Reactions to the live show

Saw the San Diego show and was there for the backers’ meeting thing before the show. I enjoyed it a lot. Emily and Yvonne had an absolutely intimidating amount of energy on stage.

6 Likes

I was very impressed by MegaSynthia.
Yvonne danced The Charleston while rapid-fire spouting out a ton of 20s lingo- 'Nuff said!

9 Likes

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I really enjoyed the Time Bubble show I saw in Indianapolis and have to admit that I probably enjoyed it more than the two I saw on the previous tour with Joel. Emily has an energy that gives the between segments a different vibe that I like (more like a den mother to the robots than a father like Joel or brother like Mike, or friend like Jonah; I half-expect her to pull out a magic mirror from Romper Room to tell us who she sees). I hope she transports that over to her episodes.

This was the show where (if I remember correctly) Crow was voiced by someone else, making it a nearly all-female cast onstage. That didn’t change the dynamics at all, as it was still a great show, but interesting to mention.

I’ve always liked MegaSynthia and I do hope we get to see her in the new show as well. Frankly, people talk about trying to get the hosts all together, but I’m more interested in seeing all the mads get together in one room and trying to sort out their extended histories.

Being mostly deaf, I can’t say much about the audio at the show, and I do miss the crew not selling the script-books like they did during the Watch Out for Snakes tour which helped fill in the blanks for someone like me, but I wouldn’t be surprise if it was just not seen as a feasible product and may not have sold that well. I could pick up a few things, but would love to see some type of representation of the show being available at some point in the future for us to re-watch (and possibly with captioning). The general feel of the audience at the show was that they were laughing more than I had seen in some earlier tours, so that was a very good sign.

I did worry going in on how good the riffing would be in comparison to such a bleh movie, but they really pulled it off this time and I’m glad I got to see it. Makes me hopeful for the future and I look forward to the new season.

9 Likes

I went to the live show not knowing what to think. In the end I absolutely loved it. Everyone was amazing but I think Yvonne as Mega Cynthia stole the show with her voice. My only real complaint was the price of the merchandise. I settled on a $30 hat and when I got home and tried it on it was too small. I have a normal sized head and it fits my toddler better. Also they didn’t have any VIP shirts bigger than L so I didn’t get one. I did what was required to have one sent to me but I’m still waiting for it and the show I attended was in November. Bummed about that stuff but the performance was fantastic. Way to go guys! Can’t wait to see your episodes.

5 Likes

If they used the same t-shirt company as the first kickstarter, that L shirt would still be 2 sizes too small, as you discovered with the hat you thought would fit but didn’t actually.

1 Like

First off we loved the show. The dummy on the stairs had me in tears.

BUT, Crow with a female voice really threw me off. Nate voiced Tom instead. I don’t know what happened with Connor. This is only b/c I have watched Crow (who is my favorite) have a male voice for over 30 years. It didn’t make the show any less funny, but it was just jarring at times.

I highly recommend going to see this show if you can.

4 Likes

Conor was, per his IG, isolating after getting COVID. He has now thankfully recovered and rejoined the tour.

8 Likes

I’m just dropping in as someone who probably can’t reach a live show to remind that I’m really hoping there’s been a filmed performance ready to be on the Gizmoplex. Sure, it won’t bolster the offerings incredibly, but it’ll at least spice the selection up a little bit. Be the Hamilton of the service, be the SpongeBob musical, the Shrek the musical, the Come from Away of the Gizmoplex

4 Likes

I was really looking forward to seeing the live show here in Missoula, Montana on January 6. Unfortunately, it was cancelled due to a nasty winter storm that settled in the night before the show. I got a refund for my tickets, but it’s not going to be rescheduled which is a major bummer. This would’ve been the first time having anything related to MST3K in Montana. I know that there’s nothing we can do about the weather, but it still was a major letdown. On the plus side, my sister and brother-in-law got to see it in Seattle in December, and they loved it. I’m really looking forward to Season 13 and the Gizmoplex!!

