RiffTrax

Will it be a good thing or drive me crazy?

1 Like

I’m going through and watching as many of the Mary Jo and Bridget ones and tonight it’s “Deadly Instincts”. There’s a shot of soapy water from a girls locker room shower coming out of a pipe and Mary Jo quietly riffs “I bet if you bottled that Japanese businessmen would buy it.” I love those two so much!

4 Likes

My hot streak with the Big Three (Dangerous Men, A Dangerous Man, The Minion, Captain Marvel) has come to an end.

Day of the Assassins has a rating of 9.5 at the website, but man, aside from a handful of chuckles, it left me cold.

Mikey was better, there are solid quips to be heard, but the movie’s subject matter was angering (and it lacks the goofy incompetence that allows me to get through other angering movies). The guys did make me laugh with comments that challenged the logic of the ending. So, not void of humor, but not one I want to revisit.

3 Likes
7 Likes

5 Likes

A “video nasty”! The BBFC banned this until 2003 and still required three minutes of cuts for an 18 certificate.

The director of this one would follow this up with Cannibal Holocaust, a “found footage” film which infamously got mistaken for a snuff movie by the Italian authorities because he told the actors to go into hiding for a year and got him charged with multiple counts of murder. He had to get them out of hiding to clear his name and still ended up with a suspended sentence for the animal cruelty in that film. They killed a bunch of animals for real on camera, including two monkeys for one scene.

It also ended up getting banned in a lot of countries but has since been released with cuts in most. The latest British release required 15 seconds of animal cruelty being taken out.

3 Likes

Y’know… having read original Watchmen (but never seen the movie) I think if a director came to me with a proposal to disappear for a year on their behalf, I’d probably shrug my shoulders, politely decline, and then go plead again for Happy Chef to hire me on full-time. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes

It gets worse - he made them kill the animals.

1 Like
2 Likes

Would be interesting to pit that mascot against Crackers, The Corporate Crime Fighting Chicken.

1 Like

Crackers, the Crime Fighting Chicken, now that’s a name I have not heard in a long time…

2 Likes

BTW, for non-comic book readers, Jennifer Albright’s Rifftrax poster art for Cap Marvel mirrors a famous Alex Ross cover… makes me wonder if they’ll continue with this if/when they do more chapters?

3 Likes

Cyber Tracker is premiering on YouTube right now, and will be added to the free movie library.

2 Likes

The Cats poster mirrors Drag Me To Hell. I kind of like this poster mash-up trend.

4 Likes

And now for some more Fu Manchu.

5 Likes

Tonight I watched their riffed version of Viva Knievel!. What a piece of 70’s schlock with a supporting cast that sounds more like the lineup for a Dean Martin roast: Leslie Nielsen, Frank Gifford, Red Buttons, Gene Kelly, and to make it as 1970’s as possible, Marjoe Gortner. Plus an underused Cameron Mitchell as a bonus.

I had to laugh at one particular riff. In a scene where they are in “Mexico” (I don’t think this film had the budget to shoot beyond Long Beach) and Frank Gifford is broadcasting EK’s thrilling jump attempt back to los Estados Unidos, Mike says, “By the way, who in their right mind listens to a bike jump on the radio?”. I remember clearly listening to EK’s attempt to jump across the Snake River on our family’s car radio back when it happened. It was a HUGE deal at the time. I think it was only available to watch in theaters on closed circuit TV. It was covered “live” on CBS radio and I clearly recall listening to it. I think Kevin, Bill and even Mike are old enough to recall such events as well.

Then again, he did ask, “who in their right mind?”, so . . . :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Oh that one was just awful.

Not the riffing, but the movie. I don’t know if I ever finished the movie, although it was quite a while ago. I still can access it, but I don’t know if I want to.

This is a good thread for reminding me of what new Rifftraxcats doing: TBH one of my e-mail folders is just crammed full of expired coupons and announcements. Sadly, I haven’t had the time or expendable income to dive into Rifftrax’s Fresh New Meat Grinder. Well, I have had priorities, like expendable income to day drinking at a dive bar, and paying for DUII stuff. And eksetera.

Don’t worry Rifftrax! I’ll catch up! And I’ll get those The Mads too! You haven’t been forgotten! Just misplaced!

3 Likes

Watching the 2018 Rifftrax Live: MST3K Reunion right now!!

:partying_face: Spoiler: the costume contest winner was amazing!

5 Likes

Anyone else having issues with the Rifftrax forums? I keep getting an error.

2 Likes

I’m getting an error that the connection is not private.

1 Like