RiffTrax

I kind of liked Fungicide. Awful movie by every measure, but it looked like everyone involved was having a lot of fun, and that takes some of the sting out for me. Things radiates misery from every pore.

2 Likes

They might have been having fun, but I sure wasnā€™t :grimacing: :smile:

The one that broke me was Baby Ghost, that was a slog, a pain to watch and after that I said, ā€œnever again on one of theseā€

But then I broke that rule and did buy Jurassic Shark during a sale, and I did laugh at that (both movie and riffs), so that was the exception to my rule.

2 Likes

I love Jurassic Shark because of the villainā€™s bonkers plan to send in enough people to get eaten by the shark that it gets full so she can claim the painting for herself.

4 Likes

Not just Twilight but Transformers is the only way I would have watched it. Same for Cats and that Megan Fox TMNT reboot.

Voted for Cats in the Patreon poll as well.

Season 19 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

3 Likes

We tried watching Cats (prior to reports of it being horrid) and we got through about 20 minutes before we were all agreeing to turn it off. I got through it with the riffsā€¦but MANā€¦barely!

2 Likes

7 Likes

Cole and Janet

4 Likes

Because nothing says fantasy like soft rock.

1 Like

200w (1)

1 Like

Iā€™ve enjoyed Cole & Janet in the SF Sketchfests, but Iā€™ve never watched any of their feature-length riffs. Are they any good?

1 Like

This is worth checking out.

02e1c46f-a771-4f37-a588-659835d56e6d_text

2 Likes

Janet and Cole are hilarious, so glad to have a new release from them. (itā€™s downloading as we speak, yay)

2 Likes

Iā€™m disappointed by some of the negative responses at Rifftrax, not to the riff but to the riffers? To me MK&B are not at their peak anymore and are very hit and miss, so I donā€™t get the attitude that not having them do the riff, is somehow a major loss?

Having some variety, a different style, is welcome, and if itā€™s funny, and Janet and Cole are very funny, whatā€™s the problem? Their return should have been a moment to celebrate not whine about.

Anyway, I really enjoyed their riff on Ladyhawke, I got a lot of big laughs out of it. Itā€™s nice to have them back. My favorite of theirs is still Ghost, but theyā€™ve never let me down, Iā€™ve enjoyed them all.

3 Likes

There are those who feel that only people forged in the flames of MST3K are worthy to riff movies.

Those people are wrong, but when thereā€™s as much riffed material out there as there is, youā€™ve got to find a way to narrow down the choices. I donā€™t blame them for sticking with the MST alumni. They are missing out though. Janet and Cole are hilarious and tend to draw from a very similar pop culture well to the one I know and love. Theyā€™re extremely ā€œI :heart: the '80sā€ which is way up my alley, and they have good riffing chemistry to boot. I donā€™t immediately scoop up everything they release, but with a target like Ladyhawke, Iā€™m gonna have to plunk down some money.

5 Likes

I donā€™t blame fans for their choices, but to complain about something theyā€™ve not watched, for a duo who hasnā€™t had a release in 7 years? Thatā€™s pretty petty.

Itā€™s not like they have flooded the market, this is only their 9th feature length trax in total, in a 14-year span.

But itā€™s not all gloom, Iā€™m glad they have their fansā€¦ and I agree with all you said about them.

2 Likes

I bought their riffed version of Dreamscape and enjoyed it very much. I will probably get Ladyhawke during my next shopping spree.

1 Like

If you download the *zip option of a ā€œJust the Jokesā€ riff, it includes a list of Disembaudio synchronisation timings. This means that, when youā€™re mixing the audio, you can edit out Disembaudio before merging the tracks.
For reference, I use the following (free) programmes to create the finished product:

1. AnyVideoConverter: extracts the original movieā€™s audio to a *.wav file.
  2. Audacity: trimming the RiffTrax MP3 and syncing it with movie audio, before muting Disembaudio and exporting the result as a merged file.
  3. AnyVideoConverter again: recombining the video with the edited audio.

Or if you have a media player that can access alternative audio tracks you can skip the recombination bit. This is useful if the movie is one you also enjoy without riffs.
Thereā€™s probably some software out there that can embed multiple audio tracks in a single movie file, but I havenā€™t found a good free one yet.

3 Likes

I left a comment at Coleā€™s Letterbox page, could a 10th release be on the horizon? (I wonder what 80s movies they are considering?)

They did Ghost? Iā€™ll have to check that out since it stars our Christmas savior. I finally got around to that movie a couple of years ago on Showtime and itā€™s really good. That check scene with Whoopi is hilarious. I still need to get around to the Dirty Dancing one I bought. I have yet to see that movie to be honest.

Matthew and Ian sometimes have good ones but not as much as the other duo. Love Matthewsā€™ Die Hard riff.

3 Likes

The live swampthing vod should be out this week itā€™s been 60 days.

3 Likes