Recommendations for other media MSTies might enjoy

I wanted to post this here because of Cinema Toast:

This show takes public domain film and dubs over it with a completely different story. That and some editing transforms the original. Also, it is very funny. At least what I have watched so far, which is the first episode. I need to see more, but I was impressed with the first one. The show gave me MST vibes, but it’s also something different.

So what shows, movies, books, games, etc would you recommend to your fellow MSTies as high quality stuff you think they would like?

3 Likes

So… like Kung Pow? I can dig it.

1 Like
1 Like

Yup, that’s the one. My favorite comedy, and my second favorite movie of all time!

WWWWEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1 Like

Mad Movies With the L.A. Connection. There are a bunch of episodes on YouTube. They took old movies and redubbed them with new funny dialogue. A good choice for MSTies.

4 Likes

That sounds a lot like Cinema Toast, only with (I assume) less Nick Offerman. I’ll check that out.

For books, Mike Nelson’s Movie Megacheese had me laughing until I cried. I love the way he skewers big dumb 90s action movies.

1 Like

What’s Up, Tiger Lily. Woody Allen dubbed over a goofy Japanese spy film to make a story about finding the world’s greatest egg salad recipe. Also includes an overly long gag of the projectionist stopping the film and having a tryst in the booth.

1 Like

I’ll put in a plug for The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001). It’s a pitch-perfect recreation / satire of B&W 50’s monster movies and is quite hilarious.

9 Likes

Dead Meat on YouTube recently started a new series called “They Talk” where they dub in what horror villains in masks are “really” saying, including a few songs and a lot of calling out the problems/inconsistencies etc

So far they have:
Jason just trying to get a date
Ghostface killing of people who were in bad movies
Predator is a party animal on Earth for a stag do
Dollface from Happy Deathday just trying to kill someone and get a good pun in for Freddy Krueger’s Pun Class

An added bonus - watch the opening song for a little call out to MST3K

2 Likes

And Lost Skeleton’s sequel, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again. Not quite as good (director Larry Blamire has a distaste for sequels in general, and only did the film because he found the idea of the first film’s lunkhead scientist hero becoming a bitter drunk so hilarious) but it has its own charms.

2 Likes

I would highly recommend “Look Around You” from England. Extremely absurd but subtle. Pretty much anything Peter Serafinowicz has written is great.

3 Likes

The podcast “Hello From the Magic Tavern.” Fun improv comedy and several of the MST3K cast are recurring characters.

2 Likes

Whaaaat!? I’ve been listening for a while but I just not have gotten that far… Other than Felicia Day. I did hear her on an episode.

1 Like

Freaks and Geeks. Not so much because it’s a similar sense of humor or subject matter, but it did have J. Elvis Weinstein on the production team, and Joel and Trace had recurring guest roles. Plus, it’s just awesome in its own right and deserved to last so much longer.

3 Likes

If you want something along the lines of riffing, I’m personally a big fan of Snapcube’s Real Time Fandub Games on Youtube! As the title implies, they’re dubbing over other media (mostly video games) but it invokes a lot of the energy of mst3k that pokes fun at the source material, at least to me. Fair warning though, since it’s just friends goofing off on youtube they get much more vulgar and raunchier than mst ever does so do take care if thats something you’d rather avoid.

2 Likes

When it comes to bad movies, RedLetterMedia is right up there!

For quirky, off the wall kind of humor, Victor Borge. Lots of clips of his work on YouTube.

For something a bit more obscure but a great source of classic comedy, look for The Goon Show. It’s an old time radio show of classic British comedy. These guys were the inspiration for Monty Python!

4 Likes

I actually thought Dark And Stormy Night, the Blamire ensemble’s old dark house film was stronger than the sequel to Lost Skeleton. But the original Lost Skeleton is a must-watch!

1 Like

YES. The Lost Skeleton is PURE GOLD.

So many quotes have made their way into my communications with my youngest brother… “I’m so full I can barely do science.” “Aliens? Is this one of your Earth jokes?” “I sleep now.”

I also remember that Animala is half woman, half five different forest creatures.

The first movie that riffs itself.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned RLM a few times and I think they really hit the more vulgar vein of MST3K fandom.

1 Like