Restored and remastered movies from episodes

Hello everyone! I was surprised to find out that one of my favorite episodes, Eegah! had gotten a restored special edition. I know that there is a current trend of restoring and remastering everything, so I wondered if there were more movies that had gotten the treatment? Or if there was any movie that you would like to be restored?

3 Likes

You’ve probably encountered the restored Manos by now. And I just got this in the mail.

Personally I want a lot of the old B&W titles to get nice restoration releases - The Crawling Eye, The Screaming Skull, and Tormented would be a good start.

4 Likes

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/this-island-earth?product_id=7087

This is one I enjoy unriffed, and it looks great!

3 Likes

Had honestly forgotten that Manos got restored. I am vaguely aware that there are a lot of sequels and other content, but haven’t dug into it much.

I agree on the B&W restoration. Seeing the eye monster in high quality would be a treat

4 Likes

Oh my yes! There are several, and I’d love to see even more. Of course Shout Factory’s been releasing the old 50’s sci-fi movies on blu-ray (Deadly Mantis, The Mole People…) as well as some of the Arkoff titles like War of the Colossal Beast and Earth vs. the Spider, but more surprising are some of the more obscure titles that are coming out restored, like “Hercules and the Captive Women,” and this…

I’ve been collecting the “UnMSTied” versions of the movies for a long time, and have managed to find nearly every title in some form or other, but always looking for upgrades. Really the only title I cannot find is that German version of Hamlet. Anyone got any leads on that title?

4 Likes

There’s actually a lot of titles that never made the leap from VHS to DVD or Blu - we could all go on and on about the Arkoff titles held by Susan Hart. Beyond that, I’d love to see “The Human Duplicators,” “Operation Double 007,” and “Agent for H.A.R.M.”

4 Likes

The Day Time Ended is an excellent choice to upgrade. Might have to check this one out…

3 Likes

Just like the floors.

2 Likes

Gamera had eras?!? Wow. I did not know that.

3 Likes

RUSCICO has done some nice restorations for Ilya Muromets (Sword and the Dragon) and Sadko (Magic Voyage of Sinbad)

There was a Finnish release for Sampo (Day the Earth Froze) in 2014, but I’ve not had the opportunity to see that one.

I have seen Jack Frost (Father Frost/Morozko) in the past, and that had a pretty looking print.

1 Like

Yes indeed. The Heisei era Gamera films are a different beast, and quite excellent kaiju films. Some of us reckon them among the best of the genre.

2 Likes

A few years ago, when the Manos restoration was underway (or thereabouts), someone else had a Kickstarter to restore The Atomic Brain:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manos/the-atomic-brain-4k-restoration/

It looks to have been successful, I’d like to see this version at some point.

1 Like

Seeing Hamlet mentioned in the Kickstarter got me excited, but it seems to be a standard definition version. Still exciting that someone dug up the unedited version

1 Like