7 Likes

Nate had to be absent for a while since he had a new baby! Crow was “exploring his feminine side” and voiced by the understudy who did a great job. I can’t remember her real name offhand(sorry!) but goes by @OneBradyLady on Instagram. She was impressive!
Connor had Covid at some point but is back.
I’m wondering if Nate Begle is the only person to ever voice both bots professionally??

8 Likes

J Elvis Weinstein actually voiced Crow a few times during the KTMA era, along with voicing Gypsum and Servo. Alot less script to recount for sure! Hats off to Nate !

I actually caught the show in OKC and it was great! :smile:

8 Likes

I have seen two of the live MST3K tours, the current one and the last one with Joel. I had a great time at each show because it is the experience of being at a live show with fellow MSTies that I am looking for. I want to have a good time and have some laughs with my family. If you are going into the tour expecting the same experience as watching old episodes at home–you are missing out on the joy of being at a live performance. Yeah, and being at a live show means that sometimes the live audio mix isn’t perfect. And it means sometimes there is a swing or an understudy performing a role because a cast member is ill. Tour life is hard and I think the cast and crew are doing an amazing job–especially in these weirdo pandemic times!

But anyway, as someone once said, “It’s just a show, I should really just relax.”

And if the merch gods are reading: Can we have some Emily inspired purple jumpsuit merch please?

11 Likes

I was at the Durham, NC show last night. The theater (Durham Performing Arts Center) has outstanding audio, so no problem there. I thought the riffing was excellent, the songs were terrific. The host segments were fine … Megasinthia seemed too over-the-top (but she has a fantastic voice!) … but not as strong as the rest.

As for Making Contact … whew! How did Roland Emmerich NOT get sued to oblivion for all the copyright infringements?

3 Likes

I went and I generally liked it. The only hitch was there was a blizzard and the sound went out and the curtain dropped during the final act but they rolled with it and it was kind of fun even.

I honestly didn’t see much difference between the TBT and previous MST outings. I thought perhaps it was a little too over the top right at the beginning but that was over fast enough and then it was all good stuff. I thought the riffs were pretty good and there was certainly no shortage of targets in this German rip-off repository.

5 Likes

My thought on MS as a Mad is that she wants to be evil but doesn’t know how. Like Emily and the bots would actually hang out with her and understand she’s just trying to make her way in life, and yeah, what a voice. Not quite but maybe a panto villain, central casting hit all the checkmarks. If she had a seson to develop her, I think Yvonne would find a good angle.

I think you have to give some leeway for sure around a ‘theatrical’ experience. This cast uh, they get theatrical, boy do they ever.

7 Likes

“This cast uh, they get theatrical, boy do they ever.”

Boy - that’s the truth. When they’re doing live streams, or between-show videos, or other stuff they are about the most “theater” of people I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

You may have a point about how Yvonne is trying to develop MegaSynthia. After all, her origin is…unusual. Pearl is just mean and Synthia is trying to take over (and kind of respects Jonah and the Bots since she’s been in two live tours). MS thinks if she’s louder than Pearl, that’s enough. She was smart to get unflattering pictures of the other Mads. If she was more like Clayton, or had a sidekick like Donna St. Phibes, she might be on to something.
Still, it’s early, and maybe one she gets on the Gizmoplex, it’ll get better

4 Likes

I saw the show and loved it.I loved Yvonne"s over the top performance Everyone was fantastic. Emily was great as the new host and the people doing the bots(can’t remember ,they had a substitution) were both great.

4 Likes

There’s rights issues involved there. Somewhere it was said performance rights weren’t the same as broadcasting rights. Stage rights were less and not as complicated as securing permission to film and make available publicly that said performance. Joel mentioned that awhile ago.

2 Likes

Yeah I think that’s kinda what hurts her, Emily was her sidekick in the Circus Tour, and now the Mad’s sidekick has advanced to Test Subject so there is a bit of a vacuum there… although Emily does still kinda play both roles at times.

That said, I think Yvonne does a great job with the character and I look forward to more of her!

3 Likes