Restaurants

For regional places, I was all about Lamppost Pizza. Played the hell out of TMNT and Simpsons video games there.

2 Likes

They had lampshades just like Pizza Hut’s. I remember it being a touch classier than Pizza Hut in the 80s and 90s. Darkened room, bar-like atmosphere, yet it was a family restaurant. I wish there were still a few in Northern Indiana where I live. Once I took a friend who recalls them to Deer Creek to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and there was one in Fishers, IN and I wonder if that’s there today. It was as we thought it would be. Good, irresistible, and familiar.

3 Likes

My favorite restaurant has been in a lot of MST movies. It’s called “EAT”.

4 Likes

I miss Sizzler. The steaks were always delicious and I LOVED the baked potatoes.
One local restaurant that’s lasted for decades is a Tex-Mex place that was originally called Christopher’s Nothing Fancy. It was sold to an Iranian couple who kept the name and the menu for many years. Then just a couple of years ago it was sold to a different Iranian family who changed the name to Syma’s, kept the Tex-Mex items, and added some Persian ones. They also added some Persian pantry items (falafel mix and the like) during the first year of COVID. And Iran’s greatest gift to cuisine, pistachio ice cream sandwiches.

2 Likes

I definitely miss Chi-Chi’s and upscale Pizza Hut.

2 Likes

Arnold’s on Cape Cod.

It’s still there, but I haven’t been there probably since the last century. Best fried clams in the world.

2 Likes

Red’s in Ithaca. If the Cubano is on the menu, gimme gimmers.

4 Likes

Simeon’s is a great place in Ithaca… haven’t been there since The Accident. Also the Moosewood if they have something good on the menu. (I’m not a vegetarian.)

2 Likes

This overpriced and overrated lobster roll joint has been snarling Rt1 traffic in Wiscassett, Maine since I was a kid, and I’d like it bulldozed into the river, please.

1 Like

Is it popular? The picture would suggest it.

1 Like

Yes, with the gringos. It can add 30-40 minutes to the Rt.1 crawl on a bad day.

1 Like

It had no connection. And you can’t copyright a name. You can trademark it, but I guess they didn’t trademark it.

2 Likes

Not to the best of my knowledge :smiley: This is (was?) one of the many 24 hour diners, largely run by Greek families, that populate the NY/NJ area. We don’t have anything comparable here in California.

We have a Sizzler in my town! No idea if the steak is any good, I only go for the AYCE salad bar.

Oh that’s another good one!

I’m looking forward to the re-opening of Casa Bonita. My mom promised she’ll take me!

3 Likes

I do too. They were a fancier joint than Ponderosa and the steak and baked potatoes were a staple in my younger years. My stepfather loved to take us there. To this day I quote that “All-You-Can-Eat Barbecue Rib Night at The Sizzler?” joke from Ghostbusters II (1989).

2 Likes

“Wait a minute. Can I have one try? All-You-Can-Eat Barbecue Rib Night at The Sizzler?”

2 Likes

Chi-Chi’s I miss profusely. My dad would drive me there. We bonded eating their mexican and the fried ice cream. The mood was robust and it felt like a fiesta every time.

2 Likes

The whole friggin’ city is eagerly awaiting the reopening of Casa Bonita. :rofl: There was an article in the paper today talking to the chief of police for Lakewood (that’s where the restaurant is located, not Denver) about how they plan to deal with the traffic and anticipated parking snarls.

They are planning to soft open with a lottery. You have to be on their mailing list to be “entered” and they expect to feed~500 people a night that way for the first couple of weeks. (For those curious, the space can hold about 1200 people.)

We’ll go probably sometime in the fall (assuming it opens in the next few weeks as planned) Let the lookie-loos have their shot and give the staff time to get run in a bit.

3 Likes

You may be interested in…

4 Likes

Valuable nostalgia. I imagine you could buy anything.

1 Like

Yeah I joined the mailing list but I agree with you – wait for the initial crush to pass (assuming it does so within, say, a year). I’ll be in the area in December anyway.

Not at that price I’m not! :eyes:

2 Likes