RiffTrax

Didn’t they previously do Danny’s Dental Date? They did some dental short before, I know that much.

1 Like

They did Danny’s Dental Date live preceding Return of the Swamp Thing. This is the studio version.

2 Likes

Thanks, I was trying to remember where I saw that nightmarish thing (did the Mads do it, or someone else?) That was a good way to start the Swampy show (which I remember enjoying in total).

1 Like

Am I losing my mind, or was this the short that played before Rifftrax Live: Swamp Thing?

(I could be losing my mind)

2 Likes

Psst…read the last couple posts above yours.

2 Likes

OOPS! Thanks @Vader !

Out of politeness, I just :+1: the Rifftrax marathon on Le Tube. But it’s James Nguyen so pretty sure I’m only going to last five minutes.

4 Likes

Coming soon!

7 Likes

TOM STEWART KILLED ME!

6 Likes

Oh fun! I love it when B&MJ take on movies used on MST3K. My wife and I both agreed their version of Angels Revenge is even funnier than the MST3K cut.

3 Likes

So my wife and started to watch the RiffTrax Live: Giant Spider Invasion last night. The short preceding the movie was quite funny, but we dropped the movie probably 5-10 minutes in. My wife said it felt like they were grasping as straws and I agreed. Every riff felt like a lesser unfunny version of a similar better riff from the MST3k episode. I felt similarly for the Live Space Mutiny and their riff of A Case of Spring Fever.

I don’t mind when they double dip on material already done by MST3k provided it was something earlier from the Joel era (I loved the RiffTrax of Manos and Magic Sword) or if Bridget and MJ try their hand at one of the MST3k flicks (they did great with Angels Revenge), but if it’s from the Sci Fi era it never feels like they have much of a different angle on the riffing and it just doesn’t work that well for me. I know it’s probably an easy sell for fans just for the nostalgia of it, but I think I will pass on any more riffs of stuff already done on the Sci Fi channel era of MST3k.

3 Likes

This is my general opinion of most Rifftrax re-riffs of MST3k classics.

2 Likes

I think if you take them in without the baggage of comparing them to the originals, they stand on their own more often than not. It’s just really hard to turn off that mindset when they keep picking the most iconic episodes ever.

I find that I end up with a pretty milquetoast impression when I walk out of the live showings, but then when I catch them on Twitch or something I laugh 'til my sides split.

I don’t know how hot of a take this is, but I think I actually prefer the Bridget and Mary Jo riff of Angel’s Revenge to the MST3K episode.

7 Likes

I agree, Bridget and MJ did the best version of Angels Revenge.

I will say I did enjoy the Live Time Chasers mostly just cause I got to see the rest of the movie and that spiced it up. I don’t think it was superior to the MST3k episode but it definitely gave me a more positive impression than the “reheated leftovers” feeling I got from some of the others.

4 Likes

The most interesting thing to me about their live re-dos of GSI and Space Mutiny were the bits of movie we saw that weren’t there on the first take.

I thought the Angels Revenge do-over was likewise fine, but nothing spectacular.

2 Likes

I enjoy the redos if it’s something besides what was covered in the sci-if channel era, since with Joel’s, Trace’s, and/or Frank’s influence on the writing, the original definitely feels different enough from the RiffTrax effort and they both seem to occupy different viewpoints and perspectives on the riffing. Even with the benefit of a few decades time, RiffTrax still feels closest to the Sci Fi era of the show (for obvious reasons) and the result is a bunch of the same types of jokes or jokes making the exact same point, just written differently and, usually, less interestingly.

2 Likes

Me three. I also enjoyed their version of The Brain That Wouldn’t Die more than the episode (sorry Mike!), and their new Tormented riff is on par with the Joel episode and also solid.

1 Like

I watched Shrunken Heads last night, and that movie’s a bit messed up. Even more in that it seems to be aimed at kids/teens.

But I also watched Tormented recently and really enjoyed it. Easily as good as the MST3K version.

1 Like

Shrunken Heads has all sorts of WTF going on. Most of all, a former Tonton Macoute member being portrayed as a good guy.

1 Like

Janis Joplin fans and old Heads in general will totally get this album artwork.

9 Likes