Remakes that (believe it or not) are good?

I enjoyed the Coen bros. True Grit better than the original. It had me laughing at almost everyone’s dialogue.

4 Likes

Yeah, but only barely (and that’s a low bar to trip over).

2 Likes

Totally!

1 Like

Totally agree that Little Shop of Horrors and The Blob came out the other side of the EasyBakeRemake Oven® better than they went in.

8 Likes

John Carpenter’s The Thing and David Cronenberg’s The Fly are both remakes and both among my absolute favorite movies. I adore them both.

Admittedly I haven’t seen the original The Thing from Another World but I am fond of the original The Fly. You can put Vincent Price in just about anything and I’ll watch it and enjoy it. It was very interesting to see that the original had this mystery angle going on. And also the design of the original fly/human hybrid is iconic… but I have an action figure of Brundlefly and not the original Fly monster. Maybe one day…

9 Likes

Brewster’s Millions has been made a half-dozen times, but I think the version with Richard Pryor is the best.

5 Likes

Good call. It’s got John Candy, and I’m not about to make a case for another movie that doesn’t have John Candy.

5 Likes

Dr Who And The Daleks / Dalek Invasion Of Earth are both perfectly cromulent remakes of early Doctor Who stories.

3 Likes

My personal favourite of all the various Dalek designs

Reckon the fella at the back is having a ‘whoops…wrong door’ moment.

6 Likes

I think True Grit is the gold standard of remakes. Far superior in every way except Strother Martin and the delivery of that one exchange “I mean to kill you in one minute, etc.” Hard to believe Robert Duvall didn’t play a bigger role.

5 Likes

The classic Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart was a remake of two film versions, both of which pale in comparison.

6 Likes

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a very entertaining movie which was a remake of a so-so movie called Bedtime Story.

6 Likes

When judging Corman movies, one must consider entertainment value per dollar spent. Not that it’s possible, but sometimes it’s fun to just consider his audacity. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dalek6388 may be of interest to you in that case!

3 Likes

Yes, on initial inspection I would say this is very relevant to my interests. Thanks!

3 Likes

Having seen both, I can objectively say that, while it has its issues, not the least of which is some weird casting (Tony Shaloub and Matthew Lillard? Really?), the remake of William Castle’s 13 Ghosts is far and away the superior version. The original is just… what’s the word I’m looking for… insipid. Plus, the effects are, even for the time, utterly laughable.

In contrast, the remake has a much more interesting premise for the Ghosts, and they are objectively a thousand percent more terrifying than the ghosts in the original film. Elements of the original (the “ghost glasses”, for example) that were useful were retained and anything else thrown out. While the movie does suffer from some major issues and was largely panned upon its release, I personally view it as objectively better than the original.

6 Likes

I enjoyed it, but the whole backstory with Wonka’s family just felt like unneeded padding. I guess I’d call this one a tie. Both have their pros and cons.

3 Likes

I liked the remake of Ghostbusters. There. I said it.

Was it the greatest thing ever? No. But a sweet, diverting popcorn flick just the same. I have a mind to celebrate Halloween by watching the two versions back to back. For the kicks.

9 Likes

I completely agree, I liked that remake, and would loved to have seem more of it, I remember the DVD had all the stories of the trapped ghosts.

5 Likes

“Ghostbusters Answer The Call” was fine, good, and fun.

It’s not as good as Ghostbusters, which is my all-time favorite movie, it’s still good!

6 Likes