Robot Clones?

The Finale of MST3K had Tom and Crow moving in with Mike on Earth with Gypsy becoming a mogul. When Kinga kidnapped Jonah, did she also kidnap Tom, Crow and Gypsy or did she create clones of them? I’m guessing clones since the new host Emily will have her own versions of Tom and Crow with their own distinct voice actors, implying that both sets of robots exist at the same time. Could Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbet possibly return with Mike Nelson as the Prime Tom and Crow in a later season?

5 Likes

I think Jonah built his own versions of Servo and Crow, while updating GPC.
Besides, we’ve already seen extra versions of the bots along with the new ones in Season 12. I predict a mix-up just like the movie Big Business, but that can be changed by “fixing” the voiceboxes.
That’s my speculation and I’m open for discussion.

6 Likes

My theory is there comes a point when Crow and Toms split from the original and become a distinct Crow and Tom.

The KTMA/Comedy Channel/Comedy Central/Sci Fi Tom and Crow are the originals and live on with Mike in his apartment.

Jonah’s bots pick up from there, continuing to evolve distinct personalities. Emily’s bots branch off from Jonah’s bots.

The real question is if variations like Frank’s one time voicing of Tom in the Giant Gila Monster DVD skit, Tim Ryder’s Tim Servo/Tour Servo, Grant Baccioco’s Crow and the Animated Bots Are Back bots also count as distinct variants or mino… wait, what’s that? It’s just a show and I should really just relax?

6 Likes

It has been established many times that there are many Toms, and at least a couple Crows. Anything past that falls into “really just relax” territory.

4 Likes

headcannon is that ConGypCo built them human suits so now they go by “Kevin” and “Bill”

5 Likes

Can you clone a robot?

1 Like

Yes, but they’re temperamental about that kinda thing.

2 Likes

Heretic!

2 Likes

We are getting Joel back for an episode but I would like to see Mike, Bill, and Kevin reprise their roles in the future. That was the lineup that got me hooked in the first place.

4 Likes

There was no MST3K animated project. None. It was all a fever dream

5 Likes

arresteddevelopmentnotfound

4 Likes

In my head, “those special parts” never really made the movies begin and end—they were planted there as part of the experiment so that every test subject would find them and build the 'bots.

3 Likes

I’ve always presumed that Kinga recreated Tom/Crow/et al because they were part of dad/gram’s experiment, and she, ever the machinating fame chaser, wanted to set Jonah up the same way to help her own success.

Not to be No Fun Nancy over here, but it is fairly certain the Rifftrax guys are unlikely to come back into the fold. We know Bill has a connection with Joel still, and we know Kevin came back to be Bobo in s11, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Bill say he’s happy to leave the actual MST days in the past, and he’s probably the most open of all the former cast (obviously aside from MJ, who is part of the new season).

That said, I also know that the last official Alternaversal stance on it (from some time in the kickstarter) was basically “everyone has been invited and knows they’re welcome, but we respect that they do not wish to do so at this time, so please don’t bug them about it.” So the door is presumably open to everyone who isn’t named Jim Mallon, but they’re not inclined to come in and definitely don’t want to feel pushed there.

1 Like

Bill has specifically said he was done with doing Crow for good after the MIGIZI special event.

2 Likes

Didn’t Tom destroy all his clones in the finale though? The only other Crow I know of is Timmy his evil, black Xenomorph-like clone.

I dunno. there are a lot of Crows in the Netflix season. Three come to mind.

*Crow being sent to the repair shop and Jonah getting a clunker backup Crow.

*One scene in Theatre where they are (maybe) Playing fetch and Crow exists stage right passing another Crow coming back (“Hey Crow”) - this i always thought was a accident. Easier to replace a bot than turn it around, maybe puppeteers sliding along on creepers or something. When they realized they caught it on camera they threw in an vocal acknowledgement.

*And finally there was a Crow with the mysterious Matt Claude Vann Damn

My personal head cannon is waaaay back when Joel built his robot friends it changed the parameters of the experiment and since Mike kept it going all experiments have to have bots in them.

2 Likes