Record Stores We Know and Love

I worked in a small record store in college and a very, very, very large one for the six, seven years post college in an effort to delay adulthood. Mission accomplished.

That was six or seven years that I’d trade for hardly anything…a colorful cast of regular customers, an even more colorful staff of 30-40 with everyone hooking up with everyone (it must have been a bit like being in Fleetwood Mac), numerous famous musicians passing through, guest lists for hundreds and hundreds of shows, a bomb scare, a tornado, a lot of drunken shenanigans and oh so much more than I can probably remember.

Would definitely recommend.

11 Likes

This was the place. Later swallowed up by Cavages, I think.

5 Likes

Believe it or not, there are two record stores here in Terre Haute, Indiana. Not sure why. One has been around since the 70s.

2 Likes

Our local. There’s a sister store in Baltimore, but no others.

6 Likes

Since we’re sharing pictures of our local record stores…

7 Likes

We can do that here, right? This is ok?

One from the next city up I90. Especially funky, but very small.

5 Likes

“We now carry guitars”

SCORE

3 Likes

But not drums, because they’re heavy, you’re on your own.

6 Likes

Our local store

3 Likes

There some used record shops in Delaware County PA but they are all a pain to get to and have little or no parking nearby. I just don’t have it in me these days to drive half an hour and then spend another half an hour driving around in circles to find a parking space just to look through old records. When I upgraded my turntable in the living room I did to to the 2 that had tiny parking lots and managed to in, but didn’t find much I wanted to buy. Made the trek over to The Record Museum in Berlin NJ and that place had a lot but it’s a long drive so haven’t been back.

2 Likes

I don’t live there anymore, but Grimey’s in Nashville is the real deal.

2 Likes

Rhino in where I grew up in Claremont,CA is no more, sadly. They moved to Montclair but it’s not the same in a number of ways.

1 Like

Yeah vintage, vinyl stores are still out there. We have a couple here and that seems to be a thing that people are into (so that’s cool)

But the days of Tower, etc, for new releases are fading. Best Buy dropped their CD section, Wal-Marts is pretty sad and not even worth bothering with. B&N still have a section, maybe I can try them… but how obscure or odd is their selection, do they just carry the bigger names, the Taylor Swift’s, etc. Can I find acts on small or indie labels there?

Back in the day I enjoyed this locally owned shop we had, they carried imports that weren’t available in the States and all the weird stuff. That’s where I could find early Devo, Mi-Sex, The Dickies, The Brains…

Every Friday I’d pick up my paycheck, then go to the comic book shop (in the years before Wednesday releases), then head over to Strawberry Jams and spend a good hour there poring through the racks, talking to the owner and clerks (who were all very cool). Wish I’d thought to take pictures of the place.

(as an aside - we don’t have an FYE here, so I don’t know what they carry)

4 Likes

Bull Moose is a pretty great little ME/NH regional chain, recently sold to its employees.

3 Likes

My town still has one record shop, but not for long. The Record Man will shut down soon, as the entire block it’s on is being redeveloped.

It also has an AMAZING website. Travel back in time to… http://www.recordman.com/

5 Likes

I heard that Ernest Tubbs closed its doors. I only poked my head in there a time or two, but driving or walking past that sign, seeing that lit up guitar… Broadway won’t be the same without it.

3 Likes

Oh wow … I hadn’t heard, but I’m not surprised. Nashville has changed quite a bit in the 5 years I’ve been gone, and I’m happy not to be there to see most of it.

3 Likes

I used to work near there! Only been there a couple of times, but bought stuff every time I went inside.

I have been to a couple record stores in the DMV, but most of my record purchases have been via Discogs the last few years. When I went to record stores regularly, I was still living in St. Louis. My favorites there are Vintage Vinyl and Planet Score.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, I’m with you there. When I heard about the Exit/In closing and the possibility of that area being knocked down by land developers, my heart sank. I about lived at that place, and so wanted to play there (never did, I played at their sister site, “The End” and I helped pack the place, so I hoped that would translate into getting a gig there, but a year later I was gone, left town)

I just looked and it sounds like they are trying to save it as a historical landmark.

3 Likes

I’m so glad I moved back home and I can go back to my favorite record store.
IMG_5644

(Not me in the photo)

4 Likes