Riff topics that surprised you in Season 13?

What riffs from this season have made you go WHOA THEY WORKED IN THAT FILM / SONG / PERSON / EVENT ?!

All caps and big tags not necessary.

5 Likes

I screamed and screamed and screamed about The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters “Kill Screen” reference in Beyond Atlantis.

9 Likes

I am very much enjoying frequent references to They Might Be Giants.

11 Likes

Straying a little off the path, Rifftrax did one that slayed me, it referenced an event, from the 70s, that I knew due to living in the overall region at the time, but it was so out of the blue and surprising that I laughed my head off and thought. “where the heck did Rifftrax learn of Oregon’s exploding whale? And be familiar with it enough to use it as a riff?”

But MST, hmm, have they hit me like that, yet? The Eastern Promises line in Munchie might qualify, maybe not as obscure or regional a joke, but very clever.

8 Likes

I think Court Case had the first Maxipad riff. Blindsided me, but it was funny.

9 Likes

In Doctor Mordrid, there was a reference to the 1982 animated TV movie The Snowman, and I accordingly freaked the hell OUT, because I love it so.

9 Likes

“I was just checking my emails!” Snrk.

5 Likes

The delivery of that was perfect. I screamed as one would.

2 Likes

Servo’s sudden burst into a song from Cats in Mordrid really had me laughing yesterday.

Also: Communist Manifest-Stone.

5 Likes

There have been a ton. As I said in the episode thread, Mordrid alone was full of riffs from my childhood that made me feel that way. MC Skat Kat was perfect and really made me laugh, but that video was a flash in the pan. It was everywhere for a few months (three different pairs of girls danced to that song in the school talent show, and there were only a dozen kids in my entire grade) but then everyone moved on.

4 Likes

It made the national news for several days. As did the Rajneeshees, somewhat later. :dizzy_face: I know because I heard of both things before I ever lived out here.

That’s such an engrained part of pop culture in Britain that I didn’t think twice about it at the time. It was slipped in perfectly, just the way a native Brit would. Another related hobby is watching Aled Jones (the singer) seethe in silent fury any time someone mentions it around him.

4 Likes

I freaked out at the Spider reference in Robot Wars. I expect references to Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, Boss of Me… But a reference to a lesser known song really had me excited.

(PS. Send healing rays to Flansy as he was in a terrible car accident and is recovering from seven broken ribs in the hospital. :heart:)

8 Likes

Kevin would have been 14, Bill 10, Mike 6… I think their other writers are younger than them. So yeah, they were old enough to have seen it if it went national.

2 Likes

EPCOT Soarin’ !

(Finally watching Doctor Mordred. Bully’s looking for Jack Kirby credits)

Edited to add: Thread topic inspired by Jonah & the Bots singing ‘We can be happy underground

5 Likes

To backtrack just a bit, I practically scream-laughed at Jonah’s “Master P, NO!” over the tank getting destroyed in Robot Wars.

Master P getting name-checked in MST3K. Wild, no?

3 Likes

That was such a bizarre thing that it definitely went national and still pops up now and then with people sharing YouTube video of local new stories about it. Dave Barry even wrote a column about it years after it happened (but well before YouTube existed for people to see the video) because someone sent him a VHS copy of the local news story.

Heck, it has its own website: The Exploding Whale

3 Likes

Crazy.

Still, I think it’s the first time I heard it used as a riff. So, it surprised and delighted me.

“We love you spider”

3 Likes

THIS! I was just…wuh…

1 Like