RiffTrax

I figured there should be a RiffTrax thread here.

33 Likes

It’s a good thing those gentlemen aren’t trying to make a living by fishing.

And not a single one of them purified himself in the waters of that lake.

10 Likes

They’re already pure as the falling snow, so no need. :wink:

As a side not, my quest to own their catalog is coming along nicely. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

So far I’ve seen their “House On Haunted Hill”, “Plan 9 from Outer Space”, “Double Dragon”, and the MST Reunion.
I love hearing their voices- especially Kevin Murphy’s.

11 Likes

Don’t forget to check out some of the movies/shorts that Mary Jo and Bridget have done together, too!

16 Likes

You have to watch the live recording of Jack the Giant Killer. It’s pure hilarity. I can also highly recommend The Last Shark, Giant from the Unknown, Rats: Night of Terror, Ghosthouse, Birdemic: Shock and Terror actually, watch Birdemic first. There are a LOT of things in Birdemic they reference in later riffs.

13 Likes

RiffTrax Live: Hobgoblins Fathom Event tickets are on sale!

10 Likes

I tried a couple of their riffs. For some reason I can’t explain, it’s just not the same, I don’t like it.

I think maybe its because it’s them “unleashed”. MST3K was always kind of “family friendly”, poking fun at cheesy movies, while still having a feeling of somewhat admiring the earnestness of the filmmakers, as bad as they were. There was a certain amount of respect there.

The Rifftraxx that I tried were just plain mean spirited. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel a different tone, and I don’t like it.

10 Likes

For me, it depends on the individual riff. They have a different set of writers, obviously, so you’ll definitely get a bit of a different mix. I’ve heard some “meaner” riffs, but nothing that’s movie long. Of course, I may not have seen what you’ve seen. Granted, some have curse words, but that in-and-of-itself is “neither here nor there” for me, as it’s language not content.

Several of the Rifftrax riffs air on MST3K’s Twitch channel because they generally hit that family-friendly-ish threshold, including…

• Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe
  • Breaker! Breaker!
  • Hillbillies in a Haunted House
  • Icebreaker
  • Jack the Giant Killer
  • Miami Connection
  • Prisoners of the Lost Universe
  • Samurai Cop
  • Wonder Women
  • Zindy the Swamp Boy

I’d also personally recommend any of the Mary Jo & Bridget riffs, as they don’t go “mean”. Especially…

• Angels’ Revenge
  • Bride of the Gorilla
  • Cat-Women of the Moon
  • Junior Prom
  • Rescue Me
  • She-Demons
  • …and a ton of their Shorts.

Which riffs came of as too harsh to you, @Ansible ?

15 Likes

If you think Rifftrax is too mean, definitely don’t watch the British guys Matthew and Ian, that Rifftrax offers. Personally, I think they are hilarious, but I can definitely see how some people would be offended.

3 Likes

I LOVE Superargo and the Faceless Giants:

Imagine Sampson (the Silver Maskman) but in color and with mad science instead of vampires. But he has a nice car and can wrestle reasonably well. Oh, and Superargo has a sidekick.

6 Likes

Check out their Twilight riffs, they are amazing.

7 Likes

RiffTrax 15th Birthday Twilight Watch-Along on Scener!

https://fb.me/e/3HHk9Cy01

Twilight

Get/steal a subscription to Netflix or find a copy of Twilight by July 20th.

2 Likes

RiffTRax have recently been releasing free complete content on their YouTube channel, including a couple of movies, namely Birdemic and Miami Connection.
A great chance to try before you buy. Also, they are useful links you can send to friends that you think would like RiffTrax if they tried it.

14 Likes

It’s not just you. I have a few Rifftrax VODs, and watch them rarely. I do think their Live shows are more fun and watch them significantly more frequently.

7 Likes

There’s also a load of free episodes on Tubi, along with a lot of MST3K.

4 Likes

Tubi used to be available in the UK/Europe, but they ran into copyright problems. You can get by that with a VPN, but not everybody’s going to want to bother with all that.

2 Likes

think they go more harsh more than mean…
don’t understand how their riffs aren’t more popular

3 Likes

I personally don’t think it’s mean, it’s just British humor. But, I can see how some people could see it as mean, and if Ansible already thinks Mike, Bill and Kevin’s riffs are mean, he’d definitely think Ian and Matthew’s are =)

1 Like

This has become one of my favorites, and I’ve actually come to really like the film’s jazz score.

3 Likes