S13 Episode Downloads Not at Same Resolution As Streams

On the TOS BluRays, there is[1]. I think they might just stream the with-CGI versions though.

[1] Although even the no-CGI version still has phaser blasts done in CG because the original hand drawn ones don’t exist on the film elements.

1 Like

Chiming in on broadcast quality - it makes me think of the MST episode, the Wild Rebels… the riff on the credits about the glaucoma players? That was a funny quip back when we were watching on the older TVs and/or watching a VHS copy. But you catch that episode today on HD and you can clearly see the names.

So, just an example where improved picture quality killed a joke.

(but yeah, overall I prefer what we have today)

4 Likes

Another example was when there was a newspaper headline saying “U.S. Enters War!” filling the screen. They knew that overscan would block some of it, so the riff was “S Enters Wa”. Today, not watching on an analog TV, we see the whole headline and the joke appears to make no sense.

2 Likes

Boy they sure had it better back then. Those lucky ducks.

2 Likes

Another good example, also CBS/Paramount, are the Mission: Impossible series Blu Rays - they just pop on screen and look incredible for something that old. When I first bought them and ripped them to my server I tried ripping at 720p to save a little space, but ended up going a little higher and ripping all 7 seasons at 1080p to retain that crispness of the Blu Rays.

2 Likes