Recasting That SUCKS!

I like Jeremy Renner, and I’ve always enjoyed his work, but he’s never going to be an action lead, he’s a great supporting role actor though.

Brian Dennehy styleeeeee

6 Likes

Isn’t Disney basing a streaming series around him? Hawkeye?

2 Likes

Yes. Coming out this month. For some reason.

1 Like

Ricardo Montalbán to Benedict Cumberbatch? Um… drugs?

4 Likes

Per a guy I know who’s a major film history guy, that’s not exactly what happened. Lazenby reportedly was offered the deal, but turned it down because he believed that his single Bond picture would be a springboard to bigger and better things. He was also a nightmare to deal with during filming; he’d demand to be transported by car everywhere, even to places that were less than 50 yards away, he’d send back studio cars if he didn’t like the color, he ate garlic before filming love scenes, and would refuse to shave or get a haircut before promotional appearances. Even Telly Savalas (Blofeld) took him aside at one point and asked him why he was acting like such a major *sshole. Then his actual performance was so wooden the editors had to do half of his lines. When the film didn’t perform as well as other Bond films to date, the studio turned Lazenby into the scapegoat and washed their hands of him. He later in life admitted that he’d completely blown his big chance.

There’s a series of blog posts by this person that gets into all the fun little details behind the films here:

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time thinking of one I hated. Maybe Jared Leto as the Joker or any time they use a dead person’s face in Star Wars. One recasting I actually really like was Moira Kelly as Donna in the Twin Peaks movie. She brought a kind of vulnerability to the role that I think was necessary for the movie.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a literal recasting, per se, more of a replacing, but getting George Hamilton to stand in for Robert Duvall for The Godfather Part III? Serious downgrade.

They should have just paid Duvall that Pacino money and maybe maybe maybe the finished product wouldn’t have been QUITE as iffy.

3 Likes

WOW! Good call, I never would’ve thought of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me! (Although I have the opposite view, I really missed Lara Flynn Boyle in TP:FWWM).

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s about the level he’s at, co-headlining a show named after his own character.

I’m really looking forward to that show, i loved the comics that they seem to be pulling from, so it’s gonna be a good time!

1 Like

I can agree with that. I think he does a great job in the supporting roles. If I had Disney+, I’d give the Hawkeye series a shot, but I’m not getting Disney+. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I presently have Disney +. I’m likely to try it.

1 Like

If you do, I’d love to know how it is.

1 Like

Anybody other than Brian Cox or Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter. Mads Mikkelsen? Almost there but not quite.

I thought it was surprisingly good and I’m not an especially big fan of Jeremy Renner. Disney+ has been pretty solid on original shows from what I’ve seen so far.

2 Likes

@FlyingSquid Their general quality is fairly high. I’ve not been disappointed by much I’ve seen there.

1 Like

I was OK with Jennifer Connelly for Patricia Neal, but Keanu for Michael Rennie is RIGHT OUT!

3 Likes

And the rest is history.

1 Like

And he wouldn’t have had to do that awful Tom Cruise movie from the same studio and year.

2 Likes

At least she did better with directing.
Happy Birthday GIF

2 Likes

Me too, but I’ve only seen him play Hawkeye.

My daughter doesn’t like him, for some visceral reason. I get that. I feel the same way about poor Ben Stiller.

2 Likes