Riffs that haven't aged well

Yeah. I find it more useful now, as a mere lurker, than I ever did as a participant. It holds out the promise of customization and positive rapport. Then the algorithim does everything it can to steer you towards people and things you hate, while hiding your favorites from you. Because hate gets mega-clicks and haters get the most clout. What’s funniest: one of my first interactions on there was with Corbett and it was great. I should’ve just chalked up a “win” that day, logged off, and never returned. :wink:

5 Likes

I agree with you totally. I’m gay, also, and have never shrieked in horror at a woman’s “hinder,”

5 Likes

“-misia” would be more appropriate suffix but it hasn’t really entered the cultural lexicon yet.

And I’m not saying that the writers are actually hateful or bigots, but weight jokes (directed at other people*) don’t have a place in society anymore. Men can suffer from body image issues just like women.

Same for the older queer-centric jokes. None of the ones I’ve come across are particularly egregious imho (except maybe the ones in TISCHSLABMUZ) but they certainly wouldn’t fly now. I understand they’re a product of the era they were made in so I can move past them.

But it’s good to look back at things, especially things you love, with a critical eye.

(*I’m all for joking about yourself. It can be cathartic.)

5 Likes

Ache twitter

8 Likes

Mind you, without the fat jokes, the riffing on Mitchell and Final Justice would be substantially different.

3 Likes

One reason I’d love to see them riff on 1977’s The Pack (killer feral dogs --not pretend giant shrews-- on a resort island) is that JDB’s pretty slim and athletic there. They’d have to actually think hard to come up with riffs about him. :smiley:

2 Likes

How about chin jokes when Robert Z’Dar appears? Or the shocked reactions to Arch Hall Jr’s terrifyingly intense face?

1 Like

The Z’Dar jokes do bother me, the man can’t help his bone structure.

I think of the Arch Hall Jr “sorry about my face” jokes more in terms of the perpetually dumb/squinty expression he has on his face, which is okay. You’re supposed to be acting, stop scrunching your face up all the time!

3 Likes

Joel apologized to him later on, and I think they started ribbing each other about it, to the point where Arch hit him in the face with a pie at a convention. (Though that last part may be an urban legend.)

4 Likes

Joel meets Arch Hall Jr.

4 Likes

Overall, Arch is an interesting guy. Just NEVER try and read his fiction. o_0

1 Like

Your spelling for TISCWSLABMUZ threw me and sent me on a search to understand what you were referencing.

I am not as much of as a fan as I thought I was.

4 Likes

On the flip side, there’s a Joe Biden joke in Santa Claus Conquers the Martians joke which at the time, being a callow middle schooler, I didn’t really get because I didn’t really know any Senators. I appreciate the joke a lot more now.

3 Likes

First Spaceship on Venus has the line “What do you think of Roseanne Barr singing the National Anthem?”, which has become incredibly awkward since not only did that incident (which was really more about her grabbing her crotch than the singing itself) quickly fade from most people’s memories, but it now looks like EXTREMELY small potatoes next to certain other controversies surrounding her.

For a more recent one, “Why do you dress like John Lasseter?” from Yongary now has a subtext they never could have anticipated.

6 Likes

As does, ‘I named you after Donald Trump’ in Pod People.

5 Likes

For one without any discomfort involved, it struck me during the livestream of Code Name: Diamond Head that it’s now really awkward how the episode keeps incessantly pounding that one joke about Ian McShane having played Lovejoy, since that was the one big role he was really well known for at the time, when he’s now more likely to be recognized for Deadwood, The Pillars of the Earth, or even that one episode of Game of Thrones.

3 Likes

Also, John Wick.

I admire that Ian McShane is always one of those actors who’s always working. Partly because it’s a good work ethos, but also because with a record like that, you’re gonna get a lot of Code Name Diamond Head-level movies on your CV

3 Likes

I was surprised that Lovejoy was a reference with any currency at all in the States, tbh. He’ll always be Lovejoy to me, just like Sean Bean will always be Sharpe. Not out of affection for either series, I should add.

1 Like

Lovejoy used to be shown on the A&E TV network here in the U.S. and there were endless promos for it.

5 Likes

Well on behalf of the whole UK……you’re welcome?

4 Likes