RiffTrax

Personally I LOVED their Star Wars rifftrax.

The Harry Potter series has some side splitters
Inception is quite good
Starship Troopers had me crying laughing when I saw it in theaters
They kicked the new TMNT Movie square in the butt and made it watchable for me, an old-school TMNT fan.
The Matrix Trilogy was also phenomenal
I almost prefer LoTR Rifftrax to the original

Now with that all said, I was surprised at how “savage” Kevin would get about his distaste for some things in Star Wars, The Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory Rifftrax wasn’t great, almost terrible as were several other ones I sat through (Over the Top with Stallone hurt)

2 Likes

I’ve mostly stopped buying Rifftrax releases except for the Bridget & Mary Jo titles. The staff writers on the main releases are frankly not very good and there is a lot of phoning-it-in. Also a preponderance of “this is happening on the screen and I am going to narrate the premise of the joke to you now”.

Bill is funny as hell when off the leash and writing his own material, and I hope he provides Joel’s Crow (and J. Elvis his Servo). But I haven’t seen many Rifftrax releases lately that amused me like Carnival Of Souls, House On Haunted Hill, or even Abraxas did. Only Bridget & Mary Jo consistently make me laugh still.

6 Likes

Absolutely. I haven’t enjoyed much of the Rifftrax catalog because of the harsh, hostile style and the tendency to just state what’s happening on screen and then say how bad it is, but I’ve really gotten into the Mary Jo and Bridget riffs, which are much more in a spirit of fun.

5 Likes

I was just talking about Double Dragon in another thread and had completely missed there was a RiffTrax on it!

Better go hunt this tomfoolery down.

4 Likes

It was funny- can’t imagine actually watching that garbage straight.

2 Likes

We were more naive then… also, young enough to not know better…

3 Likes

I’ve been a RiffTrax Friends subscriber for some time now. Of all the streaming services I subscribe to, I would say I use theirs’ the most.

12 Likes

bless them for adding stuff for free on youtube. birdemic is a thing of beauty. will be watching roller gator this weekend and i’m getting some real future war vibes from the thumbnail.

11 Likes

Personally, there’s a joke in “little shop of horrors” that was a step too far - if you’ve seen the episode you probably know which one I’m talking about. To their credit, after Mike says it I’m pretty sure all three immediately recoil from it (based on memory, I haven’t revisited that episode). I love so much everything mst3k and it’s really against type so I haven’t held it against them. But it struck me at the time.

3 Likes

I’ve gone to several of the movies in the theaters - it’s fun to be with like-minded people who ‘get it’.

9 Likes

Is that Lake Minnetonka by any chance? I hear it’s a great way to purify one’s self before or after a pickup basketball game and a pancake breakfast.

6 Likes

It is indeed! The RiffTrax crew would wisely choose shirts over blouses before getting schooled, I’m sure.

3 Likes

So those of you who’ve gone a-riff shoppin’: given the option, do you prefer to buy the physical media or rock the download?

Myself, I used to be exclusively for the purchase of DVDs, but I’ve found myself leaning more and more toward digital purchases. I think mostly because a lot of their stuff isn’t settled onto plastic. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Physical for me. Goes for music and games as well. No DRM to break; no loss of content if a business model fails; no ties to an ecosystem (well, minus games). Plus I like having the artwork and whatnot that comes with all of it.

Only issue is needing space to hold all of it.

7 Likes

I love both RiffTrax and MST3K! I especially love that RiffTrax riffs current movies. Maybe I have a strange sense of humor but I never found anything they did “harsh” or overly mean, so the criticism here frankly surprises me. Their riffs really save some movies. I don’t think I ever want to watch The Last Jedi without a riff again, ever. (My most hated Star Wars film).

Also, the only thing that made WW1984 bearable was Mary Jo and Bridget riffing it. Like, really, what were they thinking with WW1984? Being Wonder Woman means you can wear high heels well? Don’t get me started. LOL.

10 Likes

Physical for me as well, for all the reasons @ColdStorage listed. I buy physical and make my own digital from it; the physical becomes my worst-case backup and lives out of sight. For MST3K I always buy physical; for RiffTrax, mostly digital since there are relatively few physical items available.

For the stuff you treasure, remember: Make backups, then make backups of those backups.

4 Likes

I like to buy the DVDs for my father, who doesn’t do streaming. Not that he watches DVDs either, but to be fair, he forgot how the DVD player works. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of their stuff. They do tend to go a little further than I’d like sometimes. But they’ve also got a ton of great material. And sometimes… Sometimes there’s stuff like Demon Bat, where it deserves everything they throw at it (and possibly more).

I liked the Friends deal. I did that for a couple of months and just went through that whole catalog.

If you’ve got Amazon Prime, there’s a good selection of Rifftrax material included free. (Although a fair amount of it overlaps with what they put on the Rifftrax Twitch channel.)

Honestly, when I heard about the Gizmoplex, my first thought was to wonder how it would be different from “Rifftrax, but with the other guys.” But the tone is different and we’ll have the bots and host segments. And a bigger stable of hosts. And more interaction with fellow fans. (Rifftrax does have a comments section on each movie page, but it’s well hidden and doesn’t get much traffic. We’ve already got more of a community here.) And… we’ll see what else they come up with.

I’ve got the DVDs of Cinematic Titanic, but for Rifftrax, having a digital library is just fine. Mostly because I’m used to streaming everything these days. But also because I don’t often rewatch a Rifftrax I’ve already seen. (And I definitely don’t go watching Rifftrax of any movie I’ve enjoyed on its own.)

4 Likes

I guess this would be off-off-topic, but as anyone else been enjoying The Mads monthly livestreams? I missed the first half dozen or so, but have joined the last three and am looking forward to next weeks: “The Beach Girls and the Monsters”

8 Likes

2 answers…

1. I love the physical, and buy the DVD/Blu-Ray at every opportunity. In the case of Rifftrax, buying the DVD/Blu-Ray at the official site gives you a digital copy, too.

2. Most of their releases are, of course, not on physical media, and I have no qualms about digitally buying anything not released physically.

I generally use the digital, even if I own a physical copy, but like having both.

5 Likes