Replies in Weird Places

So, toddling around the forum and I seeing that threads are getting hard to read as replies seem to appear under the post they are replying to, but also as free comments in the thread not associated with the post in question. Am I seeing that right? Is there a way to specify in the setting somewhere that replies appear as child posts under the parent post?

10 Likes

It looks like a combination of “Discord style” replies (which link to the original ‘post’ but show up in chronological order) and “threaded” replies (where the replies appears as a branch off of the original post)

2 Likes

It’s a little confusing, I agree. I brought up the same thing in this thread:

Welcome to the “Forum Feedback” Forum!

2 Likes

I agree it can be hard to read the replies given how they are added to the thread.

Also, when replying to a post, the screen scrolls to your new post, but I don’t see any way to get directly back to the post to which I was replying. It would be great to be able to get right back to the place in the thread where I was reading before making a reply.

1 Like

On the mobile “app” I often get a back button after I follow a reply link up which helpfully returns me to where I was. I don’t think I have seen that link appear on the web.

2 Likes

Since I did not note it earlier, I am using Chrome on a Macbook Pro.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I actually do see the up arrow that takes you to the post now. You have to expand the post in your post first, then the arrow appears, that is likely why I did not notice it before.

3 Likes

I used to belong to another forum where when you clicked on “reply” on someone’s post it auto-quoted the previous post so it was clear what you were replying to. I think something like that would be ideal in this situation.

4 Likes

Yes, that would probably help a lot. Not sure if it’s something this forum software can do or not, but worth @Lesley or @ivan looking into.

3 Likes

You can also highlight a portion (or all) of a post, and you’ll see the word

"Quote

show up at the top. Click on that ("Quote) and it takes you right to the reply box. (and it looks like this post)

3 Likes

That adds an unnecessary step, IMO, when it’d be much simpler to have it happen automatically if you click “Reply” on the post.

2 Likes

Agree on the automatically quoting the post replied to. Or at least having Quote as a second button next to Reply, as some forums do. Leaving out the quote initially seems fine when you see that it’s nesting replies, but then it turns out that your post is also floating down at the end of the thread with no context.

5 Likes

I do prefer the “Quote” style of replying. I do wish these forums were threaded style with the replies indented below the person they are replying too by default. But it’s not that huge of a deal imo.

5 Likes

Agree with you @Brina

1 Like

I wasn’t advocating one or the other, I was just trying to help out. But it really isn’t that big a deal, a snap of a finger, that’s all the time it took. So if it’s an extra step, it’s a minor and quick one.

1 Like

I see that too and I agree it’s very weird to see a reply right under the original comment, then see it again further down. One or the other please (and preferably the former).

2 Likes

How is the app? It doesn’t have great reviews.

1 Like

I like it just fine. It’s almost the same experience as looking at the website in mobile chrome, but I get notifications/alerts about replies and such. Well, sometimes, anyway. Those seem to come and go. They aren’t implemented terribly well. If nothing else, you can get to the forum in the app in a single tap.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

If you’re reading this reply, I have (possibly) successfully created a Greasemonkey script that bashes this Discourse forum into something more Reddit-like. The styling is probably over the top. I used MacOS 8 during my formative years, and never fully recovered. If you know any JS/CSS it should be easy to tweak, or I can make a toned-down version if anyone is interested.

If you’re new to Greasemonkey, note that it can be dangerous to use other peoples’ scripts, due to malice, incompetence, or both. One should review such code before using it. I can promise benevolence on my part, but not competence.

Greasemonkey Code:

Screenshot:

1 Like