Repeat to Yourself “It’s Just a Show”: The Best and Bizarrest Host Segments

Like it says in the title, what do you think are the best and/or most bizarre host segments in the history of MST3K?

2 Likes

The skeleton from Teenagers from Outer Space. It actually kind of comes off like the prop just really did fall apart unexpectedly during shooting and they decided to roll with it, because otherwise I honestly have no clue why you’d even write something like this.

4 Likes

The Prince of Space episode has two of my all-time favorite host segments- Crow and Servo playing “Dog and Bear” and when everyone is out of temporal sync with each other. The writing in both is really creative, clever, funny, and dare I say a bit bizarre. Honorable mention also goes to the sylvan glen.

“I may need a Kleenex!”
“… You’re fine.”

7 Likes

The Llama

6 Likes

For reasons I can’t articulate, I am amused by the final skit of Teenage Caveman and Tom and Crow mocking the narration of the end of the movie with their own ponderous proclamations, punctuated with “Aye!”

1 Like

There are a few I really dig. For some reason, Mike fine-tuning his sound system whilst listening to the “Creeping Terror” dance music just kills me. It’s so absurd.

I do like the “Renaissance Fair Punching Bags”, possibly because I first saw it around the first and only time I ever went to a Ren Fair.

The post-movie meltdown that the bots have in “Monster A-Go-go” is pretty quality as well. Once a friend made me a VHS tape of just host segments, and I watched that thing over and over. Some are so good.

2 Likes

This one is one of strangest but very accurate to its source material.

And my all time favorite sketch is A bold choice.

2 Likes

Should this topic be merged with this other one?

3 Likes

I’m very impressed by how Mike doesn’t blink once for the whole shot.

4 Likes

“Sample my fist, you community theater reject!” We used to quote that any time we heard a Ren Fair reference.

2 Likes

I thought ‘Alas, poor who?’ from Hamlet was trying WAY too hard, trying to be too clever and not very funny.

2 Likes

The Orville Popcorn sketch from Godzilla Vs. Megalon is at once one of the best and most bizarre host segments.

It has nothing to do with the movie or any of the characters or anything, it goes to insane extremes, and above all else, it’s a gem of a sketch.

4 Likes

how about Servo occasionally doing hit and run, like in Zombie Nightmare

2 Likes

Live from New York, it’s the torpedo sketch!

2 Likes

Robert Smith in 803-The Mole People. He doesn’t talk ( he doesn’t need to!) He’s still one of my favorite NFL players because he was on Mst. If I’m not mistaken, he was the only real guest star. At least until season 11.

2 Likes

Possibly the funniest gag in the Sci-Fi era.

4 Likes

The out-of-time-sync segment from Prince of Space, and ‘A Joke by Ingmar Bergman’ from The Sword and the Dragon. Absolute masterpieces, both.

4 Likes