift/ jack…

2 Likes

But there’s a sword and a sorcerer. That meets your thread topic criteria, IMO. :dagger:

6 Likes

While all Sword and Sorcery is fantasy, not all fantasy is Sword and Sorcery. Technically Conan, Snow White and Bilbo Baggins all have magic users and weaponry, but they have a distinct difference to the way these elements are approached. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Reminds me that I probably should watch that Maciste movie I suggested soon, since it’s on Tubi. Plus, I gotta know how many Fabio jokes it’ll lend itself to since this was his first credit.

5 Likes

Would you include any episodes other than the two Ators, Deathstalker ATWFH, and Outlaw of Gor? I feel like the Wizard of the Lost Kingdoms should be included, even if the “sword” is a mercenary tagalong instead of the main character.

6 Likes

In Blind Lemminkäinen’s defense, his abject failure did seem to make a whole bunch of very dour folks quite happy.

Also, he can surf on a log.

6 Likes